The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Channel Strip Control Surface Control Surfaces
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Maniac

Channel Strip Control Surface

Ok, so now you've got Waves SSL Channel Strip, Waves API Channel Strip, URS Channel Strip, ... .

Most channel strip functions are resembling: Input, EQ, comp, fader, ... .
Now ... where are those Channel Strip Control Surfaces ???

I bet those plugins all sound great, but I don't want to use them without a control surface. I've been looking at Digidesign Command 8 and others, but haven't found something to my liking. Always talking about "it maps out pretty nice ...".

Come on ... doesn't this exist yet, just a control strip, so to speak?
Just select the channel in your DAW, and that's the channel that's on your constrol strip ...

Perhaps they could add some buttons you can customize because not all those plugins are identical, but for the main functions, I don't want my mouse.

Ok, maybe the most difficult part are the buttons itself, they have to be (hope I explain this well) rotary, if possible with leds, like the *ahum* ICON I guess ...

If it's modular, even better, so you can add channels if necessary, but I would be more than happy with 1 or 2 channel strips.

(Perhaps later, a different buss controller would be nice)

Am I missing something ...
Does it exist?
Is it that difficult to create?
Old 23rd August 2007
The former Tascam US2400 was cool in that it had 24 faders... but more importantly

24 rotary encoders. When you threw it in mix, those functioned as pans for each fader. It also did a strip function where each rotary encoder corresponded to a parameter of channel strip... it'd be completely feasable to map the URS, API, or SSL channel strip to that hui
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Maniac

That is indeed a very simple and working interface, I actually considered it for a while.

But what I'm really looking for is a real channel strip.
I don't like reading little screens to see which parameter is where.
(oh wait, the Tascam didn't have screens )

If there are dedicated EQ and comp buttons, there's no guessing.
That button is always on the same place, had it's own text labels, ...
Just like on an analog console ...

Must be possible, no?
I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like such a solution.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

You mean something like the center section of the Sony DMX R100 boards plus one moving fader? Yeah, that'd be great to have.

Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Maniac

Yes, something like that. But of course that price tag isn't what I'm looking for heh

It should be possible to have something like these features for a reasonable price.
Perhaps a little more in a real channel strip form (vertical) but that's a luxury problem

Oh, and forget the leds I previously mentioned, just rotary knobs is ok
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

What if Frontier Designs would make a "channel strip" driver for their AlphaTrack? That could work Someone should make such suggestion as these AlphaTracks are neat little gadgets (I'm fondling mine at the moment )

-Tomi
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Maniac

I've seen several remote thingies like that, but now it's about time they make us a channel strip controller

So next to this alpha track, they could make us a similar sized EQ box, another compressor box

(Although I think that a fader on the left is rather strange. I think it's more practical to handle that with your right hand.)

Anyway, a nice, simple way to combine all these features would be great, so you can buy what you need, and expand if needed ...
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

but what about stuff like Mackie C4? Shouldn't that do the trick?

I guess you want something that has processor/plugin specific looks? You could have, for example, this 16 knob midi controller and plug-in specific exchangeable faceplates. I guess you could configure your DAW in such way that when ever plugin is selected, the incoming midi data goes to the slected plug-in. This would be cheap solution And you could build one by yourself!

I have this project going on where I am building midi controller for Resolume (VJ-software) by using Doepfer control and oem stuff.

-Tomi
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Maniac

If other manufacturers don't come out to play, this would be an option
But I guess you need the Mackie Control for this as well ... and the price tag goes up ...

I'll keep it in mind, but there should be other possibilities ;-)

(Oh, and it should work with Protools LE :p, don't know if this is the case with the Mackie C4)
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by goatie View Post
Ok, so now you've got Waves SSL Channel Strip, Waves API Channel Strip, URS Channel Strip, ... .

Most channel strip functions are resembling: Input, EQ, comp, fader, ... .
Now ... where are those Channel Strip Control Surfaces ???

I bet those plugins all sound great, but I don't want to use them without a control surface. I've been looking at Digidesign Command 8 and others, but haven't found something to my liking. Always talking about "it maps out pretty nice ...".

Come on ... doesn't this exist yet, just a control strip, so to speak?
Just select the channel in your DAW, and that's the channel that's on your constrol strip ...

Perhaps they could add some buttons you can customize because not all those plugins are identical, but for the main functions, I don't want my mouse.

Ok, maybe the most difficult part are the buttons itself, they have to be (hope I explain this well) rotary, if possible with leds, like the *ahum* ICON I guess ...

If it's modular, even better, so you can add channels if necessary, but I would be more than happy with 1 or 2 channel strips.

(Perhaps later, a different buss controller would be nice)

Am I missing something ...
Does it exist?
Is it that difficult to create?
I've been thinking the exact same thing lately. Something along the lines of the liquid mix controller, but with a bigger PC screen so you can see the actual plugin GUI and about 8 encoders for all the parameters. I always thought SSL should have offered a single channel strip controller with the Duende.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

there are a lot of manufactors putting out controlling like stuff for DAWs. But usually it lacks features we really want and find handy and also the price is usually very expensive... Why is no-one listening to customers?
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by el cochino View Post
You mean something like the center section of the Sony DMX R100 boards plus one moving fader? Yeah, that'd be great to have.

