The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any information on free Altec gear I just got! Condenser Microphones
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Maniac

Any information on free Altec gear I just got!

Hey guys,
A church near me had some old stuff laying around they wanted to clear out, and offered to give me it for free... I couldn't resist. Later this week I am picking up a ton of old transformers, take up reels, and other goodies. Soon they will be throwing out an old 16 channel tascam mixer from the late 70's/80's perhaps? Anyway, I just went to check it out yesterday and took this with me-- I will go back this week for the rest. It is an altec piece preamp/mixer.

here are the part numbers
  • 3 modules say 14799A Mixer
  • 1 Module says 14800A Master
  • 1576A Power Supply
  • 1581A Line Amplifier
I took a bunch of pictures and will attach them to this post. Any information you can shed on this thing is greatly aprciated as I really know nothing about it. How would I interface this to my apogee ensemble-- would I need to change the wiring on it or use some kind of converter to make it 1/4 in...is it balanced, unbalanced (probably)?

Is it worth anything? Sound? You get the picture

Thanks! I look forward to findind out about this piece of gear...
Attached Thumbnails
Any information on free Altec gear I just got!-library-091.jpg   Any information on free Altec gear I just got!-library-092.jpg   Any information on free Altec gear I just got!-library-093.jpg   Any information on free Altec gear I just got!-library-095.jpg   Any information on free Altec gear I just got!-library-096.jpg  

Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Maniac

more pictures...hope these help identify it!

I have more but I dont know what the rules on uploading are...perhaps if more are needed i will just photobucket them to avoid any posting troubles

I think these will do though... let me know
Attached Thumbnails
Any information on free Altec gear I just got!-library-100.jpg   Any information on free Altec gear I just got!-library-102.jpg   Any information on free Altec gear I just got!-library-104.jpg   Any information on free Altec gear I just got!-library-106.jpg   Any information on free Altec gear I just got!-library-110.jpg  

Old 24th August 2007
Gear Maniac

:( nobody knows anything about this unit? First time i've seen a stump on gearslutz...someone here always knows something!
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Maniac

one last BUMP perhaps...
Old 25th August 2007
lucky you-
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Maniac

you dont happen to have any information on it do you?
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Maniac

I'm not sure of this but peraps you could ask this on the Electrical Audio Forum (electrical.com) cause there is a lot of people who own altec gear there (and a lot of audio geek too).

Hope it will help.
Good luck.
/NICK.
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Thanks mike, I will go try now...I forgot about the electrical forums... Funny thing about electrical, my parents just moved barely two blocks down the street. Coming back home is interesting driving right past it every day!
Old 26th August 2007

Interesting stuff! Besides the mixers Altec built that most of us are aware of, like the 1567, they built a lot of stuff for school, church, municipal and industrial use.....paging systems, distribution stuff etc. You know like when you were in school and the principal would make announcements into the classrooms. Looks like this is some of that series.
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sutton View Post
Interesting stuff! Besides the mixers Altec built that most of us are aware of, like the 1567, they built a lot of stuff for school, church, municipal and industrial use.....paging systems, distribution stuff etc. You know like when you were in school and the principal would make announcements into the classrooms. Looks like this is some of that series.
This did come out of a church so it could very well be. It makes me wonder how its sound compares to other Altec gear...also, I don't really know much about the more common and popular altec stuff, are the preamps...etc usable? Vintage sounding? Maybe this will add an interesting color to my pallet... hmm
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search