The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Reamping Guitar Rig/Amplitube suggestions?
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Maniac

Reamping Guitar Rig/Amplitube suggestions?

Any "how to" advice?

Guitar> tube preamp> sound card>Guitar Rig/Amplitube> sound card> stereo power amp and a stereo 2x12/4x12 cab??

would it be worth it?
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Head

Hey willerichey, not 100% sure what you are working toward, but I've been doing some simulated re-amping using GR2 and the results are not bad. GR2 actually has a preset for it. You have a lot of mic sims and cab styles to choose from, but the challenge is in the mic placement and distance (imagine that...just like real life). I run an EQ after GR2 to bring out the freq's that compliment the source material and obviously good panning is crucial. Add a delay on the re-mic and things get even more interesting.

As far as the set-up you described, if you are trying to get everything accomplished in one shot, I can see latency problems affecting the re-amp output. Are you planning on recording the speaker output? The right room helps too, otherwise, why bother? Hope this helps!heh
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamm View Post
Hey willerichey, not 100% sure what you are working toward, but I've been doing some simulated re-amping using GR2 and the results are not bad. GR2 actually has a preset for it. You have a lot of mic sims and cab styles to choose from, but the challenge is in the mic placement and distance (imagine that...just like real life). I run an EQ after GR2 to bring out the freq's that compliment the source material and obviously good panning is crucial. Add a delay on the re-mic and things get even more interesting.

As far as the set-up you described, if you are trying to get everything accomplished in one shot, I can see latency problems affecting the re-amp output. Are you planning on recording the speaker output? The right room helps too, otherwise, why bother? Hope this helps!heh
Hey Bamm,

Yeah I was looking to remic the speaker and record it back into Nuendo. I guess I would have to shut off all speaker/mic simulation and just run the amp heads through the out put into the power amp and then into the cab.

It was just a wild idea i had, I thought I would be able to increase volume and energy and improve on the sound with mic and preamp.

In theory it would kind of be like having several different heads and one speaker cab to choose from.
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Head

Sounds good one paper, right? I've been setting up an aux in SX and pluging GR2 into it with the distance knobs set deep and a big fat 421 or U87 on axis (no head, no effects, just big cabs). Then I can send as much of the original signal(s) (usually heavy distorted guitars) to the re-mic send as needed. If you don't hard-pan the original guitars (maybe10 o'clock and 2 o'clock) and leave the re-mic in full stereo, it gets pretty big, pretty fast (eq and comp to taste). Let me know how it goes if you try it.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Most people use amp sims because they can't mic up speakers without upsetting the neighbours, or whatever reason.

The setup you decribe would work, but it's only one step away from using a digital guitar amp. Since you don't seem to have an issue with making a loud noise, why not get a real tube amp on the job?

You don't need a lot of power - just good tone. So just track clean guitar with a good clean DI, then Reamp through a good Reamp box thru a real guitar amp and cabs.

A couple of Epiphone Valve Juniors would give you a stereo rig for peanuts. You could use eq plugins to shape the tone - or even insert amp or stompbox plugins ... although the idea is to get away from the digital nasties.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

latency isn't a real problem. Work out the actual latency (in samples) of your system once, and then all you have to do is move that track forward by that number of samples.
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the replys guys.

I have been thinking about getting the Epiphone Valve Jr. Do they crank loud?

Also, is there much difference in the combo vs. the head.cab? I have an 8" old Richenbacher Amp. Are 8" prominenet in recording? Can anyone think of another use besides for a guitar solo that cuts through anything? That is pretty much the only use I have found for the amp.
Old 24th August 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by willerichey View Post
Thanks for the replys guys.

I have been thinking about getting the Epiphone Valve Jr. Do they crank loud?

Also, is there much difference in the combo vs. the head.cab? I have an 8" old Richenbacher Amp. Are 8" prominenet in recording? Can anyone think of another use besides for a guitar solo that cuts through anything? That is pretty much the only use I have found for the amp.
Those Valve Jr's can put out a lot of sound, they're pretty fun. Only problem is they can be honky for certain instances of reamping (and I found they can be too noisy).

Here's the deal with the head vs combo question: various amps sound differently, even two of the same amps can sound different. Do you mean like a combo 2x12 vs a head with a 2x12 cab with the same speakers in each box and the same power output? If that's the case, then no there isn't much of a difference.

There are endless uses for reamping. Put some edge on your backing vocals by throwing them through a marshall stack with a little fuzz and blend them into the original. Make your source sound bigger by getting a stereo micing setup and capture the sound of the sound in your room. Your bass doesn't cut through enough or sit right in the mix? Reamp and play with some pedals on the way to the amp.

Really, your mind is the limit on what reamping is good for.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search