The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How are my drum tones? Condenser Microphones
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

How are my drum tones?

After spending all of yesterday setting up, were starting tracking tonight on our sophomore cd.
Heres a sample of the raw drums tracks.
Click HERE!

I'm digging the kick and overhead. I went with KM84i's on the overhead, their a bit darker, but thats what I'm after.
The snare is ok, any suggestions on that would be great!
The Toms are a big dissapointment.
My drummer went with 2 ply heads and to me they sound dead.
Not sure if its worth the effort to re head the toms, it took several hours.
It is a 6 Piece TRICK kit.
The kick chain is:
AMEK 9098 eq/DBX 160 VU
AKG D112 inside
Sub Kick out

Snare is 57 top and bottom going through a Neve 1272 and DBX 905 eq, DBX 903 compressor.

Toms are Audix F10s via AH Mixwizzard.

OH Nueman KM84i's through 2 Event EMP 1.
Theres also a "Overkillers" pad on them.

Room mics are NT1a's.
Its kind of a small room.
Thanks!
Matt
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

It sounds like you added 8+ db in the 2-5k range. Is that correct?
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrox247 View Post
It sounds like you added 8+ db in the 2-5k range. Is that correct?
On the kick?
+ 3 at 3k and + 3 at 10k
Any recommendations?
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednose View Post
On the kick?
+ 3 at 3k and + 3 at 10k
Any recommendations?
Wow! it sounded really bright. Can you hear how the kick and snare don't belong together (the bright kick and dark snare)?
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Addict

If you are going to tape that snare up like that, loosen it up.

IMHO

The drums sound ok. Needs more life. Would be nice to hear more wood. I mean resonance off the drums is ok as long as its not tom overtones. I don't know what the majority of pres your using but they don't sound like Api's.

He did not hit the toms at all so in relation to the kick, snare, hat and overheads,..Not bad. Its also hard to hear it not in context with the other guys. My first instinct is that its too tight sounding, especially for rock grooves. Try a deeper snare, less deadening on the kick, an it also helps to have the drummer hit the **** out of those drums without rushing.

Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks guys!
I opened up the kick some and brightened up the snare.
Good ears!
I'm using the AMEK 9098 on the Kick
and Neve 1272 on Snare, 905 eq, 903 compressor.
Allen Heath on the toms (SHould have kept those Hardys the renal dude brought over!~)
I am going to trigger the drums in the mix.
I'll post more later tonight.

Appreciate your comments!

Matt
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

IMHO

Would be nice to hear more wood.

Thats gonna be a tough one because were using Trick Drums.
Aircraft aluminum
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
IMHO

Would be nice to hear more wood.

Thats gonna be a tough one because were using Trick Drums.
Aircraft aluminum

This just made me imagine a product called the "Acoustical Log". It would be a big log that you would put in the tracking room near the drums, to get a more "woody" tone.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

1st of all, it is amazing how consistant the D112 is...Unless you're using a Pearl Export kit with a 24" kick (with a 4" hole - top center)...it sounds EXACTLY like my tracks!

Drums are my obsession right now. I'm NOT an expert. I've been experimenting for 2 years now. Buying mics, preamps, compressors...trying different positioning, etc.

The snare sounds a little dead to me. I fought the same issue until I started coupling my dynamic (usually an I5) with an SDC. The SDC gives it brightness and tons of resolution to play with. I tried several and fell in love with the Groove tubes GT44. Not only does it sound great (the tube seems to impart a natural compression that really works well), but the mic also has separate bass roll-off and pad, both of which I engage.

You OHs sound real nice...especially since you're going for dark.

I've been fighting with my toms for a while now. I've gone through several different mic sets. I am going to be picking up a pair of Heil PR30s tomorrow. I'm hoping that these will be my savior for the racks.

As for the floor tom, I didn't hear much of it in your sample, so it is hard to say. To date, I've varied between a Shure Beta52, Audix D6, DRK 218 and the RE20. For the sake of consistency and quality, I'll probably grab either a 3rd PR30 or a Heil PR40.

I have a new band in starting next Monday for 3 months! I want to get this sorted before they get started. From everything I've read and heard, I'm sure I'll be happy with the Heil stuff. I *was* going to go with the standard 421s, but I just can't bring myself to do it!
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by manthe View Post
1st of all, it is amazing how consistant the D112 is...Unless you're using a Pearl Export kit with a 24" kick (with a 4" hole - top center)...it sounds EXACTLY like my tracks!

Drums are my obsession right now. I'm NOT an expert. I've been experimenting for 2 years now. Buying mics, preamps, compressors...trying different positioning, etc.

The snare sounds a little dead to me. I fought the same issue until I started coupling my dynamic (usually an I5) with an SDC. The SDC gives it brightness and tons of resolution to play with. I tried several and fell in love with the Groove tubes GT44. Not only does it sound great (the tube seems to impart a natural compression that really works well), but the mic also has separate bass roll-off and pad, both of which I engage.

You OHs sound real nice...especially since you're going for dark.

I've been fighting with my toms for a while now. I've gone through several different mic sets. I am going to be picking up a pair of Heil PR30s tomorrow. I'm hoping that these will be my savior for the racks.

As for the floor tom, I didn't hear much of it in your sample, so it is hard to say. To date, I've varied between a Shure Beta52, Audix D6, DRK 218 and the RE20. For the sake of consistency and quality, I'll probably grab either a 3rd PR30 or a Heil PR40.

I have a new band in starting next Monday for 3 months! I want to get this sorted before they get started. From everything I've read and heard, I'm sure I'll be happy with the Heil stuff. I *was* going to go with the standard 421s, but I just can't bring myself to do it!
I can try the Rode NT3 on the snare as well.
I think it was the drum head and not so great tuning.
I've struggled with getting a sweet snare drum sound for years now.
Some engineers can get it going on quickly and I'm very envious.
I put some different heads on the snare and we start recording again next monday.
I'll keep you posted thanks for your time!
Matt
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

snare is all about the snare, the strainer, the heads, the tuning, the drummer... Much less than it is about the signal chain...all things else equal of course
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by numrologst View Post
snare is all about the snare, the strainer, the heads, the tuning, the drummer... Much less than it is about the signal chain...all things else equal of course
Totally agree with you on that one!
The snare doesn't sound great in the room.
I'm trying a new head tonight.
I'm the official drum tuner, so I'll have to take the fall on this one.
We still have 6-7 songs to record, so I'm going to try tuning the snare from scratch.
Thanks guys!
Matt
Old 24th August 2007
Quote:
Thanks guys!
I am going to trigger the drums in the mix.
Then why all the work on the tone if you're just going to trigger them later anyways?
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanojohn View Post
Then why all the work on the tone if you're just going to trigger them later anyways?
Because the better the tone of the drums, the less triggering I'll need.
Also, the raw tones are in the overheads and room mics.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search