The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
LINE 6 HAVE SOME NEW STUFF KEPT SECRET!! What is it? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

LINE 6 HAVE SOME NEW STUFF KEPT SECRET!! What is it?

Line 6 are working on something new, does anyone have a clue what it is?
I dont want to buy a pod xt to then have it become inferior, or could've bought something better!
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

they are working on yet another CRAPPY sounding device.

Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy View Post

Beat me to it!

By the time you've bought a few of the digital toys, you could have bought some real tube amps, cabs and stomp boxes and got yourself some decent sounds.

I have a Podxt, and I will admit you can get a lot worse. Roland COSM crap, for example. But analog gear stomps the **** out of these digital toys.

I'm not being snobby - there is something fundamentally wrong with the digital distortion sound. I find it particulary irksome on solo lead stuff - the weird overtones just sound wrong.

For recording purposes, plugin effects (even free VST ones) can do much better than POD effects. That leaves the Tuner as being about the best thing in the box.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Well, IMO Line 6 put out one of the most innovative products in the market in the last 10 years
the POD XT is a great tool and their effect boxes (particulary the DL4) are great fun.
It is so awful sounding that everybody from Radiohead to U2 are using some Line6 stuff...
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

It's funny, I thought about selling my DL4 several times but keep coming back to it, especially for live use. I bought a T.Rex Replica pedal, it's a great sounding unit but the tap function is very awkward in live use.

What I really would like to see is a version of the DL4 and the other Modelers with MORE STORAGE, meaning that we could program more than 3 sounds for instant recall. This is a big drawback IMO on the current models as I really need more than 3 delay settings for a gig.

And the Expression Pedal function on the DL4 is a joke, it deson't work right. Another major bummer, as I could live with only 3 delay sounds when it would be possible to mix in the delay or repeat amount with an expression pedal. Line 6 claims that you can but after buying such a pedal specifically for that task I realized that it only adds glitches- this was confirmed by lots of user reviews on Harmony Central so I know that it wasn't a problem of my specific pedal.

I sold my POD though and don't regret it!
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
It's funny, I thought about selling my DL4 several times but keep coming back to it, especially for live use. I bought a T.Rex Replica pedal, it's a great sounding unit but the tap function is very awkward in live use.

What I really would like to see is a version of the DL4 and the other Modelers with MORE STORAGE, meaning that we could program more than 3 sounds for instant recall. This is a big drawback IMO on the current models as I really need more than 3 delay settings for a gig.

And the Expression Pedal function on the DL4 is a joke, it deson't work right. Another major bummer, as I could live with only 3 delay sounds when it would be possible to mix in the delay or repeat amount with an expression pedal. Line 6 claims that you can but after buying such a pedal specifically for that task I realized that it only adds glitches- this was confirmed by lots of user reviews on Harmony Central so I know that it wasn't a problem of my specific pedal.

I sold my POD though and don't regret it!

it looks like you need an echo pro: lots of memory and you can control it by midi. No glitches.
i used the DL4 with the line 6 pedal and it works...it does not work with a normal synth expression pedal .
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Addict

Theyre working on something with Reinhold Bogner for sure. Bogner also posted a message on the line6 myspace thanking them for working together this well or something.

B..GNER

Now, if you guys have actually HEARD Bogner amps you'll understand why I'm excited about this news thumbsup
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Nut

It'll be a Spider Valve 112, 212 and a 100HD.......
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Maybe yet another damn yuppie accountant has convinced a respected company to sell his "brand name" down the river like all the rest.

Do we need yet another guitar amp with DSP inserted up it? IF Line6 have realised that digital distortion is crap, and IF they have invented a way to control a real tube analog path via DSP, then MAYBE I might be interested.

Otherwise, I expect it's like Fender Cyber amps and all the other cyber **** that will be yesterday's newpaper.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by baikonour View Post
it looks like you need an echo pro: lots of memory and you can control it by midi. No glitches.
i used the DL4 with the line 6 pedal and it works...it does not work with a normal synth expression pedal .
Thanks for the tip, I thought that I used the Line 6 Expression pedal though but I'm not 100% sure as it's been some years ago.

As for the Pro Version: My main use for the DL4 is live and I don't want to add rackgear at the moment as I've already carry around too much gear (without roadies).
Also, it wouldn't make financial sense as I prefer the 'real' units in the studio. The T.Rex is great and I also use a MemoryMan and a few vintage units like a Klemt Echolette.

