The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How are the older Sansamps with dip switches? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Head

How are the older Sansamps with dip switches?

Just trying to get an idea of how good the older boxes were. Do they have the same great sound, or are the modern ones an improvement? Lemme know!

Thanks,
Ice
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

The older one is "the" classic, and more expensive. It's the most recommended one for studio recording.

I remember trying one early on, and not being that impressed except on bass guitar. I have a BDDI for that now.

I had the Triac and GT2, and they all sound different. I think the new ones are better for modern hi gain sounds, although I haven't kept them. I like the Radial Tonebones better.

I love Chad Blakes work with Crowded House especially, so I would love to get a classic sansamp at some stage just to use for parallel processing on stuff. Probably not as a guitar effect.

There's something about that FET distortion that's rather musical. But I find them noisier than other stompboxes. Not unuseable - no more noisy than a tube amp.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
Just trying to get an idea of how good the older boxes were. Do they have the same great sound, or are the modern ones an improvement? Lemme know!

Thanks,
Ice
I have 4 different versions (2 different versions of the classic pedal, the original rack version and the newer PSA rack version) that I use on a daily basis...to me, they're all good...Doesn't mean they're all the same...they do sound quite different...you work some of them a bit harder and they'll all give you cool sounds...

Last edited by The Alamo; 22nd August 2007 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: reason came to me on this very day
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

all awesome, all different,

My favs are the Classic, Tri-Ac, and the Trademark 10 combo amp direct out thumbsup.

comptortion is pretty cool to, not really a sans amp, but effectivly does the same tricks.

I happen to like the older ones better (my 12 year old classic is "better" than the new one). but thats just me.
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Addict

I have the classic one. I mainly use it for bass and voice. The impedance of the entry is important for a good tone. I "reamp" my sounds from the DAW. I use the Little pcp for this. The sansamp is noisy but it never annoys me.
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Head

Thanks for the replies, guys! I was just curious if it really had the mojo that the modern contemporary offers. I've been using a borrowed SansAmp Bass Driver DI and wanted to know if the classic would be a disappointment when doing bass tracking. Thanks!
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

The guitar players in Clawfinger used that model for a few albums and tours, so...
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
Thanks for the replies, guys! I was just curious if it really had the mojo that the modern contemporary offers. I've been using a borrowed SansAmp Bass Driver DI and wanted to know if the classic would be a disappointment when doing bass tracking. Thanks!
Yes it does...Even with only a few dip switches, the classic has many useful sounds to it...also (and definitely) for bass guitar...I have a few Classics, of both editions (original model, and newer one with battery compartment lid). Both are equally good...Same for the pre 'Harmin Carton' rackmount version...The newer, PSA, sound a bit different though...you'll need some hefty eq'ing post sansamp to bring it up to spec with the older sansamps...But you should be able to make it work with any of them, regardless of their version or color...
RR.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search