The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Connect MOTU 2408 to A&H Mixwizard (balanced vs unabalanced content)
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Maniac
Connect MOTU 2408 to A&H Mixwizard (balanced vs unabalanced content)

I want to connect my MOTU 2408 analog input/outputs to the tape in/out inputs on my A&H Mixwizard (it's the older WZ 20.8.2 model).

The MOTU's analog jacks are TRS, balanced, switchable to either -10db or +4db. The Mixwizard's Tape Inputs are TRS, unbalanced, switchable to either -10db or +4db. The Mixwizard's Tape Outputs are TRS, impedance balanced, switchable to either -10db or +4db. I don't understand why the Mixwizard uses unbalanced for Tape In, but balanced for Tape Out, but that's what the tech specs say. And the fact that Mixwizard uses TRS unbalanced also confuses me.

I assume I used 8 balanced cables between the Mixwizard Tape Outs and my MOTU (and set the -10/+4 switches to match). But what do I use between the MOTU and the Mixwizard Tape Inputs? TRS cables since both MOTU and Mixwizard are TRS? But MOTU is balanced and Mixwizard is unbalanced, so TRS presumably won't work? I'm confused. Thanks for any help.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search