The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Could I really be this happy with my GSSL clone Comp? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Head

that's some great information there ipagel. Extremely informative. I've been playing around in illustrator and was a little worried about how to do the scaling. Scale-o-matic looks like it'll make it a whole lot easier

Stuffed my boards. Checked and checked aand checked my components and it all looks right. Just waiting for the 6.8 tantalum for the control board so I won't be able to check the voltages until I have them. RS have them on back order so I guess that I'll just have to wait.

Anyway thanks again for sharing all this information.
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Nut

i only had one problem and that was that i had wired the bypass up wrong.
this meant the the makeup gain worked but there was no compression.
oh and i forgot the little link wire on the control board which made lots of distortion when the threshold was turned.
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Addict

Man,

I would totally build one of these, but being in school, having a regular day job, and then having the studio makes it hard to find the time to put in for an extra project!!

I guess I'll have to just find one to buy if possible.
Old 2nd September 2007
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewrevolution View Post
Man,

I would totally build one of these, but being in school, having a regular day job, and then having the studio makes it hard to find the time to put in for an extra project!!

I guess I'll have to just find one to buy if possible.
You should just pick one up from Mercenary...

Mercenary Audio - Dramastic Audio® Obsidian Compressor

Gustav
Old 2nd September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labs View Post
You should just pick one up from Mercenary...

Mercenary Audio - Dramastic Audio® Obsidian Compressor

Gustav
Thanks.... but no thanks.

Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new View Post
Thanks.... but no thanks.

I agree with Not_so_new. I love Mercenary but why pay that price for a build that's going to cost you $3-$400 in parts to do yourself or pay someone $800- $1000 to build it for you. It's a no brainer no matter how you feel about employing someone to build it for you.

Chris
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Could I actually build one of these with no previous history in electronics?
I'm prepared to read up first.. Idiots guide to pcb's & components or something!
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

I would think you would want to start with something a bit less expensive in case you flubb it up (not that you would). And see how your skills progress. I have 10 left thumbs when it comes to this stuff but this winter I'm going to take the plunge and try to build a tube preamp.

Chris
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnypowell View Post
I'm prepared to read up first.. Idiots guide to pcb's & components or something!
Does anybody have any good website for starting out reading schematics and stuff? Maybe a good book that is available somewhere? I don't even know how to solder this stuff onto the board, much less know where to put the different components...

But I'd really love to read up and find out and then built two or three of these.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Does anybody have any good website for starting out reading schematics and stuff? Maybe a good book that is available somewhere? I don't even know how to solder this stuff onto the board, much less know where to put the different components...

But I'd really love to read up and find out and then built two or three of these.
I just bought this one..

Booktopia - Starting Electronics, Keith Brindley, 9780750663861
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

And this is a good video I found on soldering components to a pcb. By far the best on youtube..

YouTube - Soldering 3: Electronics (Desynced)
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

OK I've got a few questions for all you slutz that have built your own DIY GSSL comp. Bare with me..

1. How hard is it to get the components? Can you recommend me the best places..

2. Are there better alternative components out there I should track down?
I saw a guy recently who had DBX VCA's.. Am I better off tracking down parts like that?

3. Where do you get the chasis from? Should I custom make mine?

4. How many hours does a project like this take? Time is not a problem for me, but just want to know out of curiosity..

5. Lastly, do I need to purchase testing equipment like oscilloscopes or anything?

Cheers,
Jonny
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

I wonder how long it is til someone like DBX starts making something similar in huge quantities and sells it for less then $1,000..

Seems like they would do really well.
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Head

I don't have any pics of my GSSL right now but since there are also pics of 1176 clones i thought i add one of mine:

It's a dual 1176 (gyraf boards) with a neve output stage. Haven't had the time to use it on a mix but right now i am recording 4 songs with my band so i will definitely use it when it's mixing time.

Oh of course on the pic the unit isn't completely ready. Output pots were missing, the unit wasn't calibrated, leds to light the meter were missing and the inside was a bit messy. Looks much better now.

Flo
Old 5th September 2007
Great job Flo!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakerickman View Post
..... As far as I'm aware, you can't print white with Lazertran. Anyone confirm that?

No white with Lazertran. That's right. Unless you're able to find a lazer printer with white toner in it (I 've never seen white toner...)
Also, don't use Lazertran on painted panels ..........
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Head

Radiance wrote: Also, don't use Lazertran on painted panels ..........

Hi Radiance. Phew! I have Lazertran and a painted front panel. Was planning to put the Lazertran on there in the next couple of days. I'll be looking for alternatives now. I have some friends at the art school here in Glasgow so screen printing may be an option.

Can I just say also that I found your site detailing the build of your gssl's inspirational. I have now built two of my own and am in the process of putting them in their cases. Thanks.

For anyone who hasn't seen Roland's site. It's very cool.

GSSL clone

One last thing. I have been trying to join the prodigy pro forum unsuccesfully. Would you be good enough to pm one of the admin's to see if there's a problem with registering new users?

