The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Could I really be this happy with my GSSL clone Comp? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 5th September 2007
Village Idiot

I really dont understand the units with urei/neve/ssl written on them. It could end up really ugly in the used-market in a generation or so....

Gustav
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labs View Post
I really dont understand the units with urei/neve/ssl written on them. It could end up really ugly in the used-market in a generation or so....

Gustav
I can understand where you are coming from but seeing as my unit really isn't something that's a real product i don't think there will be any trouble. Also my unit still is easiliy identifiable as a DIY unit. Also i haven't used any logos.
Lastly those units will always be in my cellar studio so they won't surface anywhere.

Flo
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakerickman View Post
Yep! :-)

I have the boards for a pair of G1176's, a pair of the g-pultec's and four green pre's, so I know what you mean about not being able to stop heh

Hi Wakerickan

Tell me something about the G-Pultecs...
Did you put the neve outputstage in it? How do they behave. Surely lotsa cleaner than the original ones, but other things....

Greets

Christian
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Wow I see all the diy guys are out! Don't buy up all the GSSL parts! I don't have all mine yet!

I have an 1176 rev D class A output diy and 4 Eisens (waiting for last 2 kits) And a diy LA2. Here's my LA2:

Sowter LA2 clone Trannies, Drip Electronics heavy duty circuit board, Original Urie T4b from David Kulka at studio electronics. All NOS tubes from 60's and 70's, metal films and orange drops thru out.
Attached Thumbnails
Could I really be this happy with my GSSL clone Comp?-latop.jpg  
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Nut

I 've never built a piece of equipment. Is it easy?
Where do you buy all the stuff?
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W. View Post
I 've never built a piece of equipment. Is it easy?
Where do you buy all the stuff?
Have you read the thread? Your questions have been answered before.

Cheers,
--
Don
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Nut

I thought we could come here to become better educated on products.
Not be put down for asking questions?
I was looking for links!
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W. View Post
I thought we could come here to become better educated on products.
Not be put down for asking questions?
I was looking for links!
Put down? I asked if you've read the thread, and you OBVIOUSLY haven't because there are links posted throughout it with the info you're requesting, and there are numerous posts talking about the difficulty of the build. If you had read the first page you'd see that I posted the mother link that leads to all links on the DIY forum that deals with the GSSL.

Cheers,
--
Don
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labs View Post

Gustav
i dont think thats really an issue. all it takes is a look at the pcb's inside. usually they have a name of the cloner on them or some sort of name.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

For those of you itching for a cheap SSL clone, you may just want to wait until Chameleon Labs releases theirs. It will be super affordable...and take a lot less time to get up and running than a DIY version. I saw it at TapeOp and it looked like the basic SSL compressor with no sidehain filter.

Brad
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post
For those of you itching for a cheap SSL clone, you may just want to wait until Chameleon Labs releases theirs. It will be super affordable...and take a lot less time to get up and running than a DIY version. I saw it at TapeOp and it looked like the basic SSL compressor with no sidehain filter.

Brad
I actually want to build my own.. Think it would be pretty gratifying to build one from the ground up!
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

You could always take the CL unit apart and put it back together again.

Brad
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

wow

I have the 7602 and love it. This might be very good news for me.
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagefright13 View Post
Sowter LA2 clone Trannies, Drip Electronics heavy duty circuit board, Original Urie T4b from David Kulka at studio electronics. All NOS tubes from 60's and 70's, metal films and orange drops thru out.
nice are they still available?

will have to email him.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

I'm another happy Owner..... It does a great job. Love it.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Can anybody on the Prodigy board email or PM and admin and have them allow us as posters? I registered 2 days ago and still haven't received permissions...
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnypowell View Post
I actually want to build my own.. Think it would be pretty gratifying to build one from the ground up!
Absolutely. But for me, I have 4 thumbs on one hand. I steer clear of things that can burn me. Thank god I found someone to build me one. Very reasonable as well.
Old 7th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
I think a real ssl comp or any stereo comp has 2 boards in it basically (so they could actually do dual mono if you wanted them to a la the Smart stuff), but this design is like a simplified design that kind of sums the 2 channels in a way. So for instance, if the left channel spikes real hard, it will clamp down the right side differently than a true stereo design. At least this is the way I understand it, I could be phrasing it wrong.

So I usually keep it off the 2 bus, (I really prefer dual mono for the width factor), but for drum bus its totally insane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
Huh, maybe I misunderstood it. I know that the "oxford" variation that people talk about has 2 boards in it, and I heard/thought it was mainly for the stereo image. For me a dual mono situation still wins for the width factor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Ruston View Post
I think what is being refered to is that using dual mono compressors on the mix bus tends to sound 'wider' than using true stereo where the dynamic differences L to R are 'managed' by the compressor. A lot of people who own compressors that allow some stereo linking choose to leave them unlinked or 'partially' linked when available eg API 2500.

J
So anybody have a link with the parts info and schematics for a dual mono GSSL compressor?

I would prefer that each side could compress independently ...

Anybody knows if are schematics for that plus the sidechain option?
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

So a question about the projects like the 1176 and LA2A. Are these actually exact copies of the UA stuff? I mean, if I'm building an 1176 is there really not a difference between mine and their's (other than the fact that I'm building mine)?
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

It won't sound exactly the same because the circuit is not 100% identical to what UA is doing and you won't be using all the exact same components. Yours could sound better, or it could sound worse. It all depends on how you build it and what components you choose.

