The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Software Gates Dynamics Plugins
Old 23rd August 2007
Software Gates

Trying to use the waves gates... don't like them... they don't react quick enough... but when too quick they click etc

are there any software gates out there that are decent? or should i just go a) hardware b) do the hard yards and edit the audio.

i'm leaning towards editing the audio.

thanks
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Addict

Sonalksis.

GM
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Head

I've had the same beef witht the Waves gates Renn channel, C1 compander

My go-to gate plug these days is Digitalfishphones' Floorfish...seriouslythumbsup

Works great on most material and you don't hear it. Oh, did I mention that it is free?
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Guru
Drawmer's plug in version of the venerable 201 gate is pretty good.
Old 23rd August 2007
Here for the gear

Waves C1 Gate is great. I'm surprised you've had problems with it. Of course setting a super fast attack is going to cause a clicking noise, it's like haveing a bad edit, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing, if used right this can add missing attack back into a kick or snare. Get the gate to the point where it makes that sound you don't like, and then back it down a hair. Listen to it in the mix, not solo'd and see how it fits.

Also, try setting it to be an expander, it won't be as abrupt, or what I sometimes do is duplicate the track, adjust for the plugin delay, and blend the original and the heavily gated to get it to SNAP in a more natural way.
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Maniac

Waves SSL channel strip has a great gate in it. Give that a try
Old 23rd August 2007
BMT
Gear Head

I usually just edit it but ...

if you're on pro tools then the stock gate DYN3 is really nice. It has a look ahead feature which really picks up on the transients.
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
if you're on pro tools
...then just use 'strip silence', havent bothered with gates on PT ever since.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrick19 View Post
Waves SSL channel strip has a great gate in it. Give that a try
Yup. The gate in the new Neve 88RS strip for UA is probably the best one I have ever found in the box.

There is a free-ware VST plug called "Golden Gate" that is very good. It even has sidechain functionality.

Hope this helps...
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah - for PC VST, Sinus Golden Gate rocks. It's uncrippled shareware, not exactly free, but good.

If you actually want an Expander, rather than a Gate, then the Kjaerhus Golden Gate (commercial) is a very good expander. It can't create digital black, so it fails to meet the description of a "gate".
Old 24th August 2007
Thanks guys. I'll try out some of those free gates.

I'm using cubase not tools. should have said that.

the waves gate i played with for about half an hour trying all different settings etc wasn't happy with it... must admit i didn't try it as an expander though.

i completly forgot about the ssl gate... i've got it, just didn't think of it... der.

thanks again
Old 24th August 2007
Led
Lives for gear

Hey Daniel, you can strip the silence out in Cubase. Right click on the clip, click 'process' then select 'noise gate'. You can adjust attack hold and release from there.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

The sonalksis is very smooth, but I got a lot of clicks when demoing it, so I passed. I actually have a fine time with the one in waves ren channel. On toms, I just strip out the silence manually.
Old 24th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led View Post
Hey Daniel, you can strip the silence out in Cubase. Right click on the clip, click 'process' then select 'noise gate'. You can adjust attack hold and release from there.

sweet thanks
Old 24th August 2007
theother
+1 for the Sonalksis.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Don't forget that 0 ms attack will always give you clicks
......unless it's not working properly
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Free+Good: Digitalfishphones Floorfish

Money+Great: Sony Dynamics

More Money+Great: Waves SSL Channel

Free and perfect, but time consuming: editing
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

sonalksis. don't give it another thought.
- c
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

And so far everyone has resisted mentioning Bill Gates ... dfegad
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiburger View Post
And so far everyone has resisted mentioning Bill Gates ... dfegad
Funny, it wasn't that hard to do either...
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

i have the waves gate and get the clicks too even with lookahead enabled. i did demo the sonalksis and was totally blown away by how smooth it was, definitely needed to add some lookahead but overall it's a very nice gate with lots of options. if it included upward expansion i would probably consider it though my waves one does me for now.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticglobe View Post
Yup. The gate in the new Neve 88RS strip for UA is probably the best one I have ever found in the box.
I´ll have to agree on this one.. I recently did a song that used the 88rs on almost all tracks.. (masking noise, etc)... And I liked it ALOT.. Check it out.
Old 27th August 2007
Jam
Lives for gear

It's been a consistent choice of the Sonalksis, strip silence and automating mutes for the last year or so.

Jam
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Nut

Don't know about cubase, but in protools you can key the gate.

Copy the audio track you want to gate to another audio track. Shift the copied tracks audio to the left (ahead) 10-30 milliseconds. Assign the copied tracks output to the key of the gate (key input) you have inserted on your original track. Walla.......! No more pops and clicks. Now you can spend that cash you were thinking of spending on an un-needed plug, on a great bottle of Woodford!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search