Can the Sony DMX R100 be used as just a controller? And does the center section of the ability to control plugin parameters or just the eq/dynamics that come with the R100?
Old 23rd August 2007
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB872 View Post
I always thought SSL should have offered a single channel strip controller with the Duende.
My thoughts exactly. Duende is the perfect candidate for a hardware control...

War
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB872 View Post
Can the Sony DMX R100 be used as just a controller? And does the center section of the ability to control plugin parameters or just the eq/dynamics that come with the R100?
I really don't know, but I thought that this would be a nice layout for a control surface - kinda like a pimped up Alphatrack.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Great idea... I would like to see that as well.
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Addict

what about this: Devil Technologies - Products

I always thought this looked really cool but you never hear anyone on here mention it. It looks like itd be similiar to what you want. I think they are pretty pricey though.
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestarbass View Post
what about this: Devil Technologies - Products

I always thought this looked really cool but you never hear anyone on here mention it. It looks like itd be similiar to what you want. I think they are pretty pricey though.
such things only make sense if you be able to use it with your daw.
...best controller and very pricey:

http://www.euphonix.com/video/mc_sys...epth/index.htm
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

I'm with you guys. I've been saying this for years and that was the reason for keeping my TM-D8000. It has a similar layout to the Sony console.

Make a channel strip (4 channel eq + one knob for changing the characteristic, compressor, pan, one aux with buttons to go through the different sends) and 8 channel extenders with motorfaders.

Yes I know there's the C4, but you still have to find the parameters somehow and this thing does not work with Cubase and Soundscape. So for me it does not work.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSweetener View Post
I'm with you guys. I've been saying this for years and that was the reason for keeping my TM-D8000. It has a similar layout to the Sony console.

Make a channel strip (4 channel eq + one knob for changing the characteristic, compressor, pan, one aux with buttons to go through the different sends) and 8 channel extenders with motorfaders.

Yes I know there's the C4, but you still have to find the parameters somehow and this thing does not work with Cubase and Soundscape. So for me it does not work.
Are you using the TM-D8000 as DAW controller or just the channel strip for controlling plugins?
Old 23rd August 2007
Solid State Logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
My thoughts exactly. Duende is the perfect candidate for a hardware control...

War
We looked very seriously at this. At the time we made the decision that we would not be able to make it the way we wanted for the price you all wanted...

Out of interest, what would you be willing to pay for something like this?
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
We looked very seriously at this. At the time we made the decision that we would not be able to make it the way we wanted for the price you all wanted...

I guess it depends on what's being offered. I would accept the internal workings of a BCR 2000 in a box with a faceplate that resembeled the Duende plugins. Add an LCD to tell me what track I'm on and some meter lights and I'm happy.
Attached Thumbnails
Channel Strip Control Surface-ssl-controller.jpg  
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:

Well, up to at least $1500. If it was well built IMO the price could be pretty high cos this would be something I'd use a lot every day.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

There's still nothing inbetween the Mackie / Tascam stuff and the very expensive controllers from Digidesign or Euphonix. Don't know if SSL is the right company for this.

The idea of a channel strip (compatible with the most important EQ + compressor plugins) is a great innovative idea. The problem with most of the DAW controllers is the EQ and Dynamics section not the faders!

And Jim. Don't forget to release some cool controller for Soundscape soon!
(along with all the other things missing, mixer udates + SSL dynamics....)
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

im dreaming about modular software controller for years..

not only for audio applications... for all software..

keyboard + mouse is just not enough...

Old 24th August 2007
Gear Addict

Been wanting something like this for years.

I'd pay $1000 or more for:

1. a UNIVERSAL controller, not one tied to a particular plug-in

2. all the expected knobs/buttons/metering for a channel strip, similar to the Liquid Mix, plus some extra knobs/buttons for functions unique to specific plug-ins, and for toggling modes or extra features

3. some kind of LCD screen for important information - for example, if using Wavearts Trackplug you'd want to know if you were adjusting Compressor 1 or 2.

4. every plug-in developer can then choose whether or not to support the controller(similar to how the Mackie Control is implemented) and how to use the extra knobs/buttons

5. small physical footprint! maybe half again as big as Liquid Mix, no more?
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Novation Remote SL!!!!!

I bought one a while back. It is AWESOME. Between my CS and this, I never have to touch a mouse.

You can get one with or without a keyboard. Diifferent size keyboards are availabler...I got the 25 key one here:

http://aes.harmony-central.com/119AE...E-SL-25-lg.jpg

It connects via USB and creates (virtual) MIDI ports. You install the drivers and a server program called 'Automap'. Automap actually scans all of your VST and VSTi files and creates 'wrapped' versions which show up in your DAW. If you open an Automapped version of a plugin or instrument, the controller 'automagically' maps every single parameter to a knob, controller or slider (the keyboard models obviously will trigger VST instruments with the keys. It works on EVERY SINGLE plug-in and synth I've tried. There are no support requirements from the plugin/synth vendor. Automap can map it perfectly on its own.

