The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
To set up a Publishing Company?
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Maniac

To set up a Publishing Company?

Hello,
I was thinking of selling songs to media down the line. Should I be looking into setting up a publishing company if I want to try and sell music to music supervisers, or ad agencies? Is it necessary to set one up then? What about game developers, or film, do you guys who sell music to these things have a publishing company you work with, or have set up your own? Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear
Its always a good idea. I'm a BMI guy, so I can't speak to ASCAP or SESAC policies. BMI will give you a publishing company if you have a commercial release. Otherwise these days they trat the writer as if he was his own publisher. Some investigating on their web site will give you some answers....try all of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBassPlayer View Post
Hello,
I was thinking of selling songs to media down the line. Should I be looking into setting up a publishing company if I want to try and sell music to music supervisers, or ad agencies? Is it necessary to set one up then? What about game developers, or film, do you guys who sell music to these things have a publishing company you work with, or have set up your own? Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Nut

Pickup the book. everything you needed to know about the music business by donald passman. he is an entertainment lawyer and this is my everyday on the shelf handbook. It has this really cool section on setting up your publishing company with ascap and bmi. You want to do both because not everyone licencing music off of you will only have one more of a mixture of two of them. anyway it is awsome book and worth the investment into it you can pick it up on chapters

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search