The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Need some help w/ pedal board power....
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Head

Need some help w/ pedal board power....

Hello all, I could use some help here. I`ve posted on some of the different forums here ( found alot of great information ) about putting together my all Vox Pedal Board. It`s just a project idea I came up a while back after picking up a couple Vox effects... a Wah and a Distortion Pedal and thought I`d run w/ it. I`m pretty much a Gretsch / Vox guy.

My problem is , being VERY new to effects in general, is a power supply. I had planned to just use all the effects w/ just the 9 Volt batteries. ( this is all for my own enjoyment at home , not to gig with ) But now I`ve picked a up a couple that don`t have the batteries , just power outputs.

Should I use all the effects I have now...Wah, Volume Pedal, 830 Distortion, 810 Tone Tone, `80s Chorus and Tone Bender w/ Germanium Charged Fuzz thru a power unit such as a Pedal Power ( original or 2 ) ? Or can some be used w/ the battery and some thru a power unit .... I told you I was new to this .

I see a guy has an orig PedalPower unit for about $85 used on E bay and the new 2s go for about $169. PLease remember this all for at home use.

I realize this was all pretty long winded but I`d really appreciate any help w/ all this you folks can dish out.

Thanks, Mike.
<!-- / message -->
<!-- controls -->
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Most stomp boxes take batteries if you want. If they have power inputs it's usually optional. There are some digital effects that chew so much power they might be external power only.

Connectors can always be changed or rewired, but what you have to watch is the polarity and voltage and earthing of each pedal. And some might take low voltage AC power instead of DC.

Earthing can be a problem. If, for example, you have some pedals that have a negative earth, and others have a positive earth, you can't run them from the same power supply, because when you connect the audio cables, the earths would short out. I believe there are some special boards that have both types of power to make it possible.

Batteries generally sound better - and external power wires tend to pick up hum. If you have a box that really doesn't have a battery holder, you could wire a battery clip to a socket and run it external. The whole board could run off one large battery (or two if you have a mix of earth types).

Many stomp boxes don't have easy access battery compartments. You have to take the screws out.
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Head

Thanks, I`m looking at a Dunlop Brick to power all of them...maybe

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search