The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Masterlink questions
Old 6th November 2002
Lives for gear

Masterlink questions

Not finding anything in the manual . . . .

How do you delete a "rendered image"?

Why are these things such **** for playback decks and is there a cure? Mine can't track cds for ****.

Is output slightly higher then +4 for some reason?
Old 6th November 2002
Gear Nut

I'm assuming you're talking about deleting a Rendered Playlist. There's no way to delete that playlist but if you're concerned about the disc space it takes up there's no recordable space taken up whether you have an empty Rendered Playlist or one that's over an hour. If you're still concerned you can start to render a new playlist and just cancel it a few seconds into its creation.

As for playing CDs on these things I don't know what to tell you. The CD has to be perfectly clean and if it's a CD-R it had to be recorded on a good quality recorder to play back properly. But most people have crappy recorders and the Masterlink just gives up. I gave up too and bought another CD player for the control room.

Hope that helps.
Old 6th November 2002
They have a rep to not dig CDR's

I find the output annoyingly too 'hot' also.

But you should be monitoring your Masterink out of your Cransong Hedd!!

Take 50 lashes with a wet noodle!

I find the ML output a) loud b) too 'fat' / warm... The Hedd is 'finer' / more detailed & accuratate in the bottom end

Reminder - a true A/B is done by listening via the same converters!

I will float back up on my Gearslutz cloud now and play the harp a little....

Old 6th November 2002
Lives for gear

No . . . . ur harp playing is all out of tune . . . . I DO listen back through the Hedd unit, most of the time.

btw . . nice spelling on "accuratate" *smile*
Old 11th November 2002
Lives for gear

I must say that box has been a bit of a disapointment. But at least when i mix on analog gear theres no DAT machine!!!!!
Old 11th November 2002
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally posted by bjornson
I must say that box has been a bit of a disapointment.
Which unit? The HEDD or the Mastrlink?
Old 12th November 2002
Lives for gear

Mine "rumbles". The unit itself makes a low end rumble that is fairly loud in the control room.

Also Jules . . . . mine has trouble tracking regular cds that have any little scratches on them. Doesn't make any sense on Alesis end as you can buy cheap **** cd players that will track anything. It just seems ridiculous that you have to keep a cd player in the control room along with the Masterlink to be able to play cds. Overall though . . . I like it as far as a recorder.

I can't imagine the Hedd being a disappointment.
Old 12th November 2002
The Masterlink outs are so Fat sounding.... is that just me or does it sound TOO warm?

Jules
Old 12th November 2002
Lives for gear

I wouldn't know about the outputs (I use a Lucid D/A for monitoring). As far as the ML not letting liking CDs with any flaws, I've heard speculation - though nothing from anyone with any authority - that since it was made to be a master recorder, that most or all of the error correction that a normal CDplayer has was left out. The idea being that you want to be aware of any potential problems on your master - especially if you want bit-to-bit transfer for duplication with no third party corrections/enhancements/processing/editing.
Like I said, just stuff I heard - take it with a grain of salt.

Scott
Old 14th November 2002
Here for the gear

do the playback problems apply to CDR's that were originally burned on the masterlink as well? If i'm making regular 44.1/16 bit cd's on the masterlink will it have a problem playing those back?

- neil
Old 14th November 2002
Lives for gear

For me . . it seems to have trouble tracking anything that has even the slightest scratches or one that needs cleaning. A new, clean cd, especially one that was made on the Masterlink is fine. In my experience, though mine is fairly new, so others can probably help you more then I.
Old 14th November 2002
Lives for gear

Interesting insight on the Masterlink. I was thinking of picking one up , but am now curious if there are other boxes I should be considering. Any thoughts? TommyD
Old 14th November 2002
Lives for gear

Tommy . . talk to Jules. He can help you much better then I. It may be that I am so new to it and don't know how to work it properly yet. Jules has been helping me with mine.
Old 14th November 2002
Lives for gear

is there any alternative but a DA45?? (also sensitive)
Old 15th November 2002
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

I think buying a Masterlink is a no-brainer.

Mine reads commercial CDs fine.

The problem is with burned CDs...and I agree that it's annoying, because I prefer to listen to CDs on the Masterlink for the vital reason that it can slave to an outside clock...unlike most other CD players.

The fact that the Masterlink can slave to outside clocks and use outside converters makes it a far better a/b mixing tool than any CD player that can't do both.

The output level is okay with me...it seems to be set at -16dbFS = 0dBVU, because I find it is about as hot as an outside converter set to that level...which is a standard one.

I would characterize the sound of the Masterlink converters as relatively hi-fi/scooped...more treble, less mids and more bass (but less bass definition) than the PSX100SE converter.

Jon

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search