The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
"...Appears courtesy of XXX Records": How does it work? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

"...Appears courtesy of XXX Records": How does it work?

Hi all,

I'm wondering if those in the industry know how to go about getting an artist (a singer) signed to another label to sing on my project.

I am paying the singer artist royalties, but do I have to pay the label on top of that? What are the industry norms, both for US and Europe?

How do I get official permission from the label to "agree" to their artist recording the song for me? Is there some kind of terms I can specify with my "agreement" with the artist that will protect me, something that won't get me sued for some retroactive royalties that the label might be able to demand from me if my record does well?

How do credits work?

Any sample contract with such clauses, or do I have to make some sort of "artist release" forms?

Thanks for any insight
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Maniac

it depends on the situation. sometimes the label will have a standard contact & won't be looking for any royalties, especially if it's not a "name" artist and they're guesting on an indie record. if the label thinks there might be big sales money, like an r&b duet they can push hard as a single then they're gonna want a piece of the action and you'll need managers & laywers to hash it out. either way you should really have the managers & lawyers look it over. you will need some kind of release, but it'll probably be coming from the label.

have you spoken to the guest artist you want already? sometimes they can make it happen, the clearances, with nothing more then a few phone calls to their manager, who'll end up speaking to your manager...followed up by paperwork.

good luck!
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Depends. If they're open to the idea, the label will definitely want a piece of the action. Percentage of earnings based on the song plus half the rights to the masters I've seen a few times. Also, a sizeable advance is usually required (deducted from future income) as well. The bigger the singer, the more you'd be looking at paying.

And if it's a major artist, they might not agree seeing that this will actually be 'endorsing' someone else's artist thus actually helping someone else so usually 'guest appearances' are between 'equally popular' singers or with artists within the same management company or label.

Again, if the artist is signed by someone, that 'someone' must be consulted, a deal made, and a contract signed with that 'someone' or you could get sued.

Do make sure to get this all cleared and settled before you record (or before you let on that you've recorded) since labels are very protective of their investments.. oops, i mean of their artists.

Good luck!
Old 23rd August 2007
Here for the gear

So it's all about ego and money?
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stodge View Post
So it's all about ego and money?
You just described the entertainment industry to a t.
Old 23rd August 2007
Ego and money drive the car, but artistic integrity and creativity get to ride in the back seat, or sometimes hang on the bumper for dear life.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
Ego and money drive the car, but artistic integrity and creativity get to ride in the back seat, or sometimes hang on the bumper for dear life.
Man thats funny - and so true, it would be a good Sig.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
wow. that's so true.

sad but true.

just reading that makes me so angry. it makes me want to burn this muthfukka down.......lets burn this muthafukka down !!!!!

ok sorry
Old 23rd August 2007
One with big hooves

Quote:
Truer words have rarely been said about the entertainment industry...

Really well put!
Old 23rd August 2007
Quote:
i've seen em smacked around & thown in the trunk a few times.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search