The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mic preamp match for Manley Reference Gold Condenser Microphones
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Addict

Mic preamp match for Manley Reference Gold

What is the perfect mic preamp for the manley refernce gold. I heard that Mutt Lang uses a Manley reference gold to record Shania Twain. and Max Martin uses one to record Britney etc. What mic preamp are they using or what is the best match
thanks
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Maratone

Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Addict

looks like he uses a Neve 1073. Anyone else have good mic pres for the mic
Old 4th December 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joji View Post
Actually, up until about 2003 the manley mic (at cheiron/maratone) usually went through a calrec pre. then they changed to using neve's...but also stopped using the manley at the same time

/Johan
Old 4th December 2008

didn't that big mic and mic pre shoot out a few years back choose the manley gold coupled with the buzz 2.2 pre? And if I remember rightly it was for a female vocalist too

narco
Old 4th December 2008
Quote:
NPNG

GML 2032 [not that you're going to need to use the EQ...but]

DW Fearn VT-1

Thermionic Culture Early Bird

Great River

Martech MSS-10
Old 4th December 2008
Gear Nut

Gold's

I have owned a pair of Manley Golds for a few years. They work well with most quality preamps. My Personal Favorite for Vocals is a John Hardy M1.
Old 4th December 2008
Nrt
Lives for gear

Quote:
What is the perfect mic preamp for the manley refernce gold. I heard that Mutt Lang uses a Manley reference gold to record Shania Twain. and Max Martin uses one to record Britney etc.
Really, I didn't know that. I sold my Manley a long time ago but I was using Neve or Avalon with it. Great vocal mic.
Old 5th December 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by narco View Post
didn't that big mic and mic pre shoot out a few years back choose the manley gold coupled with the buzz 2.2 pre? And if I remember rightly it was for a female vocalist too

narco
Yip, here's the text from that...

MA-2.2 Preamp Shootout
Old 5th December 2008
Gear Addict

Depends on the singer!!!!!!!!!

There is no single combo that sounds good on everyone. Besides vintage 87-1073-1176-la2a.

Seriously. That mic can be murder with an untrained singer. The darkness of a vintage pre or even a 1272 clone might take the edge off some voices... compression will help too.

The Manley is one of those pieces that will really show you the weakness of a poor singer. Certainly not my personal go-to- mic for every voice, regardless of pre pairing. With an excellent singer, it will shine with almost any pre. Even an Avalon.heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search