The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Should I upgrade from my Pro Co Cables?
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Should I upgrade from my Pro Co Cables?

My studio is wired with Pro Co cable.

Would I hear an improvement if I upgraded to a high end cable like Mogami?

If so, where is a good place to get high end cableing at reasonable prices?

Thanks!
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Nut

As a general rule, I'd say it's doubtful, assuming you are using the same gauge and essentially the same type of wire.

I've got mostly Mogami wiring in my studio, but I've got other stuff too.

The main reason I buy Mogami wire is that I buy the raw cable and connectors and build my own cables, and the Mogami is nicer to work with (stripping and soldering, etc.), and things just go together that much quicker and easier.

Good quality connectors can be important as well, because they may be less prone to oxidization.

If you are in a particularly harsh environment and are getting a lot of RFI or EMI in your studio, then you might benefit from going with quad cable.

I get all my cable supplies from Redco Audio: Redco Audio

Their prices are excellent, and they are great people to work with. They can also offer good advice for your wiring needs. They also tend to be very quick with their shipping.

You can order the materials to build your own, or you can have them build the cables for you.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I get all my cable supplies from Redco Audio: Redco Audio

Their prices are excellent, and they are great people to work with. They can also offer good advice for your wiring needs.

You can order the materials to build your own, or you can have them build the cables for you.
I checked out their site, looks good.

Is the Redco brand of cable good quality? I also see that you can get Mogmi from them as well, but it costs more.

Also, how long does it take for them to get cables to you once you order?

Thanks
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptoolate View Post
Is the Redco brand of cable good quality? I also see that you can get Mogmi from them as well, but it costs more.
I'm sure it is. I haven't tried it myself. I've often considered ordering some of the Redco cable, to save a few bucks. I probably will at some point.

One of the things I like about the Mogami wire is the twisted shield format, as opposed to the woven shield like some other cables (including the Redco Cables) have. That's one of the main things that makes the cable building process go faster for me.

I suspect that Redco have their private label cable stock made for them by Mogami, Canare, or one of the other companies. That kind of thing is fairly common practice, actually.

Quote:
Also, how long does it take for them to get cables to you once you order?
Well, I'm in NYC and they are in Connecticut . . . so, when I order cable supplies, I often get them within one or two business days. But, depending on your location, and perhaps how big your order might be, it could take longer than that. Of course it makes a difference if you order early or late in the day, and of course it would take longer if you are having them build cables for you, etc.

They often ship stuff USPS Priority Mail, which tends to travel pretty quickly and at reasonable prices.
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Maniac

+1 for Redco. I get all my UCP panels there.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Just order one good cable from Redco Audio - I would suggest Gotham GAC-3 with gold Neutriks.

The price difference between good and best is peanuts on one cable.

Now, you have a reference. Swap out your cables one by one, and see if it makes a difference. Especially on mic cables, especially on ribbon or dynamic mics.

Then you will know.
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Guru

Hear a difference? I doubt it.

What I would suggest is as you need "new" cables, buy some better ones. When it's time for a new patchbay for example, wire it with something better. Slowly move to better cabling.

But to rip out all your cables and replace it, you'll be disappointed.
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Maniac

After reading about cables a while ago I got a few Mogami/Neutrik cables (XLR and guitar). I am happy with them and they definitely give me a good and clear connection and don't take anything away from the quality of my recordings.

HOWEVER-

I was talking to Bruce from CRC just the other day, while he was putting together a cable for a session, and asked him what he recommends and what they mostly use. He, and the other tech guys there all agreed that they would rather go with something like Gepco cables vs mogami. Bruce said that in an encounter with a fully Mogami wired studio, they noticed that the cable had actually been disintegrating (perhaps iodizing or oxidizing or something, i forget) and that he wouldn't recommend Mogami. He said monster cable is complete crap, which I would agree with, and that he has been really happy with the Gepco stuff. For snakes, the cable is all nice colored and easy to work with, and the cable is just high quality and reliable. He makes cables like crazy, and is an audio guru in my opinion, so i trust his opinion.

Like I said, I have mogami cable and am happy with it, but next time I buy a spool and make some new cables, I think I am going to go with a Gepco/Neutrik combination. I value his opinion...for those of you who don't know Bruce at Chicago Recording Co., he is probably one of the nicest and most genuine guys you will ever meet. Above that, he just has an immense knowledge of all things audio and electronics related, and can usually fix anything. That being said, all it takes is his word and im sold...my two cents on cables
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Pro Co has some decent cables and some very junk lines. If you have their high end stuff, it should have decent shield coverage, which is a major concern.

Redco cable is fine, as is Gotham and Belden. I've been buying Canare, which is excellent and there are several vendors making very cost effective assemblies with Canare at half the price of Mogami, that are great for wiring gear.

I like Mogami for mic cables that I use a lot, because it is light and flexible.
Old 24th August 2007
One with big hooves

ProCo I think is on par with anything else out there if you buy the good stuff. Mogami is pretty easy to work with if your rolling your own cables... the 'RedCo' house brand looks, feels & works identical to the Mogami... for the multipair anyway. There's a lot of good stuff, and a lot of crap stuff in all the major lines... Beldon, Mogami, Canare, etc.
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiburger View Post
I would suggest Gotham GAC-3 with gold Neutriks.
Interestingly, I was told by the folks who own Homegrown Audio Co. | pure silver audio cables that silver oxide is equally as good an electrical conductor as is solid silver. So, while gold plated connectors are less likely to oxidize, if you use the silver connectors, the oxidation doesn't degrade the sound.

They make most of their own connectors, but they actually use the Neutrik XLR plugs with the silver pins on all their XLR cables, and have been very happy with them.

For this reason, I typically buy the Neutrik XLR connectors with the silver pins -- and they are generally about a buck cheaper than the ones with the gold pins.

FWIW.

For people interested in trying out some solid silver cables, Homegrown Audio's prices are very good, and you can get pre-made cables or the cable and connectors to roll your own from them. They are great people to deal with too. They actually make a lot of cables for other companies who rebrand them under their own names.
Old 24th August 2007
I went from the high end ProCo to Mogami gold snakes.. There is an audible difference in the high frequencies (slightly brighter) and -maybe- a better image. I probably wouldn't change the pro-co again unless I was starting from scratch. I know people that prefer the smoothness of the ProCo.

One thing that may make a difference and allow you to get a feel for all of the different kinds of cables:

Replace the cables that that go to and from your dat or 2-mix recorder. I was really thrilled with the Zoalla cables.. Also try Mogami and Canare and make them yourself. You can always use the leftovers as mic cables later..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search