Depending on the band I'm playing with, I sometimes only need a 'Edge/Gilmour'-type timed delay for one or two songs. So programming these already takes up 2/3 of the DL4s storage and now where's my Slapback and also my Sweep delay that I also only need for one song each? Currently I work with 2 pedals live, the T.Rex Replica for subtle general delay and the DL4 for the Edge-ier things. Sometimes I add a Danelectro DanEcho for Rockabilly-tyle Slapback.

Anyway, this won't happen but I'd like Line 6 to lose the Looper section of the DL4 (it's a bad copy of the Boomerang Phrase Sampler anyway) and thus this section could be used for more storage of delays. It really bugs me that an otherwise great pedal gets shortcutted because of fictive 'versality'. I bet that nobody switches between the DL4's Loop and Delay sections in live use anyway.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

both the rackmounted elay and the guitar pedal version are amazing delay boxes. The green guitar delay makes delays possible in a stomp box that were never available. That rackmount delay is one of my favorite vocal delay boxes.

The yellow foot distortion box can generate some whacky overdrive sounds that are very cool.

The purple filter rackmounted box can really help separate guitar tracks in a mix.

Yeah, they suck. tutt
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

i got a pod and it's a great composing tool, laying down guides etc save you micing up an amp, some of the clean tones are ok too but i agree the dist is lacking balls.
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Maniac

My opinion is the line six delay modeller/looper is a good value. I have never used a boomerang but am heavily into looping as a tool to write songs. The sound quality is okay. It is silly that the longest time is 28 seconds looping.

The saving grace is it easy of use!

I would like a product that has Very High sound quality and has multiple inputs and outputs, that can keep the signal paths separate. Or at least multiple inputs and a small mixer inside...

The boomerang looks nice but only has one main input and output with an rca aux input and output.

I have also wanted to try the boss RC50.. but for 6 years i have used the dl4 and it has helped me to create music!
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

hope they add a frekin midi guitar to their line up. its so wierd (to not say dumb) to not add a roland or whatever ouput to send midi to the computer from the hex pickups they have already mounted with the reasoning that guistarist could become confuse and think its a midi guitar instead of a multi-sounding (real) guitar.

its like toyota putting out an electric vehicle but adding a gas option so the consumer wont become confuse and think its a toy.

Also the toneport is a joke. the actual A/D sounds very bad so i have to conect it to my real interface and then use the plugin gearbox which drains sooo much CPU. i can only use nor more than 2-3 in a mix. when guitar rig and logics amp emulation sound better and dont suck so much cpu.

they do have good ideas though. AND where lucky with its pod which fuel its income to come up with more stuff thats not so good. so good ideas but enough follow throu or just going after the "garageband" market.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

Yo mixerguy, Their fake guitar amps are hideous but their delay products are quite usable.
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Addict

Looks Like they announced the new line of Bogner/Line 6 amps...

http://www.line6.com/spidervalve/ind...ve+CenterFlash
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Nut

I know everyone wants to talk trash on these amps, i know the line 6 digital modeling has been a definite no no for tone purists, but according to what I have read, these are real tube amps, real tube pre amp section (12AX7's) and a real power amp section (6L6's), with the modeling in between, i mean it is still a possibility that they will blow, but I will still be interested to see how they sound, you get the emulation and still get the real harmonic content that a real tube amp delivers, I'll at least demo it before i knock it
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Krumhansl View Post
I know everyone wants to talk trash on these amps, i know the line 6 digital modeling has been a definite no no for tone purists, but according to what I have read, these are real tube amps, real tube pre amp section (12AX7's) and a real power amp section (6L6's), with the modeling in between, i mean it is still a possibility that they will blow, but I will still be interested to see how they sound, you get the emulation and still get the real harmonic content that a real tube amp delivers, I'll at least demo it before i knock it
I, for one, will not tolerate this open-mindedness, sir!tutt
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

I work for a production company with over 200 tube amps. everything from Dumbles, Vintage Fenders, Plexi's, Bogners, Germinos, Voxes, you name it. We are all excited for Bogner and Line 6 to continue this partnership and eventually deliver us a 100 watt amp that has cathode bias, and hopefully a dual 50 watt amp. half (two tubes) 6L6 and half (two tubes) EL34 that are switchable. Then all the amp models. That would be awesome. Don't fear the future. And definitely don't fear the tools. I wonder if a carpenter years ago got scared by the electric screwdriver? pussys. I kidd I kidd.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Or you could just plug a POD into the loop of your tube amp. Tube preamp
section, POD, tube power section.
Old 30th December 2007
Lives for gear

So they finally released the new product line....

