The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I want to be a highend gear dealer Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

I want to be a highend gear dealer

About how much $$$ does it take to start a highend gear selling business??
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear
$0

Just connections and knowhow and the abity to sell, no matter what.
Old 22nd August 2007
Dan
Lives for gear

The same amount everything costs. 1 million dollars.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre View Post
$0

Just connections and knowhow and the ability to sell, no matter what.
Hi

....with special emphasis on the know-how so that you are able to give very knowledgeable and "unflowered" advise to anyone asking about a product.

There's no substitute for experience...

Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHENDONLY View Post
About how much $$$ does it take to start a highend gear selling business??
As much as you are ready to discount prices to customers.

I think that people who spend on gears 20-50k anually (read=gearslutzs) expect best imaginable price with best imaginable service, not compromise of any kind. My dealer knows this, he does so, all my money goes to his company.
Stories about services are often stories and real service is what customer is satisfied with.
I believe it is already highly competetive nowdays.

Are you ready?
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah... I have toyed with it myself. I have several lines that I am a dealer for, and I can get just about anything at dealer cost sidewise though other dealers (shhhh). lol.

But honestly... it's a hard business. There is not a lot of profit in most of this stuff. And the relationships are HUGE. Because I really enjoy producing and engineering much more, I have kept this is a "side thing" that I do for friends, and by word of mouth, and I plan to keep it that way.

I don't ever want to get into the situation where I can't get to my customers right away when they need stuff (before or after the sale), and that means keeping life simple.

If you are ready to go full time...and spend MUCH more time selling, supporting and educating than you do making music.... go for it.

Rock on!
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

I have a good type of setup to get into it. Right now i own my own computer business that is doing very well. I know that i'm not quite ready right now because i still have a little more experience i need in the audio field. Down the road i would love to have a small little business in selling gear. Before i get into this business or any other business for that matter, i want to make sure that it's totally for me and do all research involved. I want to make sure i educate myself with all aspects of how this business works. I know their is alot of time involved with starting a business. So right now i'm just putting different ideas out there, really feeling out this field a little more before i put down an anchor on it.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Good luck

Tough, tough business. The margins are razor thin. Vendors want you to carry the entire line, you likely only want the "sales" which have a decent margin. Microphones carry a decent margin, rack gear... close to nothing.

I think the market is saturated. If you have loads of connections and charm, go for it. I'd pass if I were you.

Quote:
I have a good type of setup to get into it. Right now i own my own computer business that is doing very well. I know that i'm not quite ready right now because i still have a little more experience i need in the audio field. Down the road i would love to have a small little business in selling gear. Before i get into this business or any other business for that matter, i want to make sure that it's totally for me and do all research involved. I want to make sure i educate myself with all aspects of how this business works. I know their is alot of time involved with starting a business. So right now i'm just putting different ideas out there, really feeling out this field a little more before i put down an anchor on it.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

And you have to have lived in Boston at some point.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrox247 View Post
And you have to have lived in Boston at some point.
Why Boston?
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

90% of all gear dealers on this forum have lived there at some point. It's spooky
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre View Post
$0

Just connections and knowhow and the abity to sell, no matter what.
some lines require you to have inventory to show and to sell, so there is some investment involved.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

It's really competitive and the big chains seem like they are the only ones who can really buy in enough bulk/have connections to get any 'decent' margins. When i use the word decent, it actually means 'indecent'!

As of the field, people buy, spend loads and don't come back as quick as they would do buying cheap audiophile cards and copies of reason, upgrading, etc. You re-mortgage the house, buy one big desk, get the kids of the block to help carry it in, sleep on the sofa after explaining where the college money went tot he wife and that's it! You wont want to spend more cash anytime soon. What i'm trying to say is it's not as fast paced because (and we hope) gear is built and made to last.

Therefore a lot of it is to do with building relationships and connections so people come back to buy. The place where i buy my high end gear is not a chain but a company in the uk that only deals with high end stuff. Keyspoints why they survive is they've been doing it for donkeys years and are well connected chaps.

Bottom line; It's not a fast turnover for money.
Old 22nd August 2007
I want to buy high end in the UK too

whos your man? give me their nmber please
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Guru

Hell i think i should be, as much High End gear i have sold on ebay i sould have a award besides being a power seller. I told ebay to take the power seller logo and stick it up there asssss.
Old 22nd August 2007
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrox247 View Post
90% of all gear dealers on this forum have lived there at some point. It's spooky
Not me, I lived on Cape Cod!!!

War
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by salisiva View Post
I want to buy high end in the UK too

whos your man? give me their nmber please
KMR Audio Product Catalogue the two main guys own the place and know their stuff. Nikki is away on holiday at the moment. They offered to loan me an API a2d and a Neve DPD to test out to see if i like it! What a company.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Be prepared for some hard knocks. For example suppliers will want you to have a certain level on inventory. They may also expect quotas.
Also some companied like Neve will sell less to some dealers like Vintage King for a lot less than they will sell to you (even if your doing good numbers for your area)
Other companies like Apogee will forbid you from selling online.
Good Luck!
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Ok now who wants to work for me???Great 401k, great medical benefits, big bonus...... j/k. Thanks for the support and advice. When the time is right, you guys will be the first to know.. haha Should i call my company "HIGHEND ONLY" thanks guys
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok now who wants to work for me???Great 401k, great medical benefits, big bonus...... j/k. Thanks for the support and advice. When the time is right, you guys will be the first to know.. haha Should i call my company "HIGHEND ONLY" thanks guys

you should call it Gear Slutz Only!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search