The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone ever use spray on insulation?
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Anyone ever use spray on insulation?

I'm wondering about the spray on foam insulation I've seen. I'm not looking for the outer insulation layer to contribute to my transmission loss, I know better than that. I have to insulate for creature comfort, it gets pretty hot in the south. I'm wondering if, all other factors being equal, the spray on expanding foam insulation would give me a SLIGHT improvement in transmission loss as it would seal any cracks or openings in the exterior wall that aren't easily visible. The product I'm looking at claims to be waterproof when dry. It also looks MUCH easier to install than the pink stuff.

So has anyone used this stuff? Any advice?
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Anyone?
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfreq33 View Post
I'm wondering about the spray on foam insulation I've seen. I'm not looking for the outer insulation layer to contribute to my transmission loss, I know better than that. I have to insulate for creature comfort, it gets pretty hot in the south. I'm wondering if, all other factors being equal, the spray on expanding foam insulation would give me a SLIGHT improvement in transmission loss as it would seal any cracks or openings in the exterior wall that aren't easily visible. The product I'm looking at claims to be waterproof when dry. It also looks MUCH easier to install than the pink stuff.

So has anyone used this stuff? Any advice?

Are you considering this for the walls? If you have never used it before, know that there are differing kinds. Expansion rates and cure times vary depending on product selection and intended use. The stuff in spray cans they sell at the big box home improvement centers is fast expansion low density and _highly_ flammable. Controlling the expansion is difficult unless you have practiced and have done a good number of applications. Choosing the wrong kind and applying it under drywall will pop the drywall from the studs. As for STC reduction, I would bet it's better than an open transmission channel but less desirable than most other options. The stuff from big box retail is low density and porous under the outer cured skin. Another consideration is that uncontrolled expansion may contact adjacent surfaces thereby coupling those surfaces and increase transmission.
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Addict

If you are talking about the professionally applied stuff, it works, but (1) it has to go on before the drywall, and (2) it's a lot more expensive then blow-in.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah, there's no drywall up yet.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search