The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Your favourite Violet Design Microphone for vocals? Condenser Microphones
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Your favourite Violet Design Microphone for vocals?

I was recommended to check out The Globe for vocals.. And it sure looks mighty fine. It is also ranked as number one on Future Music and some other review sites.

What is your favourite Violet Design Mic from vocals?

Also, on a side note - does anyone own a JZ4?
I was offered one for a decent price and its supposed to be 100% as the Blue Dragonfly.. Thinking of getting that one aswell..

As always, thanks in advance.. ;-)
Old 22nd August 2007
Here for the gear

Favorite Violet Design microphone

The Globe Standard is getting good reviews as well as the Amethyst Vintage. Both use Violets U67 capsule

I believe the JZ4 is indeed the same as the DragonFly. I uses the U26 capsule so it will sound a little brighter the the Globe or Amethyst.
Ocie
Old 4th June 2013
Gear Head

yeah way old post but what the heck, someone may care about my 2 cents on this, as I've had many Violets...very under rated mics, but you need to find the right one for the right source, as their mics are pretty unique, but when you do find the right Violet model, it many times beats much higher priced big name mics. So...my choice for vocals:

The Violet Flamingo Junior Vintage. Nice air, good prox effect, practically perfect without eq. Not muddy at all, being perhaps a bit lowmids scooped (perhaps the bright top and big low end creates the illusion of that). It also uses a big output transformer inside that rounds things out a bit smoother than mics with no output transformer (a bit more beef and punch as well on instruments). Again its bright but not harsh the way chinese mics are. More detailed than TLM102+TLM103, AT4050, 4047. Not as hard and flat as new c414 which left me feeling...flat. Almost sounds like a smooth small diaphragm its so detailed, but it's a 1 inch large dia.
Old 4th June 2013
Lives for gear

The Amethyst Vintage is my most used vocal mic, especially for VO, since it is so flexible with many voices. It is great on all kinds of strings too. Natural with warmth, would be my description. For vocals I like The Emerald a lot too, when beefier lows are needed and some more sparkling high (not harsh, just sparkling). The Emerald is rather similar to Flamingo Junior Vintage, but smoother. I use The Globe Vintage for backing vocals and everything that does not need to jump to the front of the mix. Beautiful restrained tone, with great mid frequency detail.

All these mics have very low noise and they have a worthy place next to my Brauners, Sennheisers, Schoeps and Neumann mics. Do not underestimate them.
Old 4th June 2013
Lives for gear

Amethyst Vintage is fantastic on vocals. Or the Global Pre w the VIN67 capsule. I've used the Global Pre with the VIN 12 on BGvs with great results too.
Old 4th June 2013
Lives for gear

I agree with the Amethyst Vintage and both Globe Vintage and Standard..
I didn't like at all the Flamingo Jr...too brittle for my taste..
on the other side the Flamingo (standard or vintage), which is a big tube mic, is a fantastic mic!! they're on sale on amazon right now.. heh

<<<< FWIW I wrote some reviews about Violet mics, below my avatar there's the link..

Violet Design.. great underrated mics!

Cheu
Old 4th June 2013
Here for the gear

I have a pair of Amethyst Vintage, and they sound lovely. However, I got a chance to use the Flamingo Standard awhile back and was impressed... I'm curious to see how the Flamingo ME compares side by side, but don't know anyone with one.
Old 5th June 2013
Gear Head

Flamingo jr also great on drum overheads, just perfect. Super cymbal details on hh and ride, and awesome crashes. The transformer adds punch to the toms, kick & snare as if you are going thru a trans based mic pre, even when you are not.
Old 13th August 2013
Gear Head

Violet Amethyst Vintage

i own the garnet for a while and i will never give it away. but i was looking for another sound and after many tests and lots of time spending with recordings i finally bought the amethyst vintage for all my male and female vocal recordings going to Vintech Audio X73-Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor-Retro176 into apogee symphony. Just the best for my productions. The Amethyst vintage sounds very smoth and modern. It doesn`t have anything to do with vintage in my opinion. it`s the wrong name somehow. it has the 67 capsule mounted... this mic is now my go to!
Attached Thumbnails
Your favourite Violet Design Microphone for vocals?-amethyst-vintage.png  
Old 13th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by paterno View Post
Amethyst Vintage is fantastic on vocals. Or the Global Pre w the VIN67 capsule. I've used the Global Pre with the VIN 12 on BGvs with great results too.
+1 Amethyst Vintage is fantastic on vocals
Old 16th October 2013
I purchased the Flamingo Standard and have been putting it to the test all week. One of the most versatile vocal microphones I've ever heard. I tried it on male and female voice and it sounded fantastic!
Old 12th February 2014
Here for the gear

Yes another thumbs up on the Violet Design Amethyst Vintage on vocals - I always resort to the Amethyst or U87 for vocals. It's such a superb mic.
Old 12th February 2014
Lives for gear

How is the build quality of Violet mics??

The reason I'm asking is that I just got 2 Violet Design Yokemounts for my M49's and the quality is more than questionable. They charge € 200,- each plus taxes, so it's very expensive for what it is.

I had to do quite a bit of recutting threads, grinding off sharp edges etc.. they had to be taken apart completelly to do that and parts had to be bent to the right size to avoid damaging / scratching the mics when mounting.

