The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Gear Orphanage - Has Any one here done business with them Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Gear Orphanage - Has Any one here done business with them

Hi

Just about ready to do some business with this company called the Gear Orphanage. Anyone here have any transactional experience with this company. They seem like decent people but I have never heard them talked about so....... to the boards I go, thanks
Old 22nd August 2007
Old 15th October 2007
Gear Nut

sorry to relay this, but Gear Orphangage has been inconsistent and very unreliable with prices and availablility, and Im just down
the street from them! if you think it could be a simple transaction, there's a good chance it won't be
Old 15th October 2007
Lives for gear

He also spams Craigslist with his gear (at least he used to).
Old 15th October 2007
Lives for gear

i sent him a list of gear, he called me right after and said he would look it over and that he was very interested in some of the stuff. never heard from him again.
Old 15th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriphew View Post
He also spams Craigslist with his gear (at least he used to).
he spams CL like a mofo
Old 16th October 2007
Lives for gear

i've bought from Jason (@Gear Orphanage) 3 times, and he was very very quick with the shipping and VERY fair with pricing.... i guess i was lucky?
Old 2nd January 2008
Here for the gear

unimpressed

I have a somewhat neutral view on Gearorphanage. I purchased an Akai MPC3000 about 10 months ago. I chose them because I almost got scammed on eBay for one. Anyways the price was ok at the time. I emailed them for info and he did respond quickly. The one thing that did throw me off was when I asked if he could send me some actual pics of the unit he sounded annoyed as if it were too much to ask. It was listed as excellent condition, but when I got it in one of the Midi ports was cracked. He never mentioned the port was cracked or that the chassis had a dent in it (I should have seen those in the picks, too eager I guess). He also mentioned the MPC was serviced by Forat, which I kinda doubt. I haven't had time to get deep with my MPC, but everything else seems to checkout okay. You have to hit one of the pads with brute force to get a faint sound. I just recommend asking as many questions as possible before doing business. He uses the same pic for any MPC 3000 he sells, so for any other gear ask that he can send you actual pics.

P.S. I know this is my first post, and I didn't come on here to bash or talk ish about
anyone. I searched Gearorphanage on here and seen others had some problems, just thought I'd share my experience.
Old 5th May 2009
Gear Maniac

Great experience

I too was doing a google search and found this thread. Thought I'd pass along my experience.

I've dealt with Gear Orphanage buying and selling for myself and for the studio I work for. Every time we've done business I've been very happy. If you're local in Los Angeles, a great place to do business. Very friendly, very honest, and will consign older items that are difficult to price. Has a nice assortment of used gear that comes in and out of there, I just like it. It's another great site to have in the repertoire.

My two cents.
Old 4th August 2009
I've done a ton of business w/ jason - buying and selling.

he's always been great with me.

I bought a 20+ yr old SDD3000 from him, and it turned out one of the program buttons was toast - I had a work around so I let it slide.

In conversation with him six months later I mentioned it to him.

He said he'd wish he'd known earlier and asked for the unit back so he could have it repaired - and then he did so at no cost to me.
Old 5th August 2009
I have known Jason for a very long time. I have bought from him only a couple times, a phase 90 and a pair of Dynaudio monitors, deals about 10 years apart. We played in different bands in Hollywood in the late 90's and travelled in the same circles and got to become friends after recognizing each other in a - hey you are the gut in the recycler (pre CL!!) with the Phase 90-moment. I would be suprised if he knowingly passed on a broken piece of gear. Although we have been a few years out of touch he struck me always as a very conscientious person. Where he might get into trouble is that a large part of his business involves consigning gear for clients who are too busy/famus/lazy etc to sell it themselves. A lot of this gear remains in the clients possession until its sold so it wouldn't suprise me that occasionally a client may renege on him after hey struck a deal on something because that client saw it sell for more somewhere else. Similarly its not unimaginable that a client of his might knowingly or not pass him a piece with an issue that he didn't discover before delivering. I'd be pretty disappointed if I found out a piece of broken gear was not offered to be returned or repaired, that just goes with the used gear territory. At one time or another I have bought gear with issues from just about every second hand retailer in LA, and in all cases in my experience Ive been made happy. Sounds like in most of the cases with gearorphanage Jason has done the same. Bottom line Jason is a good guy, takes his business seriously. If you have any concerns about returns, warranty, etc, ask him, and depending on his response and your expectations do business with him or don't.
Old 5th August 2009
I bought a PTHD PCI card from him on Ebay a couple months ago. Good price and no probs at all.
Old 5th August 2009
Lives for gear

I got an orban eq about a year and a half ago. Smooth transaction with fast shipping

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search