X3

Line 6
Old 30th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau_mckee View Post
So they finally released the new product line....

X3

Line 6

I just bought the new Pocket POD and I'd have to say, it's the biggest piece of **** I've ever run thru an amp. I know they're usually DI devices but that sounded even worse. I thought I had a brilliant idea to run a POD in front of an Epi VJ and good Lord was that a waste of money. I tweaked for nearly an hour and found 1 usuable tone for the song I was working on. I must of looked like the biggest turd in the world trying get a tone out of that stupid thing. The bands Digitech Metal pedal ended up being the go to for lead/solo sounds, the POD just sounded really weird when trying to dial in a good lead tone.
Old 30th December 2007
Lives for gear

I'm curious about this product. Not so much interested, just curious. My suspicions are that Line 6 is using all the same models already used and having an amp guru try and make it sound as good as possible. Now if they've taken a step back and really reworked their entire modeling and made significant improvements then they might almost be in the league as the Fractal Audio Axefx. It's what Line 6 could've been if they'd set out to conquer modeling with no regard to cost. (Not that that's always the best business plan)
The Fractal piece rocks as a direct recording easy solution and through a tube power section it just gets better. I've owned a pod pro, Vetta 2 and can say without a doubt Line 6 had better pull out all the stops because they're a long way from being on the cutting edge since the release of the Fractal piece.
With Bogner's rep, I'm sure it will sound as good as a Line 6 product ever could. If anyone can make it sound "real", he'd be one the few people who could do it I guess.
Old 31st December 2007
Lives for gear

I liked the concept of the Variax guitar - Did anyone try it? Is it a decent enough guitar to get for the supposedly nice range of sounds?
Old 31st December 2007
Gear Addict

I have like every guitar amp plugin made, and they are all kinda decent in their own way. But the other day I loaded a project which had guitar tracks done by my good ole Pod 2.0, and I was pretty wowed at how good they sounded. I had a bunch of eq on them and definitely spent more time tweaking them, but the song sounded great. I'm pretty excited about their new stuff, I bet it'll be great.
Junk
Old 31st December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm View Post
Yo mixerguy, Their fake guitar amps are hideous but their delay products are quite usable.

+1
The delay box is the only decent thing that company has done.
Old 31st December 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy79 View Post
I just bought the new Pocket POD and I'd have to say, it's the biggest piece of **** I've ever run thru an amp. I know they're usually DI devices but that sounded even worse. I thought I had a brilliant idea to run a POD in front of an Epi VJ and good Lord was that a waste of money. I tweaked for nearly an hour and found 1 usuable tone for the song I was working on. I must of looked like the biggest turd in the world trying get a tone out of that stupid thing. The bands Digitech Metal pedal ended up being the go to for lead/solo sounds, the POD just sounded really weird when trying to dial in a good lead tone.
My guesses are that the problem is more on the fact that
A) the pod doesnt fit to your song
B) the pod doesnt fit to your guitar
C) the problem is on user

With no personal live experience from the product itself I say:
A) from the samples I listened on the line6 site, the pocket pod is not that great for heavy higain stuff, but it has really awesome clean tones.
B) my friend has a gibson studio lespaul and a peavey triple xxx amp with vintage marshall 4x12 cab. the crunchy tone is awesome when those two combined, but if I try my semi-cheap LTD thru it with the same tone, as my humbucker pickups have a lot less sustain than the ones one the lespaul, the sound pretty much sucks, but in my opinion the clean tone is better on the LTD
C) ...and in my opinion the need of more than 2-3 guitartones for a song (clean and crunch + possibly a lead boost), is just a sign that you can't play

But I'm atleast going to try out the X3 and Spider Valve, they sounded fabulous from the samples
Old 31st December 2007
Lives for gear

pods sound like **** for high-gain emulation. the sounds are almost unmixable without extensive work & layering.

i, for one, am not excited.

for live work i can see them viable, but for studio, unless doing clean-stuff. no thanks. AMPLITUBE smokes a pod and our mesa roadking smokes em all.
Old 31st December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savernake View Post
I liked the concept of the Variax guitar - Did anyone try it? Is it a decent enough guitar to get for the supposedly nice range of sounds?
I played for a guy once who used a Variax acoustic. It sounded okay for live use, better than the typical piezo pickup > D.I. sound of most guitars under $1500. All the models sounded like they were compressed though, and hard strumming sounded a little crunchy.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search