The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
samson c control Studio Monitors
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

samson c control

Any opinions on this?

I know its cheap but does it do its job in a functional non-coloured way?

I really just need something to route a few extra speakers and be able to check stuff in mono

At the moment I have:

Adam A7
Avantone mixcubes
Technics large hi fi

I also have been loaned some Dyanudio bm15a's but I think they are too big for my room.
It would be good however just to be able to flick to them momentarily just to check on yet another system.

I did a search but I couldn't find anything - probably user (me) error!

Cheers
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by recall View Post
Any opinions on this?

I know its cheap but does it do its job in a functional non-coloured way?

I really just need something to route a few extra speakers and be able to check stuff in mono

At the moment I have:

Adam A7
Avantone mixcubes
Technics large hi fi

I also have been loaned some Dyanudio bm15a's but I think they are too big for my room.
It would be good however just to be able to flick to them momentarily just to check on yet another system.

I did a search but I couldn't find anything - probably user (me) error!

Cheers
I think this is the one that steals some of your tone away and is very cheaply built. I was considering it and read a few really bad reviews. In the budget category Presonus has one that is built with better specs and lower noise. Check out Front End Audio | Your Ultimate Pro Audio Dealer | 888-228-4530 they have it for sale there. Ask for Warren, he will be able to give you some great advise about this or whatever else. He's given me some great advise about monitors and such, and so far I'm happy with all his recommendations. Prices are good, not always the cheapest though, but the service is excellent which makes it worthwhile.
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Addict

I used a Samson C-control for about 2 years. No switches, leds, or pots failed, or got noisy/scratchy. A nice touch was an interlock between monitor switches, that switch one monitor set off as the other is switched on, automatically. I wish I still had that feature. Do other units sound better? Yes. However, I did not feel that the unit could have given me better service, for $100. My current unit, bought from a person on this board, is a Mackie Big Knob. It is not a favorite of people on the board...It gives me a bit more adjustment opportunites, and a slightly more open sound quality. The darling of the inexpensive monitor controllers is of course, the Presonus unit. Friends have had quality control problems, but only with early production units...I have never been fond of the remote control, both ergonomically, and because of the fact the actual signal path passes into the RC, and back again...

In your situation, I assume you are using the hi-fi amp to power the Avantones. The C-Control would do a fine job of switching the A7's and the Avantones, with some coloration, but none that is not acceptable for $100. It is also very simple to add a sub to the monitoring situation.

Mileage always varies, but my time spent with the C-Control was positive, not negative.

Best.
Byll

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search