The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Do I need a Power Conditioner? Dynamics Plugins
Old 22nd August 2007
Here for the gear

Do I need a Power Conditioner?

I moved into a new house back in Nov.
My studio is in my home.

Since then, I've had two flat panel monitors go out on me, and have blown two speakers in two different types of audio monitors this week! - all while monitoring at VERY low levels. As a side note, my wife told me tonight that two of her hair dryers have died since we moved here.

I have everything on surge protectors so I thought I'd be covered - in terms of not blowing up equipment - but I'm trying to get some eductaed opinions on if I need a power conditioners. Looking around the net, there seems to be more than a few disagreements on the matter.

Anyone have any suggestions?
I'll be calling an electrician too of course, but need something immediately just in case.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

I would call the electrician. Power conditioners are mostly a sham in my opinion. glorified powerstrips.

they would not help the low voltage levels either. for that you would need a voltage regulator.

my advice is to have an electrician check the wiring in your home. if the voltage is Consistantly low, you should also call your utilities company.
Old 22nd August 2007
Deleted User
Power conditioners are cool for getting the noise out of the electric but it sounds like you really need a voltage regulator as was mentioned.
If your wifes hair dryers are dying, theres a good chance your having some major fluctuations in the AC.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

What's the voltage coming out of your wall plugs? My guess is that it's going to be on the high side rather than the low. If it's over what your power company claims to supply, then call them as there might be a problem with the pole pig (transformer) that feeds your house.

Cheers,
--
Don
Old 22nd August 2007
One with big hooves

Yes.

Call an electrician first thing tomorrow.

Something is probably VERY far from kosher.

Power conditioners might solve a couple of 'small' problems but if hair dryers & DVD players are blowing up too...

My guess is some sort of DC on the lines.
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Maniac

Once had that kind of problem with my electric supply. Turned out to be a bad neutral connection. Would cause intermittent spikes (up to 230v) at the wall plugs. Blew out a laserwriter motherboard and a TV power supply. Get it checked quickly!
Old 22nd August 2007
Here for the gear

Thanks for the input!

I'll definitely call an electrician.
Voltage regulators are expensive!
Old 22nd August 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
What's the voltage coming out of your wall plugs? My guess is that it's going to be on the high side rather than the low. If it's over what your power company claims to supply, then call them as there might be a problem with the pole pig (transformer) that feeds your house.
What kind of meter can read this? Some type of voltmeter?
Any suggestions on where to get one? Home Depot or something?

I'd hate to spend $100 for an electrician to come out here, plug a doo-hickey into the outlet and then tell me it's the power company's problem to solve.

Thanks again!
Old 22nd August 2007
Here for the gear

found one! :
"wiggy solenoid voltmeter"
I guess I'll start there.

Thanks!
Old 22nd July 2010
If that dosent work you might call ghost busters
Old 22nd July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerz View Post
What kind of meter can read this? Some type of voltmeter?
Any suggestions on where to get one? Home Depot or something?

I'd hate to spend $100 for an electrician to come out here, plug a doo-hickey into the outlet and then tell me it's the power company's problem to solve.

Thanks again!
you might not be able to read the problem from a voltmeter alone. If there is a DC bias in there, as someone else has suggested, then some AC voltmeters won't show that. If there is spiky noise stuff, the meter might or might not respond quickly enough to let you know about it. Best to go with the electrician. If he tells you it's the power company's problem, it's not so bad...

-synthoid
Old 22nd July 2010
Lives for gear

they're especially good at issues that involve phantom power, obviously...
Old 22nd July 2010
Gear Maniac

that sounds terribly dangerous, like a house fire waiting to happen. is your house real old?
Old 22nd July 2010
Lives for gear

Not that there isn't good info coming out, but check the dates on the OP's.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search