The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best Vocal Mic in the $800-1200 price range! Condenser Microphones
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Best Vocal Mic in the $800-1200 price range!

Hi ! what is the best vocal mic that I can get in the $800- $1200 price range?

I am looking for a Vocal Mic that can sound warm and with lot of presence and body...whatI do more is modern rock, Power Pop.

I have a BlueBerry mic ..that I think is a good mic for vocals and other instruments , but I want a mic that can be noticeble far superior for Vocals!
Old 22nd August 2007
Well for just over $1200 you can get a Peluso P12 which is a fantastic vocal mic.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

AUDIO_TECHNICA 4060
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

I really like the Mojave MA-200
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Addict

Ditto on the Mojave, the only thing i dont like about it is the shockmount, what a terrible shockmount.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zak7 View Post
Hi ! what is the best vocal mic that I can get in the $800- $1200 price range?
Here's a thread that might help with some answers:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/1425417-post5.html
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
Well for just over $1200 you can get a Peluso P12 which is a fantastic vocal mic.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks guys!! and If I can stretch a bit more there is anything much better?
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Ok! good to clarify!! I am looking for a Vocal Mic that can sound warm and with lot of presence and body...whatI do more is modern rock, Power Pop.

I have a BlueBerry mic ..that I think is a good mic for vocals and other instruments , but I want a mic that can be noticeble far superior for Vocals!
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Yep I have had great success with the Mojave 200 also! Male - female - acoustic gtr - electric gtr - drums the thing makes every thing sound really nice!

Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestarbass View Post
Ditto on the Mojave, the only thing i dont like about it is the shockmount, what a terrible shockmount.

YES!!! terrible shockmount, hard to get it to stay, tinly little adjustment knob. great mic though!!!!

Mojave is very warm and thick for vocals,
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestarbass View Post

Just an FYI they fixed the shock mount. In fact, I had issues with the older version and just called them and they sent me the new and improved one no questions asked for free. Rusty and Dave (Royer) there are great.
Old 22nd August 2007
Here for the gear

SoundDelux U195.
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Nut

Here's a few thoughts get a Oktava MK219 on ebay for about $100 send it to michael joly have him mod it(oktavamods.com) total cost $250 Or If you want to get a awesome Microphone with variable patterns get a AKG BULS 414 and send it to Jim Williams at audioupgrades.com have him mod it total cost when ur done about $650 to 700 depending how much u paid for the mic His mod is about $250.
Either way you will have a great mic or mics in that price range that wont be shamed by any Neumann or other high end mic company.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by basstracker7769 View Post
Here's a few thoughts get a Oktava MK219 on ebay for about $100 send it to michael joly have him mod it(oktavamods.com) total cost $250 Or If you want to get a awesome Microphone with variable patterns get a AKG BULS 414 and send it to Jim Williams at audioupgrades.com have him mod it total cost when ur done about $650 to 700 depending how much u paid for the mic His mod is about $250.
Either way you will have a great mic or mics in that price range that wont be shamed by any Neumann or other high end mic company.
If you send the MK-219 or 319 to Michael Joly, I'd highly recommend getting the full monty Premium Electronics mod done for another $100, so you're total cost is around $350-- a great mic.
Another option is to have a Nady/Apex upgraded with a Peluso cap, Cinemag/Peluso/or Tab-Funkenwerk transformer, and the rest of the "Dave Thomas" mods, or to have a Royer mod done to a mic (or to do it yourself). I'm having a Royer mod done to a mic which will have a Peluso CEK-367 capsule, switchable cardioid/omni modes and a 6250 (I believe)tube instead of the 5480 used in the typical Royer mods, so it heats differently. A similarly equipped Royer modded mic will run you less than a production MA-200.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickencoop View Post
If you send the MK-219 or 319 to Michael Joly, I'd highly recommend getting the full monty Premium Electronics mod done for another $100, so you're total cost is around $350-- a great mic...
Quote:
Another option is to have a Nady/Apex upgraded with a Peluso cap, Cinemag/Peluso/or Tab-Funkenwerk transformer, and the rest of the "Dave Thomas" mods, or to have a Royer mod done to a mic (or to do it yourself)..
with whom? Dave thomas?

Quote:
I'm having a Royer mod done to a mic which will have a Peluso CEK-367 capsule, switchable cardioid/omni modes and a 6250 (I believe)tube instead of the 5480 used in the typical Royer mods, so it heats differently. A similarly equipped Royer modded mic will run you less than a production MA-200.
who can do this mod?

Thanks guys and Chickencoop !!
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zak7 View Post
with whom? Dave thomas?

who can do this mod?

Thanks guys and Chickencoop !!
I wouldn't use Dave Thomas-- he took 5 months to finish mine and I've heard he takes longer now (but I can't verify that).

I know a couple of techs who do the "Dave Thomas mod" (I'm not sure if I should even call it that), and if you're interested pm me and I can put you in touch with the tech who's doing the work on the other mic for me.

IME Michael Joly of Oktavamod is a great tech in terms of his skill, and a great businessman in terms of his customer service and scheduling (he'll tell you when you mic will be modded, when it's going to be burning in and when it'll get shipped back to you, up front and he sticks to his schedule).
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

No offence to chickencoop - I am well aware of his difficult time he had with Dave - But it should also be noted that I have 5 Mics from Dave Thomas and I love them!

The 47 he did for me mod is supanice!

Soundawg
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

none taken-- dave thomas did very good work. it was the long wait and the numerous times he outright lied to me about what was delaying the work or told me that he was days from completing the work and shipping the mic (that began about a month after he received it). i just got two others done from other techs. one took 5 days, the other took 2 weeks. both used better capacitors and both did the zener diode mod for me in the power supply. i sourced my own parts rather than getting them through dave. they charged less for labor than dave thomas. the total cost was also cheaper.
the mic dave thomas did for me also had some "quality control" type issues. the paint on the mic (he repaints and badges them) was not 100% dry when it got to me so it a) kind of sealed the mic shut and b) became dented when i put it into a shockmount.
Old 22nd August 2007
Baz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundawg View Post
No offence to chickencoop - I am well aware of his difficult time he had with Dave - But it should also be noted that I have 5 Mics from Dave Thomas and I love them!

The 47 he did for me mod is supanice!

Soundawg
Same. while I'm well aware of numerous challenges Dave has had, and customers having to wait for Dave to come thru, my transaction with Dave went flawless and the CM47LE we ended up with, is a great mic - I arranged the mic for a friend but wish I had a pair of them myself. For $1400 I can have 2 of these bad boys..

I've actually found another guy locally who can do the mod if need be, in the event Dave isn't available as I think he mentioned that he might be moving out of town the last time I spoke with him.

The mod consisted of a new tube, CEK367 cap and Cinemag 2461 xfrmr all put in a NADY TCM1050 body. He had to do some dremel work on the frame rails to make that beefy tranny fit.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search