The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is there any cure for this madness? DAW Software
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Is there any cure for this madness?

If I honestly looked at how much I spend a month on gear it'd floor economists. I buy gear like I'm buying gasoline. I don't think twice about it.

I'm wondering if it's some kind of disease or nervous disorder.

I cut down on my drinking and suddenly I'm an mic and EQ geek. Maybe I should become alcoholic to cut damages.

I've never known such a beast. stike
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

How do you know you wouldn't buy even MORE gear if you were drunk all the time?
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Sadly (or happily, depending on your perspective), no.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Funny thing Soupking, I was going to start a post on this last week. My condition is serious- I'm not kidding. I can't stop buying stuff...I spend waaaay to much $$ on gear and I already have more than I ever dreamed about years ago when I first started. You know you're in trouble when you say "after I get X I'll be good and will never need to buy anything else." Well then there's the A-Designs Hammer, the AnaMod, blah blah blah. I'm going now, see you guys later, I have to go spend some more money. And the crazy thing is that I am literally out of room- so much damn gear I can't even fit it all in my racks. Yeah I know, you feel sorry for me- what a problem that is, LOL.
Old 24th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Peck View Post
How do you know you wouldn't buy even MORE gear if you were drunk all the time?
LOL
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

bro, i would if i could.

buy that much gear all the time.

and don't doubt for a second that i won't as soon as i can.

that'll be as soon as i'm out of my current debt (guess what it's for?)

i already have the next, ooh, 50 grand spent. the money i will briefly have just doesn't know it yet.

and the list goes on...

at least going out drinking keeps you off gearslutz.

and nobody's gonna give you a fat loan to go on the piss now are they?
Old 24th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watersound View Post
And the crazy thing is that I am literally out of room- so much damn gear I can't even fit it all in my racks.
I've got empty racks if you need space

lol

I can't afford my addiction... I mix for peanuts... (or used gear)
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Guru

Yeah. Bankruptcy. hehhehhehheh

If you really can't help yourself, try selling stuff that you don't need on ebay as you buy new stuff. Or even better, buy used stuff on ebay. This way you are always getting new toys but aren't always emptying your wallet.

I used to have two pro tools mix plus rooms that I needed to condense to one. I sold everything redundant and upgraded to PT HD2 and a brand new G5 and it cost me nothing but it had that new smell.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

The ups man must love you.. You prob fill half his truck up and is done early after leaving your house.
Old 24th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Produceher View Post

Yeah. Bankruptcy. hehhehhehheh

actually - i think bankruptcy generally CONTRIBUTES to the madness....

Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye View Post
actually - i think bankruptcy generally CONTRIBUTES to the madness....

Uhhh yeah. That's probably like step 1 or 2 I'm guessing. Unless you live at the studio. Then nobody can find you.

Quote:
The ups man must love you.. You prob fill half his truck up and is done early after leaving your house.
Used to, he recently retired and handed me to his new recruit, Wells Fargo.

Quote:
Funny thing Soupking, I was going to start a post on this last week. My condition is serious- I'm not kidding. I can't stop buying stuff...I spend waaaay to much $$ on gear and I already have more than I ever dreamed about years ago when I first started. You know you're in trouble when you say "after I get X I'll be good and will never need to buy anything else." Well then there's the A-Designs Hammer, the AnaMod, blah blah blah. I'm going now, see you guys later, I have to go spend some more money. And the crazy thing is that I am literally out of room- so much damn gear I can't even fit it all in my racks. Yeah I know, you feel sorry for me- what a problem that is, LOL.
Yeah, I'm so in the hole and I just started using a compressor for my first time (which is about to begin another thread). It's just there so much crap that's needs attending to.

Sound engineering is a boat with a 1000 freaking holes, and they come in about 31 different flavors. After a while it's like that movie, "Room 1408", and all you wish you had was a key to get out of the ****.

I'm just glad that i finally have the opportunity to sell some stuff because I'm with you on the racks. I'd have to buy another one of those too! And then solder more Mogami! Ahhhh!!!! I don't even care at this point. I need reverb and I'm looking for a rev7. I could care-a-less about "what's hot" at this point. I just need basic shapes to fill the damn holes. I don't care what they're made of. I want to get back to the mixing board!

Yarrr!!

I wish you all luck, it's a rough sea out there!

-soupguy
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Produceher View Post
If you really can't help yourself, try selling stuff that you don't need on ebay as you buy new stuff.
Ahh . . . now see . . . this is MY problem . . . I can never seem to bring myself to let go of ANY gear.

A couple of months back it dawned on me . . .

For so long now, I've been hauling around and storing sh*t that I was keeping "because I might need it some day". If I were to add up the rent on storage and moving costs over the past 10 years on stuff I haven't used in at least as long, I'd probably have enough money to buy a number of the things I've long been lusting for . . .
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

You have a bad case of GAS

Gear Acquisition Syndrome
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search