The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What the snot do I need? Monitor Controllers
Old 23rd August 2007
Here for the gear

What the snot do I need?

Hey folks,
Help a guy out. I am trying to build a mobile recording rig with ProTools.
Besides preamps and a G5, what digidesign gear do I need to get 48 simultaneous tracks and a maybe 16 outputs.

Thanks fellas, I would really appreciate your advice.

Bryan Roberts
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

It sounds like you need HD. Consult your local doctor.

just kidding
Click the link
Digidesign | Products | Pro Tools|HD
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

A hankie.
Old 23rd August 2007
The Digi 003 with the Music Production Toolkit would take care of the 48 tracks as long as your computer has the horsepower. The 003 has 8 analog outputs, as well as an ADAT/Optical output and a S/PDIF output. As long as you have the right connecting gear to be able to utilize the digital outputs (and as long as I'm not overlooking something) that should work for you.

Hope this helps,

Cory Spotts
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

A proctologist
Old 24th August 2007
Here for the gear

um yeah,

I know I need basic things like PT HD software, I was more curious about specific I/O gear and cards. Thanks, Bryan
Old 24th August 2007
If you're planning on going with Pro Tools HD, you'll need at least the HD1 pack (which includes Pro Tools HD software and the Core card for your computer) and an interface like the Lynx Aurora 16 (with the LT-HD card) or Digi 192 (possibly with an additional 8 channel D/A card if you can't utilize the digital outs on the 192). This is pretty much the bare minimum as far as HD setups and will run 48 tracks with 16 outs. Keep in mind you'll also need a monitoring unit (such as the Presonus Central Station, Mackie Big Knob, Crane Song Avocet, etc.) which can be cheap or expensive depending on your needs.

Or you could possibly use a Pro Tools LE system like the 003 as I mentioned above (not sure of your budget or the rest of your setup).

Cory
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoder View Post
how does a 003 record 48 tracks at a time?

Sounds like an HD2 or 3 to me.
My thoughts exactly. Hence the link I gave.
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallboypro View Post
Hey folks,
Help a guy out. I am trying to build a mobile recording rig with ProTools.
Besides preamps and a G5, what digidesign gear do I need to get 48 simultaneous tracks and a maybe 16 outputs.

Thanks fellas, I would really appreciate your advice.

Bryan Roberts
I think you'd better expand on '48 simultaneous tracks'. Do you need to record 48 at once?

I bet you want 8-16 in record, 48 in play with 16 buss outs. Is that what you want?

{begin rant}
You gotta ask yourself why Digi has no system diagrams or configuration utilities on the website. It seems like if people knew what they needed they'd be more likely to buy it.

Part of the problem is that Digi decided to re-invent the wheel when they decided what terminology to use. They should have paralleled the analog paradigm. You have to translate from desk i/o, bussing, and tracks to Digi-speak.
{end rant}

You are not alone in your confusion!
Old 24th August 2007
My mistake, I didn't realize he meant TRACKING 48 simultaneous tracks, I thought he just need something that had the capacity to run sessions up to 48 tracks, which is possible with the Music Production Toolkit and the 003.

If we're talking tracking 48 tracks simultaneously, then definitely HD 1, 2, or 3 and 3 Lynx Aurora interfaces with the PTHD card (or something comparable).

Sorry I misunderstood the question,

Cory
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Addict

I remeber reading something about profire lightbridge being able to record x amount of tracks simultaneously but i cant remember if it was 48 or not. I think technically you could do m powered pro tools + music production toolkit + 3 aurora 16's w/adat option. Itd be alot cheaper than HD and if you decided to go HD you could still use the converters.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search