The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mojave MA 200 on guitar cab? Condenser Microphones
Old 24th August 2007
Here for the gear

Mojave MA 200 on guitar cab?

I would appreciate if anyone who has used this mic in this application would comment on it's sound. I used a real U67 on a Fender Deluxe the other day and absolutely loved it. I've done the 121 + 57/ 421 thing for several years now and like it but the 67 was another flavor that that I could see really working for certain projects. I cannot afford a real 67 in my locker but have heard that there are some similarities with the Mojave MA-200.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 24th August 2007
Hi Mark,

It really depends on the sound coming out of the amp. If you are going for a jazzy or clean country sound it can work, because the Mojave has a lot of presence and air. In other words it's not going to accentuate the thick mids of the guitar very much (which is why it's an excellent mic for drum overheads). If it's a crunchy or heavily distorted sound, it's not my personal cup of tea for that specific application. I'd try your AK-47 on the cab (the AK and Mojave are voiced quite differently). Either way, both mics will very likely have to be padded at least 10db or more on the output because they are hot and can easily overdrive the input of the preamp. Good luck.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

How would you compare the AK 47 to the mojave? I have the mojave and like it, but its a little too essy on most singers..
Old 24th August 2007
Here for the gear

Thanks Nathan. I haven't tried the AK-47 yet because I was a bit nervous using my most high end mic in that capacity but I'll give it a shot.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Hey there. I have a little rig that I am crazy about... it's a modded bassman head, and a silvertone 2x12 cabinet with mojo tone speakers. Sounds unbelievable. I have several great amps, but this has been winning out a lot lately. I have been messing around with different micing on it... and the other day I stuck the MA-200 in front of it... about 2 to 3 feet back. It floooored me!! Normally I don't like this tecnique, but in my "dead" room it gave me one of the biggest, fattest, most natural and "in your face" tones I have heard in a long time! REALLY cool. Blew the socks of my U87 in the same place.

Definitely try it. I don't like it much up real close....too flabby (as are most LD mics to me), but back a ways... wow!!
Old 24th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprather View Post
Thanks Nathan. I haven't tried the AK-47 yet because I was a bit nervous using my most high end mic in that capacity but I'll give it a shot.

It won't hurt the AK47 at all (or the Mojave). Steve's got the right idea about pulling it back a bit too, on the grill or even a foot away sounds not so great with most condensers on guitar cabs to my ears. They need a little room to come into focus.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search