The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Starting Home Studio
Old 23rd August 2007
Here for the gear

Starting Home Studio

Well as you see I am starting a decent studio just for vocals right now but eventually I do want to expand but once I move into a house because unfortunately I live in an apartment but this is what I plan on getting. Any suggestions on getting rid of something and replacing it please let me know the more money I save the better. I'm looking at a price range around $6000.00 I do have Pro Tools because it's industry standard but it's M-Powered. Here's the set up

New iMac 2.8 ghz 4 gigs 500gig Hard drive $2500
500 external glyph drive $300
1814 firewire interface $200
mpc1000 $800
allen & Heath 16:2 $1000
AKG 414 $900
patchbay $50-100
studio desk $150
furman $100

So thats what Im starting with this is my first official setup. I have an old iMac but I need to upgrade so Im thinking of geting th new one well let me know guys thanks

The Newby
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Monitors?
Old 23rd August 2007
Here for the gear

home studio

sorry yeah I already have the m audio bx5s and ima get a subwoofer because they lack a lot of low end but I've learned my monitors so ima stick with those for now.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Acoustic Treatment and 1 nice pre. 1 good compressor. 1 good set of plugs.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

In my opinion I would ditch the AKG 414. I like that mic but not for an only mic. I think you can get into a decent pair of SDC and 1 LDC for a grand.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flail19 View Post
In my opinion I would ditch the AKG 414. I like that mic but not for an only mic. I think you can get into a decent pair of SDC and 1 LDC for a grand.

If he's just doing hip hop stuff, which it looks like he may be, I think he'd be better off with a decent LDC and maybe a good dynamic mic. Maybe something like a ksm32 and shure sm7 or re20.
Old 23rd August 2007
Baz
Lives for gear

If there's any mic that works better for hip-hop than singing, it's the 414. I've seen pics of Ice-T tracking hip-hop thru a 414. ol' skool I guess lol

A beefy xfrmr based pre will really help him out immediately imho.
Old 23rd August 2007
Here for the gear

home studio

Thanks guys yeah I'm into the hip hop but I also wanna record some vocals from a girl that sings from church really damn good and I need i bang for the buck mic thats why I was thinking the 414. this is so difficult. Gear its a hate and love relationship damn you.tutt
Old 23rd August 2007
Here for the gear

Change

Ok I have a whole new plan let me know what you think I already have a mac book pro so this is what I think ima do

Mac Book Pro 2.33ghz 2 gigs
gig to add 3 $50
between 27-32 inch HD screen $500
003 with music production tool kit $1200
Allen & Heath Mixer 16:2 $1000
Furman $100
M-Audio Bx5a's
Subwoofer $400
TLM 103 ebay $800
MPC1000 $800
desk $200
cables $200
dbx160 $400
Glyph 500Gig $300

Let me know if this is a better path Thanks guys
Old 24th August 2007
I don't like the TLM 103. I would stick with the AKG 414. You can get them new on eBay for $600. I would say get a RE20 or SM7B as well. Buy used, it will save you a lot of money.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by upinflames View Post
I don't like the TLM 103. I would stick with the AKG 414. You can get them new on eBay for $600. I would say get a RE20 or SM7B as well. Buy used, it will save you a lot of money.
+1

I hate to sound like i'm riding the wave-o-h8 for the TLM103 that exists here at gs but this mic is a dog 'for the money.' much better buys for less. i've used this mic a lot and enough to form a legit opinion
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

I would agree that you should stay away from the tlm 103. I've used it a few times and have no desire to buy it. Doesn't sound good enough to justify $1000. I have heard the Tlm 49 is a lot better though, which is what I will probably spend my money on.

I think you should ditch the Allen and Heath mixer and spend that money on a better mic. If you don't have higher quality converters going in and out, than the digi 003, you'll probably do more harm to your signal than good. Or spend the extra money and buy a lunch box with one nice pre.
Old 24th August 2007
Here for the gear

home studio

So you think I should ditch the mixer and get a better converter and pre amps. I dunno its just it would help out in the future for routing capabilities thats why I was thinking of getting it because I have a behringer mixer right now.I do like the converter idea maybe instead I got some more outboard gear because I'm not a big fan of plug ins so dammit this is killing me. No TLM103 what about MK-319 instead. It's cheaper and sounds pretty good for the buck?Well pretty soon I will be getting the money eventually I gotta decide what the hell I'm gonna do.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search