Brad
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
So a question about the projects like the 1176 and LA2A. Are these actually exact copies of the UA stuff? I mean, if I'm building an 1176 is there really not a difference between mine and their's (other than the fact that I'm building mine)?
there are so many factors determining the outcomes.
some of these units were Point to point which now have been redone on pcb. many parts in vintage units are no longer available like transformers and other components. so modern versions are used. (unless you hunt down some of the original parts off ebay or other places.)
there will be difference between 2 units built on the same pcb by different people as the components are not the same.
i do not know about the UA specifically. but they will be in the same ballpark as it is the same building blocks.

check out this guys LA2A :
Prodigy Professional :: View topic - LA2A PCB ver 2.0 build thread

a very easy to build version of the LA2A
Old 8th September 2007
Village Idiot

I want to make a reply here that covers emails/pms Ive recieved regarding this stuff, and before even writing it, I think it might come across as if Im somewhat disgruntled - I assure you I am not, and I mean this in the nicest way.

If there is no instrinsic value in building something to you, other than getting a cheaper piece of gear. Dont bother. I bet most people can succesfully do a GssL, but this stuff takes some time and effort, especially if youre starting from scratch. - Time you could be spending working on sessions that bring in money to buy a real ssl/1176 or whatever.

If building the unit is instrumental to learning something about electronics, and demystify the boxes you surround yourself with. You should remember, that all kinds of learning takes a certain amount of effort from he who wishes to learn. Prodigy Professional :: Index is a good place to start. If you look at the top of the forum, theres a ".:Meta-Meta:.
(Look here for an overview.)
" link you can click, and find the specific project youre interested in.

No - I dont sell completed units, but there are plenty of people who do. It wont take much effort to find someone on your own.

No - I dont sell partskits, but there are plenty of full shopping lists if you take the effort to look at the forementioned location.

No - I cant help you with XYZABC. If you really have a question worth answering, the best thing to do is ask it in public. That way more people benefit from teh information, and I dont have to type out the info 800 times.

No - I am not Gyraf. I know Jakob (Who owns Gyraf audio), and I sell the boards for the projects avaliable at the DIY section of gyraf.dk. I am not affiliated witht he company though.

Yes - I do sell boards for the projects. If you look in the black market on groupdiy.com, you will see a sticky post. You will also see cases and PCBs for other projects and a whole lot of bits n bobs for sale by other people

And before you jump onto the gyraf.dk site and start looking for a place to mail your questions, remember that Jakob actually runs a business making his own Gyraf brand of products, and that the clones are absolutely non-profit free-of-use/fair use DIY projects he happend to be kind enough to share on his site. He does answer questions on groupdiy.com, so please dont bother him by mail with every question that comes to mind.

If you do wanna put in some effort, DIY is incredibly rewarding, and you can get to a point where simple fixes of your gear is within your grasp pretty quickly. You will also start figuring out how to change things to your specific needs, and tweak your own units to your liking pretty fast.

Gustav
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Labs is 100% correct! It is fun to build stuff! But is not a cheap way to make something. It is to learn. And I have done alot of that this year. I learned alot and the DIY at Prodigy guys Really helped...
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post

Brad
Wow thanks for the heads up!
Chameleon Labs 7720
$599 projected MSRP!
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Damn, they even put a sidechain filter in there! I would highly recommend just picking this up for $500 if you want an SSL style comp. You're getting up to the price range even if you build your own! Wow--if I ever need another one, I'm just going to pick this up.

Brad
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Wow any clue when the chameleon compressor is coming out?
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Yup!!

I found my answer. I love my 2 CLabs 7602's. Chameleon will have my faith and my money when this comes out. I talked to them on the phone. They are trying to have this out before Christmas.
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Addict

I alway's wonder how companies get away with selling clones like this, are'nt these things protected in some way ?
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seb37000 View Post
I alway's wonder how companies get away with selling clones like this, are'nt these things protected in some way ?
Yes/no.
There are often patents initially on things like this, however patents don't last forever and expire. Design patents are for 14 years. Some patents are 20 years if proper paperwork is filed. Any patents that SSL filed on the 4000 series consoles have expired. For the same reason you can clone the hell out of a JTM45 or a Vox AC30. Any patents on them are expired

Also suit has to be brought against each party to defend it. Since this is literally just individuals making it for their own use, even the filing of a single thing just isn't worth it. It's maybe a "damage" of $2000, but the legal fees would eat that up in a few hours. Not worth it. Plus, poor PR. All EE designers have based things off prior designs. That's the way you learn.

Also the people building these generally don't want an SSL. This is not the cheaper way to go always. They do this because they want to build something. Unless you are 14 and your time is absolutely worthless, then the 30-some hours that you might put into making one of these will invalidate any 'savings' that you had in putting this together. Unless you have a huge supply of parts ready to go, and can bash this thing out in a few hours... it's not cheaper, just a different expense. The expense is your time.

I built a x0xb0x recently as a learning experience. I loved doing it. It really gave me confidence to make pretty much anything. Nothing seems too daunting now. The GSSL seems simple in comparison in some ways. No digital ICs, no USB SMD parts, etc... I spent 30 or so very very hot hours (no AC in Boston summer) building this. I could have bought a 303 from eBay for $1800 or less. I paid nearly $400 for my x0xb0x kit. The $1400 'saved' wasn't really saved. It was a time investment. I could have been making money otherwise.

But overall, there's not often a legal problem in building clones. Either stuff isn't patented, or the patents have expired.
Also, a patent describes how to do something, if you figure a different way of doing it (say a different sidechain method) then it's not the same thing at all'

I really need to kick my ass into gear and build one of these and a few preamps. The SCA kits still seem to be the easiest way to build good sounding preamps.
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Addict

Oh, ok, thanks for clearing that up.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search