The cool part is, if you don't like how it automatically sets up the controls for any given plug or VSTi, you can create your own templates for any plug or synth you like. It comes with a bunch of templates by default for popular plugs/instruments. I've created very intuitive templates for my Duende plugs (as well as my UAD-1 and others). The granularity with which you can create customized controls and templates is really good.

One group of knobs is click-stop and the other is 'fluid'. You can set step values with the learn mode and even give the parameters custom names, if you like.

The LCD strip at the top shows the name of the parameter being controlled and its current value. I've found it to be extremely precise and accurate.

I LOVE this thing. It is totally universal and very cheap (in price...not quality).
I think I paid ~ US $400. The prices range from US $300 to $600. The $300 one has no keyboard. I had that one at 1st, but I realized that it was silly to have a controller like that, right at my console, without having at least a minimal keyboard to bang out ideas or do quick fixes on MIDI tracks for Ivory or B4, or whatever.

I don't work for Novation, nor am I affiliated. I am just (still) REALLY jazzed about this thing! Oh...and the support is outstanding from Novation, BTW.

This just seems like what everyone is talking about here...unless I've misread it.

Here is the link to the product line and descriptions from Novation:

Novation Music :: ReMOTE SL
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by manthe View Post
Novation Remote SL!!!!!

I bought one a while back. It is AWESOME. Between my CS and this, I never have to touch a mouse.

It connects via USB and creates (virtual) MIDI ports. You install the drivers and a server program called 'Automap'. Automap actually scans all of your VST and VSTi files and creates 'wrapped' versions which show up in your DAW.
VST only? It doesn't support AU plugs?

I'm impressed that it works with your UAD plug-ins. I've always had the most trouble getting control surfaces to talk to UAD plug-ins.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildstar View Post
VST only? It doesn't support AU plugs?

I'm impressed that it works with your UAD plug-ins. I've always had the most trouble getting control surfaces to talk to UAD plug-ins.
Actually, it does indeed support AU plugs!

It works with any plug because it is independent of the plug-in code and/or architecture. The Automap server creates a wrapped version of the plug. Given that VST and AU are 'standards' with reliable specs, the server can always work. I've never seen it fail on any plug or instrument.

Automap is actually very extensive. It does more than just plug-in control...it does mixer and transport, as well as other things. This unit also has HUI support for PT.

Check this link...

Novation Music :: Automap-supporting Applications
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

I think this is a brilliant idea, but if a single manufacturer made this, there would have to be a universal protocol, and Digi would have to get on board. Unfortunately, Digi would never get on board. With any luck, they'd make their own product, and it alone would work reliably with PT.

I went and bought a Tascam fw1082 so that I could grab some actual faders in PT when I have to mix ITB. At a buffer size of 1024, the thing was so damn sluggish through HUI emulation that it was unusable. Sold it.

The upside to this idea is that one man said this would be worth $1500 to him.... and manufacturers love the smell of money. I think that's a little high, but in the ballpark of what folks would be willing to pay. When you think about it, a command 8 is about $1200, and the most expensive parts in there are the motorized faders, and perhaps the chassy. This new product would have a single motorized fader, a bunch of rotary encoders, a much smaller profile and a much higher profit margin. Not to mention the fact that the R&D is mostly done due to digi's development of the Icon.

If they could make this available for $600-$700 and make it compatible with LE, they'd sell a million of them. They could probably ask for more, but I won't encourage them.

Any company willing to do the same for the rest of the DAW world would make a killing as well.

Great idea. Contact your local Pro Audio Dealer, Manufacturer and Software Developer.

I want to buy one today.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Don't know if you read my posts above re: The Novation Remote, but it is PT compatible via HUI. It'll do Transport and VST, VSTi control as well...

Check this:

Novation Music :: Automap-supporting Applications

Also, My Tascam FW1884 works very well with PTLE with HUI em.NO t sluggish at all! From what I hear from others, it is just as good with HD, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FossilTooth View Post
I think this is a brilliant idea, but if a single manufacturer made this, there would have to be a universal protocol, and Digi would have to get on board. Unfortunately, Digi would never get on board. With any luck, they'd make their own product, and it alone would work reliably with PT.

I went and bought a Tascam fw1082 so that I could grab some actual faders in PT when I have to mix ITB. At a buffer size of 1024, the thing was so damn sluggish through HUI emulation that it was unusable. Sold it.

The upside to this idea is that one man said this would be worth $1500 to him.... and manufacturers love the smell of money. I think that's a little high, but in the ballpark of what folks would be willing to pay. When you think about it, a command 8 is about $1200, and the most expensive parts in there are the motorized faders, and perhaps the chassy. This new product would have a single motorized fader, a bunch of rotary encoders, a much smaller profile and a much higher profit margin. Not to mention the fact that the R&D is mostly done due to digi's development of the Icon.

If they could make this available for $600-$700 and make it compatible with LE, they'd sell a million of them. They could probably ask for more, but I won't encourage them.

Any company willing to do the same for the rest of the DAW world would make a killing as well.

Great idea. Contact your local Pro Audio Dealer, Manufacturer and Software Developer.

I want to buy one today.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search