The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lexicon MODEL 1200 - Time Comp/Expander Turntables
Old 23rd August 2007
Here for the gear

Lexicon MODEL 1200 - Time Comp/Expander

Does anyone have any knowledge of this device? Specifically, how to test it to see if it's operable...

I don't have the manual and I just picked one up for $100. I can't get anything out of it other than electronic noise while adjusting knobs, faders, buttons, etc.

Thanks in advance for anyone that could shed some light one this rare box.
Old 23rd August 2007
Here for the gear

Lexicon MODEL 1200 - Time Comp/Expander

I believe the 1200 was made to work in conjunction with a tape machine with varispeed. I think you'll see some multipin/data ports on the back, as well as transport functions on the front. The 1200 was only half of the gear required to do the time stretching/expantion while maintaining original pitch.
Not sure if it does much by itself. Maybe pitch shift? Good luck.
Old 23rd August 2007
Here for the gear

Ahhh..interesting. Thanks for your suggestion. There is a multi-pin port on the back, labeled: remote. I wondered what it might be for other than an actual remote controller. However, there's also an xlr input and output - which is what I've been trying to use.

I wonder if you're right about this thing not doing much on its own...although there's certainly enough controls and buttons to make one think it was mighty capable back in the day.

damn, I wish I could find a manual...
Old 28th August 2007
Here for the gear

I used one of these a few times in the mid '80's. Was working in TV post in Montreal for a large media company & inherited it from the radio station side of things. Combination transport speed control and pitch shift, for use back in the day when you wanted to speed up commercials - more spots's per hour - but keep the pitch the same. You have to build a cable harness particular to the transport you want to control. Programming it is something I remember not being comfortable with particulalry & so can't remember the procedure. It was a multi-step process: I think it was original tape speed, length of the spot as normal & length that you wanted it to be. There were also other ways to program it for pitch shift only, speed change only and various other approaches to get to the result you needed. Artifacted badly outside 10% difference as I recall. And it may have been mono but I can't remember. I do recall our techs slaving over the harness for an MCI 2 track though. I think the manual had pinouts for the most popular transports of the day, but I seem to remember the harness being an unelegant, multi-strand affair. I'm sure none of this helps. The company in Montreal is now owned by Technicolor, was called SuperSuite back in the day. They may have the manual kicking around somewhere, but I doubt it.

Reid C
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search