The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
recommendations for motherboard/processor w/ Protools LE
Old 22nd August 2007
Here for the gear

recommendations for motherboard/processor w/ Protools LE

I'm on about a $100-150 budget for a mobo/processor combo, but I figure I can use sites such as tigerdirect.com to grab something cheaper. I've got the rest of the components needed for a fine computer around, I'd just need the process/mobo, and hence the ram to match. if anyone has a suggestion for a relatively affordable processor/mobo combo in that price range (that's excluding ram, so in other words, about $250-300 or so after ram cost) that's suitable for Protools LE? I've heard good things about most of the dual core Pentiums but I figured I'd ask people who know what they're talking about on compatibility and functionality.

also, if anyone has something similar to what I stated previously they'd like to sell used, get at me as well. I'd be willing to pick up used hardware as long as it's in fine working order.
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Nut

1. go look at the various turn-key PC's that are offered, look at what motherboards they use.

2. Check out digidesign's homepage, they have listed some motherboards that are approved and tested to work.

3. If you can not afford any of the digidesign approved motherboards you can go by and just buy a motherboard that has the same chipset, but you need to get AMD as intel cpu and motherboards are more expensive.

so for AMD, you need this chipset. nVidia nForce4.

here is the link for the motherboard:
Newegg.com - ECS NFORCE4M-A (V3.0) Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce4 4X ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
you won't be needing any of the expensive mobos anyways, they just cost more.
if ur not into overclocking, just forget about em.

here are two links for CPU:
Good: Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Brisbane 2.1GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor - Retail
Better: Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Brisbane 2.3GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor - Retail

about a 20 dollar price difference, but it might be worth it.

Not sure if you have a PCI Express video card?
here is something cheap that will get you going,
Newegg.com - MSI RX1550-TD128EH Radeon X1550 Support up to 512MB (128MB onboard) 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

if you need dual DVI then the cards are more.

you do need a firewire card for the motherboard, dunno if you got it.

and here is the ram.

Good: Newegg.com - WINTEC AMPO 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
Better: Newegg.com - mushkin eXtreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

the price difference on each component is about 20 bucks, I would say it is worth it.
Mushkin is great memory. stable and nice.
should put you to about 250 on the better option.
and around 200+ on the good option.

if you need a video card and or firewire card, that is extra.
but you can fit in a video card in ur budget if you get the good alternative.

Cheers

Also note, Lower CAS latency on RAM makes a faster system. But you really don't need to worry about it as much. Just get Value ram. I recommend Mushkin or Kingston.
They are a bit more, but at the end of the day, they are better chips.
2x1gb is a minimum I suppose. Depending on how many plugs you run.

The digidesign homepage has a breakdown of plugs vs. ram.
Old 23rd August 2007
Old 23rd August 2007
Here for the gear

thanks so much for your help. teddy, you've got a pm.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search