So this was a bad "Violet-Experience".
Old 12th February 2014
Gear Guru

The "Black Knight" is a good vocal mic.

Sound On Sound review is here.

Quote:
Overall, I was very impressed with this mic. It deserves to do well, because it is a very accomplished and well-balanced design, offering real value for money, and would make an excellent first mic for anyone setting up a home studio on a reasonable budget, easily delivering quality results from any source. Recommended.
Old 12th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarwolle View Post

The reason I'm asking is that I just got 2 Violet Design Yokemounts for my M49's and the quality is more than questionable. They charge € 200,- each plus taxes, so it's very expensive for what it is.

I had to do quite a bit of recutting threads, grinding off sharp edges etc.. they had to be taken apart completelly to do that and parts had to be bent to the right size to avoid damaging / scratching the mics when mounting.

So this was a bad "Violet-Experience".
Really? That surprise me quite a lot.. I had and still have many Violet models and every shockmount is at least good.. some are excellent.. (of course it also depend on the price of the mic) Their build quality is pretty good and the mics sounds great..

Btw I wonder why you didn't contact Andreas Grosser (or the guys at Flea) since you have an M49.. Violet, despite making very good mics is not really a supplier of shockmounts (or yokes) for old mics..
That said I'd contact them and speak directly with Violet, I'm pretty sure that they would address your issue.

Cheu
Old 13th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

The built quality of all my Violet mics is very good. But I would never get the idea to buy a separate shockmount from Violet. Do they have those? The shockmounts that come with most Violet models are fine quality though and work really well. Despite that, I prefer using a universal shockmount from Rycote. They fit most different mic models, so you can leave them on and change mics between brands.
Old 13th February 2014
Here for the gear

I have two Violet shockmounts, have had one of them for about 7 years and still going strong.

I must say that the Amethyst Vintage is a great microphone. If the Violet's are good enough for Foo Fighters they're good enough for me! The Foo Fighters | Grohl's Garage
Old 14th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
The built quality of all my Violet mics is very good. But I would never get the idea to buy a separate shockmount from Violet. Do they have those? The shockmounts that come with most Violet models are fine quality though and work really well. Despite that, I prefer using a universal shockmount from Rycote. They fit most different mic models, so you can leave them on and change mics between brands.
Well, it's not a shock mount, it's just a mount for Neumann M49's:

VYM - Violet-Design

I was lucky to get 2 M49's and therefore in need for a suitable mount. Violet is available in Germany and I thought the quality is fine as they advertise "handmade of solid brass", but the quality was disappointing.

Maybe their other prodicts are of good quality as all other posters confirm!
Old 10th November 2015
Gear Head

I'm using Global Pré + vin 26 + vin 47. Great sound! Vin 26 is very universal and it has a very detailed sound.You can easy put in the mix. Vin 47 autentic vintage sound, very close to u47.
Old 10th November 2015
Lives for gear

I love the Flamingo Standard, and it also sounds killer on acoustic guitars! Here it is on the vocal of my last demo... https://soundcloud.com/daniel-weldon...g-for-a-change
Old 10th November 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Well, it's not a shock mount, it's just a mount for Neumann M49's:

VYM - Violet-Design

I was lucky to get 2 M49's and therefore in need for a suitable mount. Violet is available in Germany and I thought the quality is fine as they advertise "handmade of solid brass", but the quality was disappointing.

Maybe their other prodicts are of good quality as all other posters confirm!
If you want a mount for a genuine Neumann M49, then I would go straight to Flea in Slovakia as their mount is superb and will be the ideal match for an original Neumann M49.
Old 12th April 2016
So where can we purchase Violet mics these days? Their old distributor no longer carries them. Definitely want to pick up a Vin67 or possibly a Amethsyt Vintage. Which mic is the Vin26 modeled after, is it like the Blue B6 or 8? I see that they are available used with the Global Pre but I already have one of the first Rockets that sounds better than the new ones as a base.
Old 12th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKeefe1032 View Post
So where can we purchase Violet mics these days? Their old distributor no longer carries them.
It seems in the USA you could purchase directly from Violet in Estonia, as they ask you to email them directly: Distributors | Violet Design (I've been in touch with them several times and always got a satisfying answer. It is a small company.)

Thomann carries them too: Violet Microphones - Thomann UK Not sure if they export to the USA though.
Old 12th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKeefe1032 View Post
So where can we purchase Violet mics these days? Their old distributor no longer carries them. Definitely want to pick up a Vin67 or possibly a Amethsyt Vintage. Which mic is the Vin26 modeled after, is it like the Blue B6 or 8? I see that they are available used with the Global Pre but I already have one of the first Rockets that sounds better than the new ones as a base.
I know that GS member Nu-tra is a dealer for Violet in The US now..
Maybe he'll chime in :-)

Cheu
Old 12th April 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
I know that GS member Nu-tra is a dealer for Violet in The US now..
Maybe he'll chime in :-)

Cheu

Thanks Cheu,

I'm about to put in my first dealer order in about a week. Anyone want anything in particular?

Thanks

Last edited by Nu-tra; 12th April 2016 at 07:53 PM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search