The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rate This Gear
View Poll Results: How's my idea?
Don't know
1 Votes - 6.67%
Don't care
1 Votes - 6.67%
Right on!
5 Votes - 33.33%
Waste of time
8 Votes - 53.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21st August 2007
Gear Head

Rate This Gear

Hello,
Was wonderring if there any forum or site which enables you to rate gear (like a poll). So you can clearly see the prefences (price, quality, reliability, flexibility, value for money etc').
I think it's a good and very useful idea which may solve alot of repeated questions over this fine forum.
Each device or unit will have its own page, on the above you'll see the poll results or voting, and below you can write or read what every person thinks.

Who's with me?
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

No offense, but anything you get will just be opinion anyway. I can see everything getting a 50% rating, some people will like it, some won't. Someone will say that API sucks because it doesn't have tubes, etc.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Sweetwater and Musician's Friend both let you read reviews from other readers. I agree that a hardcore ranking system would be irrelevant. It would quickly get contaminated by the net-nerds.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

In addition to almost every internet dealer out there, I'm pretty sure the folks at Studio Auditions have something like that... War?
Old 22nd August 2007
Jai guru deva om

Hi Justin.

Yes, at Bringing Recording Studios and Audio Engineers Together at ***************.com we have a review section. In that review section you can post a "user review" of your own. If you own a piece of gear and love it, hate it, or are indifferent about it, you can tell the world. Unless somebody uses the review to outright bash and be ugly (hasn't happened yet) we do NOT edit those reviews and they are as good as you make them. You can add pics and any info you like, and it's all linked back to your Studio Auditions identity (which can link to your studio page you've posted, your forum posts etc) which helps to answer the question we all ask ourselves of "hmmmmm.....who is this guy posting this stuff?".

Also, underneath ANY user review ANY logged in user can post comments to support or refute the reviews claims. Sort of an ongoing commentary for the whole community.

The idea behind the site is that anybody who says anything can easily be sorted out. If a guy keeps raving about a _____ microphone, then you follow his user profile to see his studio (or lack of) and he owns 2 mics...then you can see the context from which he / she is posting opinions.

The site is there to be used by every studio in the world, and doesn't cost you guys anything. It is set to be a very valuable resource, and once your studio is added it is searchable via the database by location...and can be further broken down by services offered. A great way for potential clients to find you!

So yes, the resource is there for those who are taking the time to express themselves in user reviews.

I am cranking up compressor / limiter comparisons on the site and am in the middle of figuring out what is FAIR and reasonable there with some local studio owners (I've never claimed to be as smart as anybody doing this stuff daily for a living, their opinions mean a lot!). We won't be limited to microphone comparisons once I get cranked up with compressors, EQ's etc. We already have the largest microphone comparison site in the world with pics to show the position of the mic as well. As many of you know, I am very passionate about getting as much info out there as possible and this is another route to do this.

War

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search