The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cheaper Monitor Power Amp Studio Monitors
Old 23rd August 2007
Here for the gear

Cheaper Monitor Power Amp

Hey all....I'm looking into getting a pair of Event 20/20 passive monitors. I'm currently looking at the Alesis RA300 amp to go with it. Are there any amps in the same price range that would be as good or better w/ the same power rating? Thanks....
Old 23rd August 2007

I think Sampson has a line....

That's a hard amp to beat at that price - unless you find a used amp.

-tINY

Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

I have the exact same set-up (Event 20/20 with Alesis RA300) which ironically I'm looking to sell. It served me well, but I prefer active monitors and recently picked up a pair of Yamaha HS80m's.

I'm sure there are better amps out there, but for the price I feel the Alesis is good choice paired with the Events.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Before Jim Williams says it Biggest used adcom GFA series you can afford! for cheap chines amp money your getting into a highend amp that will serve you well beyond your EVENTS! or maybe a used baby Bryston or parasound or Electron Kinetics Eagle ( a little dark)!!!
Old 24th August 2007
Here for the gear

Webb.......what is it that makes you want to sell your current setup for actives? Just curious.....
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Maniac

When I was looking for monitors, I was on a tight budget. My friend had a set of 20/20 passives that he said I could just have, and had a nice amp...when I went to his house to pick the stuff up, we couldn't find the amp! They had recently had construction done so the amp was either moved somewhere and can't be found or perhaps stolen...either way, I took the monitors home...I had passive monitors and no amp.

I ended up shelling out a little bit of money and getting KRK RP8's and like them a whole lot! I have read all really great reviews about them, and then heard from someone else that they the quality of the monitor varies monitor to monitor, but in my experience, they were well worth it. My mixes sound great, play well on anything, and with active monitors I don't have to worry about space for an amp, in my case space is limited.

That being said, eventually one day, i'll pick up an amp and hook up the 20/20's for another reference. It would be nice to check my mixes on another monitor.

I will be watching this forum for cost efficient and good sounding amps for the 20/20's!
Old 24th August 2007
Here for the gear

bump
Old 25th August 2007

Used AV receivers in the "100w" range should be fine. Just make sure you can turn off all the EQ and spacial processing crap that got popular in the last 10 years.

-tINY

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search