The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Condenser Microphones
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga

I just wanna say that this album is fackin beautiful - they did it again! Go and buy it and enjoy pure analog love - drums, everything is like honey.

Spoon: Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga: Pitchfork Record Review
Old 22nd August 2007
Great record. Great sounds. I think they're one of the best bands in the world right now. Precision, minimalist indie-rock. I can't stop listening to this record.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Jim Eno (that's the drummer's name, right?) seems to be a pretty badass engineer. Their records always sound great, even when some of the songs flop now and then it makes it fun to listen to.
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Addict

One of the best sounding albums I've heard in a LONG time!!
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodreb View Post
One of the best sounding albums I've heard in a LONG time!!
Guys we have good taste - cheers!
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Maniac

There was a recent thread about the record. i.e who,what,where.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Gimme Fiction is probably the best new record in, er, ****. A long time, for me. Sounds are freaking incredible. It is absolutely my reference as to how a rhythm section should sound. The new one, I'm a little less thrilled with the songwriting than on each record preceding it, but still sounds stellar.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCains View Post
There was a recent thread about the record. i.e who,what,where.
wow thanks!
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by espen askelad View Post
Gimme Fiction is probably the best new record in, er, ****. A long time, for me. Sounds are freaking incredible. It is absolutely my reference as to how a rhythm section should sound. The new one, I'm a little less thrilled with the songwriting than on each record preceding it, but still has enough unmitigated glorious beauty on it than I can be happy.
I agree it's an amazing record
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Guru

The album sounds TOPS, not one thing i would change, i assume this is labeled Folk Rock ? I sure hope its not country like some other crap ive heard labled country.
Again production is great , the band is great as well, would i buy it ? Most likely not, id rather buy another Billy Bragg CD. Man i just love his fresh music.
btw: when i said would i buy bands music ? well what i meant was i stopped buying anyone music many many years ago. Theres nothing worth buying.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Maybe the range of music Internet provides us with is enough to make a young man turn old (tired).

Billy Bragg is he still "on"? - protest singer from the UK? I have no idea I was born behind a barn with ABBA and cheap stickers.
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgreatriver View Post
Maybe the range of music Internet provides us with is enough to make a young man turn old (tired).

Billy Bragg is he still "on"? - protest singer from the UK? I have no idea I was born behind a barn with ABBA and cheap stickers.

Thats just it, im not worried about who has a record label and who doesn't , that goes for me, done been through those days, I have never heard Bragg on the radio, thats underground music as far as im concern. He is just my fav folk artist old or new. The Feems are very kewl.
ps: i discovered Bragg in the late 80s, and im in my late 40s now.
Old 23rd August 2007
Great record, a little short for my taste, but solid. I still think Series of Sneaks is their best. It's not their best sounding, but has the best songs.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Best $11 I've spent all year.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

The toms... how do they sound so good? Low end, wow. I keep waiting for a massive in-depth article to come out in Tapeop with Jim, Britt, and McCarthy about the process of making these last couple records.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Diggin the new album. Wish I wrote "Black Like Me".
Still feel a little more love for Gimme Fiction. Love the sound and songs on that album.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Mr. McCarthy has a very impressive mic cabinet and from why I understand throws up ridiculous stuff for drums like a C12 on each tom, 4 snare mics (he digs old 421's some older neumanns), 3 bass drum mics and records to a JH16 or JH24 and hits tape hot. He's got a rare calrec console and Jim has a crazy nice neve loaded with 1073's and 1066's. He probably prints only some of the mics or sums a lot of stuff as he tracks.
Old 2nd June 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EleKtriKaz View Post
Great record. Great sounds. I think they're one of the best bands in the world right now. Precision, minimalist indie-rock. I can't stop listening to this record.
never would have guessed you would respond.
Old 2nd June 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelepstein View Post
Anyone know what kits Jim Eno using? I always dug his drum sounds,
I always wondered the actual drum kits he's using on recordings.

GAGAGA - good record, I liked the addition of horn section, nice touch.
Sounds like alot of plate reverb the record which I like; it's almost kinda
'phil-spector-ish." However, their EP 'Series of Snakes' is still my favorite
oddly enough.

i'll ask him...stand by.
Old 3rd June 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebridges View Post
never would have guessed you would respond.
Yeah, I know. I'm an evangelist. When you open the liner notes, inside the front cover it says "This record is a hit!". I mean come on. How cool is that?
Old 3rd June 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by espen askelad View Post
Gimme Fiction is probably the best new record in, er, ****. A long time, for me. Sounds are freaking incredible. It is absolutely my reference as to how a rhythm section should sound. The new one, I'm a little less thrilled with the songwriting than on each record preceding it, but still has enough unmitigated glorious beauty on it than I can be happy.

while i am a huuuuuuge spoon fan, and while ga ga ga ga ga came out on my birthday last year, i still think gimme fiction, on apurely sonic level is their best....girls can tell is also great, as a good friend of mine has said in regards to spoon; "its as if they cannot do anything wrong"...

...indeed.
Old 6th July 2008
Lives for gear

Amazing album.

Very interested in knowing the signal chain for the picked bass. A good example is the sound on 'Rhythm and Soul'. Very cool tone, very compressed yet still very vibrant.

Sounds very 'grabby'...1176-like. But less aggressive, and rounder than you would expect from that comp. Love it whatever it is.

Anyone know what was used ?

Cheers,

Nathan
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search