The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bob Lefsetz - Must listen.
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Addict

Bob Lefsetz - Must listen.

AMBC 2007 - AustralAsian Music Business Conference

Check out his keynote speech.

I dont and you shouldn't believe him 100% as he certainly ain't a prophet.. but he's definately more clued up than I am.

Interesting guy too.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

12 mins into it and I still don't get what his point is.

At any rate he reminds me of people I overhear talking in pubs. You don't have to turn around to know that his companions on his table are just nodding politely.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

If you get it, in a meandering and interesting way he paints a picture that explains how and why the biz is where it is today and what the most important element is--the song and that you are either good or you suck! After that it's about what you do to take care of biz. Pretty simple If somebody doesn't get it----well. they just don't get it....
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay View Post
If you get it, in a meandering and interesting way he paints a picture that explains how and why the biz is where it is today and what the most important element is--the song and that you are either good or you suck! After that it's about what you do to take care of biz. Pretty simple If somebody doesn't get it----well. they just don't get it....
heh I meant I was expecting he had a BIGGER (newer) point to make, that he had a unique and fresh perspective on the subject, by the bombastic way he was talking. All that he said is so stale by now, and he wasn't the one who came up with this "theory" or observations. All those points, are anyway at best, speculation of how the industry is developing, and the only people who really know how volatile it is now are those that are having a hands on stake in it.

The way he meanders does nothing but detracts from his "credibility" as a "supposed" industry insider, he sounded like he was selling a book on showbiz trivia. What has the Led Zeppelin hotel adventures got to do with the subject? (I read the Led Zeppelin book and now know why Octopuses may be women's best friends ). C'mon, cut to the chase.

In any case, to me people who have never written a song nor play any instruments and yet comment on what is good and what is bad are no different to those people in pubs "reviewing" a certain soccer player's performance in a match. It is just another person's opinion. It only "matters" if that person happens to be sitting (deservingly or otherwise) on some record company boss's chair.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saudade View Post
heh I meant I was expecting he had a BIGGER (newer) point to make, that he had a unique and fresh perspective on the subject, by the bombastic way he was talking. All that he said is so stale by now, and he wasn't the one who came up with this "theory" or observations. All those points, are anyway at best, speculation of how the industry is developing, and the only people who really know how volatile it is now are those that are having a hands on stake in it.

The way he meanders does nothing but detracts from his "credibility" as a "supposed" industry insider, he sounded like he was selling a book on showbiz trivia. What has the Led Zeppelin hotel adventures got to do with the subject? (I read the Led Zeppelin book and now know why Octopuses may be women's best friends ). C'mon, cut to the chase.

In any case, to me people who have never written a song nor play any instruments and yet comment on what is good and what is bad are no different to those people in pubs "reviewing" a certain soccer player's performance in a match. It is just another person's opinion. It only "matters" if that person happens to be sitting (deservingly or otherwise) on some record company boss's chair.

In my opinion, you have made valid and good points. I
have been in the "biz" a long time. After years of
being a session musician, touring musician, in and out
of deals with bands I have joined or bands I have put
together, I decided to go out on my own "late in
life". I am taking what I have learned from the "old
school" with what I am learning right now and trying
to focus on me, the industry and what the "next move"
is going to be to market and promote and place my
album that'll be ready in about a month (been working
on it for about two years). I "absorb" as much info as
I can. As far as Bob Lefsetz is concerned, maybe he's
"stale" and even maybe a "bit dated", but I think he
comes from a time when guys could "really play",
"really write" etc. etc, etc. Now, I'm not saying
that doesn't exist today, but there's no doubt for me
atleast, that the "artist/industry"paradigm for the most part,
short of some rare exception,has really changed and
that if you are "old school" like me, you either
embrace and understand what's happening today, or you
get "stuck". With all his meandering and bombast,
there is some truth to be garnered from his speech. I
try my best to listen to everyone, even the people out
there who I feel aren't very talented/smart, because
everyone has something to say and you would be really
surprised where inspiration or "fleeting wisdom"comes
from sometimes!! Everything has it's place and there's
a right time and right place for everything......and
as far as art or even opinions are concerned, a great
artist I toured with once said..."raise any flag,
sooner or later someone's gonna salute it!"....and
"there are those that do, and all the others that
****ing criticise"..............peace?...

Last edited by emkay; 24th August 2007 at 06:03 PM.. Reason: omissions
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Lefsetz really nails it here....

YouTube - Interview with Bob Lefsetz
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

I've been reading his blog lately, but it gets pretty repetitive. Lots of cool insight and perspective, but in the end his clever wit is mostly bitching about how the major record labels (or whomever else is his target of the day) are fukked up and doing everything wrong. I'd like to read more about some people who are making the right moves... It's sooo easy to critique and destroy. It takes true talent to create and be positive.

Here's a guy who does just that.

New Music Strategies

The "20 Things" blog/PDF is a MUST read.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6strings View Post
I've been reading his blog lately, but it gets pretty repetitive. Lots of cool insight and perspective, but in the end his clever wit is mostly bitching about how the major record labels (or whomever else is his target of the day) are fukked up and doing everything wrong. I'd like to read more about some people who are making the right moves... It's sooo easy to critique and destroy. It takes true talent to create and be positive.

Here's a guy who does just that.

New Music Strategies

The "20 Things" blog/PDF is a MUST read.

Thanks for that----that's great!!
Old 28th August 2007
jhg
Lives for gear

Thanks for the above link! Good reading.

One thing it made me think of, although not a new idea, is that of incorporating the video camera into sessions, albeit briefly/hopefully not at all intrusivley - hard mounted remote controlled dealies, etc. Make it an included gratuity - you'll get a roughly edited dvd of you in the studio. Really digging the footage and want a higher resolution video? Our video dept.(final cut rig stuffed some/ANYwhere, I've seen some wicked tiny video edit bays) can handle that!

Way off topic. Sorry, but wholeheartedly agree with the approach of trying to provide some new ideas rather than simply bitching, beating the dead horse and not trying to acquire an efficient and satisfying new mount.

Yours blatheringly,

jhg
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhg View Post
One thing it made me think of, although not a new idea, is that of incorporating the video camera into sessions, albeit briefly/hopefully not at all intrusivley
Great idea! More and more bands are posting their recording sessions on YouTube.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search