Last edited by wakerickman; 5th September 2007 at 01:14 PM.. Reason: changed url
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
OK I've got a few questions for all you slutz that have built your own DIY GSSL comp. Bare with me..

I saw a guy recently who had DBX VCA's.. Am I better off tracking down parts like that?

4. How many hours does a project like this take? Time is not a problem for me, but just want to know out of curiosity..

5. Lastly, do I need to purchase testing equipment like oscilloscopes or anything?

Cheers,
Jonny
I REALLY liked the look of your clone Radiance.. Saw it the other day.
I like the idea of my first one being similar looking to the real-deal..

Can you do me a big favor and answer some of my questions for me? Want to get started on first DIY.
Cheers in advance,
Jonny
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Head

Hi Jonny

I can answer some of your questions.

You can get a BOM from the prodigy pro site. There are several. I used Greg's (one of the forum members) BOM as my starting point. He's gone to the trouble of putting manufacturers part numbers on there so it makes it a lot easier to find individual parts. Most of his parts come from Digikey and Mouser in the US but you can use RS or Farnell if your in Europe. Thanks to Greg for his time and effort.

The DBX VCA's are not in production any more. Most people now use THAT's 2180's which are pretrimmed which means that you can leave out a few components. I went with the THAT's. Sonically you'll be in the ballpark with them.

In the US people use PAR METAL for their cases. I'm in the UK and picked my cases up from HOLT Broadcast. RS, Maplin's and Farnell all carry cases. Expect to pay between £30-£70 quid.

If you are a competent solderer you shouldn't have too many problems putting this together. I stuffed my boards in a few hours. Some people will be faster and others slower. Bear in mind that there are about 170 components on the board and control panel. The metal work will be a bit trickier. Your liufe will be so much easier if you get hold of a bench drill (£40 at B&Q) and a few hole punches (about a fiver each).

I don't have an o-scope, but I do have a good meter (Fluke) and a variable temp solder station (weller WHS 40).

All the info is available at the prdoigy pro site.

Have fun with your build :-)
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
this was the first thing i have ever built and the only soldering i have done is of an xlr.

go for it there is so much help out there. and only cost me around £200
Old 5th September 2007
@wakerickman : can you change the link into

GSSL clone

That other site will be offline soon...

Thanks!
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Head

changed
Old 5th September 2007
Thanks! Had some problems with the URL. For some reason it kept saying "GSSL Clone" instead of the full link which is GSSL clone

EDIT: Aaahhh bugger, I can't get rid of this :-)
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiance View Post
@wakerickman : can you change the link into

GSSL clone

That other site will be offline soon...

Thanks!
hi Radiance your site helped a lot when i built mine thumbsup
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiance View Post
Thanks! Had some problems with the URL. For some reason it kept saying "GSSL Clone" instead of the full link which is GSSL clone

EDIT: Aaahhh bugger, I can't get rid of this :-)

So that's the url fixed now right? :-)
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
I've been playing around in illustrator and was a little worried about how to do the scaling. .
i can send you my illustrator file to you is you like all the dials done but you could rotate and change text save you some time.

tell me if you would like them Pm your email
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Head

Hi Ipagel

That's most kind of you thanks. My 6.8uF caps arrived this morning so I can finish my build now. I managed to pick up a sifam director 14 meter on ebay which hepled in terms of my costs. It's going to cost me about £400 ($700) to build these units (yes I'm making two of them). That price is for both. Not too shabby eh? I'll post pic's on this thread when they're done.
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Hi Ipagel

That's most kind of you thanks. My 6.8uF caps arrived this morning so I can finish my build now. I managed to pick up a sifam director 14 meter on ebay which hepled in terms of my costs. It's going to cost me about £400 ($700) to build these units (yes I'm making two of them). That price is for both. Not too shabby eh? I'll post pic's on this thread when they're done.
nice price.
a little time and you get knowledge and quality! heh
whats your next project?
because i know when you start you cannot stop
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernal_Death View Post
I don't have any pics of my GSSL right now but since there are also pics of 1176 clones i thought i add one of mine:

It's a dual 1176 (gyraf boards) with a neve output stage. Haven't had the time to use it on a mix but right now i am recording 4 songs with my band so i will definitely use it when it's mixing time.

Oh of course on the pic the unit isn't completely ready. Output pots were missing, the unit wasn't calibrated, leds to light the meter were missing and the inside was a bit messy. Looks much better now.

Flo

very nice
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipagel View Post
nice price.
a little time and you get knowledge and quality! heh
whats your next project?
because i know when you start you cannot stop
Yep! :-)

I have the boards for a pair of G1176's, a pair of the g-pultec's and four green pre's, so I know what you mean about not being able to stop heh
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Yep! :-)

I have the boards for a pair of G1176's, a pair of the g-pultec's and four green pre's, so I know what you mean about not being able to stop heh
LOL
i am doing the green pres at the moment.
and some Neve pres.
then onto the night eq and 525. heh

gonna do the pultecs and g9 soon! tell me how you get on.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search