The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
It's Amazing How Decibels Change Everything Condenser Microphones
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

It's Amazing How Decibels Change Everything

Last week I recorded a 2-track combo of drums and piano on my 1/4" Fostex 8-track.

It was really lush and full just by using an e47c on piano, and an RCA 74 as an overhead. Real old school set-up using quad eight pres and run through a Pultec tube mixer. The sound was a bit raw but really impressive for such a small set-up.

Okay, so now I'm moving into using my 1/2" TASCAM 48 8-track. I record the same thing, and I was like...It sounds good but not tight and as intimate.

I was thinking to myself that it couldn't be the fidelity or size of tape could it?

Then I thought, maybe it was my positioning, hmm I'm going to take photos from here on out of spots that rock.

Then I was was like wait a minute. I went from unbalanced RCA to balanced XLR. I'm having to crank the gain on the overhead. I'm pushing it so hard I'm picking up everything, before I just had to give it a bump. So the relationship of the drums in the room changed based on how much amplification was being placed on receiving the drums, thusly totally redefining my sonic relationship.

So now I'm looking to try different mic combination simply due to the amount of decibels hitting the tape. What I still don't understand is that if my connectors are +4 instead of -10, how come it hits the tape so quiet. I would expect it to be the other way around.

I could be somewhat off on this, but that's my latest hunch.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search