The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pre for 500 format- Desert island Pre 500 Series Preamps
Old 11th December 2007
Gear Maniac

+1 for 512
Old 11th December 2007
500 series nutjob

congratulation wanderlust8
the LaChapell Audio 583s i had in for review was amazing!
i do love the more Mid forward sound, so i am hooked, hook, line, and sinker, on the P-1s, but we all have differant taist's.
the EM BLUE is sweet as well, it has just a bit of color, but is much more balanced, and not as mid forward as the P-1, well worth a good look.
having stated, the P-1 as being to mid forward for your vocals, and the Great River just not fitting you vocals, i would bet you will love the LaCapell.
let us know if you get a Purple BIZ, i have not had the good fortune just yet to try one:(~
congrats on the Eisen, "nevish" Pre (St. Ives transformer)!!!!!
and a round for Mr. Eisen!
Old 20th December 2007
Atlas Pro Audio Juggernaut

This is the new Atlas Pro Audio Juggernaut 500 series preamp. The design is a colaboration between Tim Farrant and myself.
It is still in the final stages of beta and should be out early Spring time of '08.

• Class A & discrete electronics
  • Switchable custom input transformers (iron or nickel), short auto mute when switching between the two
  • Custom output transformer
  • Boost - Low gain or high gain settings (eliminates the need for input pad, which would affect the sound adversly)
  • Detented gain potentiometer made by Alps (approx 1db increments)
  • Detented/variable impedance (300 ohms to 10,000 ohms) on mic preamp
  • Instrument input
  • Heavy duty fluted aluminum knobs
  • Mute button
  • Most important - buttons glow when activated (still need input on this, we're deciding between green, blue, or red or some combo of)
  • +THD is pad on output to drive it a bit
Old 20th December 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
This is the new Atlas Pro Audio Juggernaut 500 series preamp. The design is a colaboration between Tim Farrant and myself.
It is still in the final stages of beta and should be out early Spring time of '08.

• Switchable custom input transformers (iron or nickel), short auto mute when switching between the two
  • Boost - Low gain or high gain settings (eliminates the need for input pad, which would affect the sound adversly)
  • Detented gain knob made by Alps (approx 1db increments)
  • Instrument input
  • Mute button
  • Most important - buttons glow when activated (still need input on this, we're deciding between green, blue, or red or some combo of)
Looks pretty fresh. Congrats to you and Tim
Old 20th December 2007
Gear Addict

wow! nice and clean interface! can't wait to hear this beast!
Old 20th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust8 View Post
Well... finally did it and have an empty BAE lunchbox and i'm itching to put my first pre inside! But... I can only afford one.

It needs to be utilitarian: Vocals (female-me!), Bass DI, Synths/keys, and acous/classical gtr. NO Live drums. Ofcourse I'm looking for deep bass, smooth mids, and open highs. My main mic is a C-1.

So far, it seems the BAE 312a, Purple Biz, or a OSA may do it? I visited the wonderful Listening Sessions site and the API 3124 'sound' didn't make me quiver.... am I a bad girl??? thanks!
I like to use either the SH Gama on the nickel setting, or the P1 for female vocals. I usally find the Gama on nickel a lil smoother than the P1 for silibant female vocalists.

I luv the API for DI on rock bass. The P1 is also very nice on DI bass too. I have a pair of P1's and use these for drum overheads, and for stereo pads/keys and such. The P1's help to bring life to digitalsynth patches.

You might want to look into the A-Designs blue, as it aslo has a nickel xformer like the Gama. You are in LA right? Maybe some slutz in LA can help a girl out and you could see which ones you like yourself.

Old 20th December 2007
Quote:
  • Instrument input
  • Mute button

wow...looks amazing. love the mute button. only the Daking mic pre
(as i recall) has a mute button. love the variable impedance knob.
if you need a beta tester...(yeah, right...i'm sure you're not hurting for
those). i vote for green or blue buttons, fwiw.

cheers,
marty.
Old 21st December 2007
500 series nutjob

Quote:

• Instrument input
  • Mute button

sweet
looks very nice Nathan!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search