The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Vocal Booth and/ or Sound Isolation
Old 22nd August 2007
Here for the gear

Vocal Booth and/ or Sound Isolation

I am interested to know your opinions on pre manufactured vocal booths. I am an employee of VocalBooth.com and we would like to know your experiences with ours or similar booths. In addition how can we better these booths to fulfill your needs? Are there any accessories we should add to our booths? What is a deciding factor in purchasing one of our booths? Any input would be great.

<center>
</center>
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

well, for 1, you could put the prices on the site!
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

your booths look nice. Don't have any personal experience with modular booths except recording voice talent from remote VIA ISDN, the only real complaint with Vocal booths was the heat.

Miger, Actually you can see the prices on the site if you click around a bit.
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Maniac

I use a whisper room, which is similar in concept. My two biggest complaints are heat (lack of adequate ventilation, or A/C) and that the sound became too anachoic (sucked the life right out of the vocalist). I haven't found a solution to the first problem (just have to open the door between takes); but in regards to the second issue - I put in a wood floor and used my own treatments inside the booth (combination of auralex absorption and diffusion panels). Been working with that for the past five years. The weight of my unit is really heavy as well, so it really isn't the most "mobile" or "temporary" solution. Might be something to consider as well to attract more buyers. Other options that could be useful: keyboard tray/lcd arm for one man show operation from the booth, clips to hold lyrics, better lighting option (led mood lighting), better color options for interior treatment.

Hope that helps,
Lohit
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Addict

Whether it be Whisper Rooms or VocalBooth.com, I've wanted one of these things for years but never understood why they were priced so high.... I tend to move every 2 to 3 years so naturally these booths interest me alot...but I've always just got a local carpenter to come in and build me something that works with the existing structure for about $700.... Are these booths REALLY worth the money????
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Well for one thing i think it's good on you for coming here and asking the people who use your stuff directly! Respect to you Mr Vocalbooth

Secondly, manufactured booths are good solutions but are often expensive. If your prices are good enough to tempt people away from making their own then you have a winner.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

The Prices didn't look too bad on their site. Still chealper to do it yourslef, but having something non permanent is kinda cool. But yeah , I agree, usually expensive for this kidna stuff.
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Maniac

I'm a voice over guy and I've been using my vocalbooth.com 4x6 booth for three years now and only have one real complaint: quiet ventilation. The booth, in the summer, even with the A/C cranked in the room, just gets too dang hot. And the ventilation system is just too loud to do a session...especially a national account when engineers on the other end are expecting quality.

So, I leave the ventilation off when I'm in there and turn it on again in between sessions. I know you guys have an upgrade vent system, but from what I read in the specs it doesn't really improve on the noise level.

As far as music is concerned I'll occasionally get some good electric guitar sounds but I have to work a bit harder than I would if it was in a larger, livelier room.

Your prices are much better than Whisper Room for what is essentially a similar product. So, KUDOS for making them slightly more affordable.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Do you actually care or is this just advertising?

The prices of all of these products are unjustifiable to me- the ones I have used have had poor sound containing properties and sounded nasty... I dont mind so much about the sound as any room needs treating but the only really acceptable peformance I have come across was from a 2 booth system where the control room was in a seperate booth with a large space between the two.
Maybe we get screwed in the UK on these things but the pricing is the big issue for me.
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudnoc View Post
Are these booths REALLY worth the money????
In a word - No. Considering the price of either the high end level vocalbooth or whisper room, one would expect a pretty perfect solution - and it's far from that. I did, however, get an acoustician to quote me on building out a custom space for tracking vocals (a little bigger than my 4x4 booth) - and it was around $10K! So, in the end, I stuck w/ the whisper room (bought it used) because I didn't want to spend that type of $$ if I could potentially move in a few years and eat the investment. Now if a company came up with a solution that provided quiet, and REAL ventilation, and most importantly terrific acoustics - I would be all over it. Until then, whether you spend $700 for a contractor to build you something or a couple grand on a vocal booth / whisper room - neither solution will be able to compete with a well treated ISO ROOM like the big studios have. I imagine that with a little R&D and the right materials a company could develop a much better solution than what exists - and make a killing. With more and more commercial facilities closing shop, the demand for such a product is only increasing IMO.

-Lohit
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

I have a Wenger modular that I use for just about everything from vocals to drums. I have had some very good results and am happy with the sound, and lack of sound externally.

My only complaint is ventilation (as stated earlier). The so-called silent internal fan system is not very silent. Fine for practice but definitely not recording.

I was having the artists turn it off and on in between takes, but a few times of them forgetting and me forgetting to remind them ruined one too many takes.

Now I won't use it all all, but just have them open the door in between instead.
I am in a townhome and my booths are lifesavers.

Hope this helps. -Dave
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

I can't justify spending that much. Maybe half that. I will find other creative ways that cost less.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah, I think these things prices themselves well out of reach of the target demo that might actually want/use them (e.g., weekend warrior M.E.s, bands looking improve their home recording, etc.). Anyone with the cash flow to afford them would be better served custom-building one themselves.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispick View Post
Yeah, I think these things prices themselves well out of reach of the target demo that might actually want/use them (e.g., weekend warrior M.E.s, bands looking improve their home recording, etc.). Anyone with the cash flow to afford them would be better served custom-building one themselves.
True, that's why I bought mine used locally off CL. New....forget about it, too rich for my blood.
Old 10th February 2015
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by VocalBooth.com View Post
I am interested to know your opinions on pre manufactured vocal booths. I am an employee of VocalBooth.com and we would like to know your experiences with ours or similar booths. In addition how can we better these booths to fulfill your needs? Are there any accessories we should add to our booths? What is a deciding factor in purchasing one of our booths? Any input would be great.

<center>
</center>
My opinion: You guys are overpriced and I think I can make a better sound booth for half the price. I can't believe somebody else hasn't come in and given you some competition. I'm going to make a $999 model that will SHUT YOU DOWN.
Old 10th February 2015
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by miqer View Post
well, for 1, you could put the prices on the site!
They don't list prices because they make it up as they go along.
First a salesman will ask you a series of questions to gauge how are rich you are and then inflate the price accordingly.
To sell $300 dollars in materials at $4500 is a 1500% markup.
I know the mentality of people like this. They'd rather sell one unit at $5,000 rather than 20 at $1,000 because they're lazy and don't want to work.
What they consider "work" is spamming on social media sites and hanging out at music trade shows.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search