The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AEA R84 Review Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgreatriver View Post
Thanks!

I wonder if I dare post my API (Lunchbox) experience?
Just do it! We (I) will try not to make fun. Maybe you need some clarification of ... everything... Maybe you'll find some help here among the amusing posts...

But - are you sure you're not making fun of people here? Are you really serious?

"Direct to tape without preamp" was a strong one and also the conclusion about ribbon mics and liking music of Chick Corea - space oddity, man...
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks guys!

I'm not making fun - but I have some interesting (creative) thought about the size of the lunchbox and star-config... I tell you more later. I need to check my findings with a friend before I GO public...
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Nut

I will give you $101.00 and a kiss for it!
mp
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

ggr,

If you really want us to have some fun... just make your reviews into video demonstrations and post them on YouTube! We love that stuff around here!
hehheh
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Conclusion: ribbon microphones is of no use in a modern recording environment. Unless maybe if you like music like Chic Corea.
Terrible microphone, just awful.. Let me give you my mailing address..
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks!

I wonder if I dare post my API (Lunchbox) experience?
There better be something more in there than a sandwich.

-R
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Addict

Originally Posted by greatgreatriver
Conclusion: ribbon microphones is of no use in a modern recording environment. Unless maybe if you like music like Chic Corea.

======

Oh not so great river
Your brains are like liver
You didn't read the manual
Or get your ears checked annual

The colors of ribbons
Are wasted on Gibbons
You tried a lunchbox once, maybe it's true
But it doesn't count when it says Scooby-Doo

Old 24th August 2007
Gear Head

Hahaha! SANDWICH!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman View Post
There better be something more in there than a sandwich.

-R
Maybe its Spacefood Snacks.
Old 24th August 2007
my R84 gets a lot of care and attention. I have one with the DJV (DJ Vocal) option. Great for voice over projects - almost no need for compression or de-essing especially with PRO VO artists.

Great on acoustic guitars and drum room mics, too.

I'd like to get another one though.
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Addict

someone beat me to the sandwich joke......

Wow,

Well, it's not the right mic for what your after - but still a mic that I love.....not for "modern" sounding bright vocals.

Excerllent on sources that you want to sound round and soft.

Think about it, there's tool for everything.

Still, this is a funny thread.

I have to hear the API review now.
heh

Chris
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Addict

I nearly fell off my chair reading that great review of one of the finest microphones ever made !...

We need more !!!...
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
no pre amp. straight to tape.
The other day I was trying out a new guitar, going for that very aggressive PRS into a Boogie Recto disto tone. I didn't use a guitar amp or any plugs, just ran the guitar DI into my DAW and recorded it. Man, that guitar sounded like crap! No distortion whatsoever, just a thin clean sound that almost sounded like someone just ran an electric guitar straight into a DAW. Conclusion: electric guitars are no good for recording aggressive disto tones
Old 29th August 2007
No, he's got a ham & Swiss and some Doritos in the lunchbox.
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Addict

Is it the batman or superman lunchbox. If its the Batman they have a known problem with the hinges. That could be your problem right there.
Old 29th August 2007
Here for the gear

OK, it's pretty clear that many people get confused after test driving the first ribbon mic; especially after using just modern condensers.

I have a T-Bone RB500 (same as Nady RSM-2) which imitates its great predecessor from RCA, just like your AEA but it's a lot cheaper and, well, still not as shiny but mind blowing for the price.

So, I was also surprised by the muddiness back then, but for me, the key was to move my head back from the mic and try diffrent directions. That gave me already like hundred miles away better results, so the proximity effect (boost of low frequencies near the mic) was very obvious at least in case of the RB500. I have heard from people that ribbons usually start to sound the better the further away they're situated from the sound source (don't put the mic 20 meters back anyway ).

Even then, eq is usually needed, but even with fair boost it sounds surprisingly natural.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

i just got an API lunchbox in for review. i sang at it and nothing happened. my conclusion is that it sucksheh
Old 17th August 2014
Here for the gear

I run mt AEA R-84 thru the AEA RPQ Pre Amp & really love the sound I get......it needs a great Pre !!
Old 10th March 2015
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I've been waiting almost 8 years to hear the OP's Lunchbox story. The suspense has aged me. Considerably.
Old 10th March 2015
Lives for gear

He he

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Piranha View Post
Hahaha! SANDWICH!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!
A sandwich short of a picnic

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search