The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bottom Snare Mic: Dynamic or Condenser Dynamic Microphones
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Bottom Snare Mic: Dynamic or Condenser

I've been using an SM-81 for my bottom snare mic.

What are you guys using?
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Maniac

Was using an Oktava MC-012, but now I'm using an SM57. I found the condenser method was picking up too much of the stuff I didn't want in there.

WATYF
Old 21st August 2007
I'm using a Sennheiser 441 and love it on bottom snare. Works really well on guitar cabs too.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

441 sure does the trick. It's my default when at a studio that has one.... but really. I'm happy with just about anything other than a 57 or 451. The oktava mc012 works well, as does an akg 460. The rode nt-5 or nt3 works as well. I would call it one if the LEAST critical choices on any given session.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Maniac

I;ve been using a 421 mk2 lately.. I was never a big fan of the 441 underneath dunno why just didn't work for me. I have used an nt-5 but felt it picked up a little too much of everything else.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by packagebear View Post
I;ve been using a 421 mk2 lately.. I was never a big fan of the 441 underneath dunno why just didn't work for me. I have used an nt-5 but felt it picked up a little too much of everything else.
I agree completely. I am fine with a 57 on the bottom. Then when I EQ, I just give the bottom a little mid high boost and on the top I boost the fundamental. Flip the phase, and you've got an (at least) decent sounding snare.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Addict

I use a real old 58 on the bottom. Theres only been one time i did not prefer it to the top mic.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

found a good use for a tlm103 and put it underneath.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear
ATM450
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Nut

Most of the time I use a 184. The brightness of the mic really brings out the snap of the snare drum.
Old 21st August 2007
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

MD421 or a 57. Occasionally a GT44.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestarbass View Post
I use a real old 58 on the bottom. Theres only been one time i did not prefer it to the top mic.
Are you serious? I always blend the bottom mic in at like -15 db relative to the top. In no way is it useable on its own...
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

I have wondered about this myself.

Would an SM7b be a good choice on bottom snare?

Also, if limited on good pre's, could the bottom mic be used with a lesser preamp?
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

I'll often use a 441 or a AKG 414 in hyper cardiod works well. If neither are available a good 'ol sm57 works fine.

ERic
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Addict

I usually use a CAD M179, CAD E-70, or a Shure SM57. If you use a condenser, make sure it has a pad.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

SM7 would indeed be great. And any clean pre will work fine, you don't have to have a Daking or anything. I mean, I always put up a bottom snare mic, it's important, but it's just bottom snare, you know? Getting too fancy with it is like puting lipstick on a pig.

Although now that I think about it, a Daking would probably sound pretty cool on bottom snare...
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Head

Trusty ole SM57 does the Job.
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Maniac

Sennheiser e609 on bottom snare always works for me...
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

well what mics do you have in the locker?
what mic pres are you using..dynamics love a nice pre..

that said..i've used the audix d2 to great effect..i often prefer it to the top snare mic..
it seems to suck the deep chest thump out of any snare..

and that was with the (kind of) boring pres on my dda..
when i finally got those pm-1000s working, the drums sounded even....umm..fatter?

stupid adjectives..
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Nut

What about the Beta 57, I believe it has a tighter pattern than the 57. I might try this on my next project. I'll let ya'll know.
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Are you serious? I always blend the bottom mic in at like -15 db relative to the top. In no way is it useable on its own...
What works for one doesnt always work for others. Ive always gotten compliments on my snare sounds. Your right though, I could never get away with this on its own. Im not running it 15db quiter than the top though, more like 60/40 top to bottom. I havent really found a top side mic I LOVE yet though so that may be part of the problem.
Old 22nd August 2007
I never mic the bottom, but I do mic the shell, I use an earthworks SR77
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
I've never thought about doing that. I'm gonna try it sometime!
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
I have never understood why you mic the bottom of a snare. One time I compressed th **** out of the bottom mic and applied reverb to a separate bus, but the bottom mic was barely in the mix and I feel that the crack in the OH's were probably sufficient enough already.

Can anyone enlighten me on when a bottom Snare Mic might be appropriate?
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeMcKibben View Post
What about the Beta 57, I believe it has a tighter pattern than the 57. I might try this on my next project. I'll let ya'll know.
I've used a beta 58 (same mic) and it sounded ok.

The purpose of the bottom snare mic IMO is to pick up some of the "snare" sound, in order to make the snare sound a little more realistic, and also to add some brightness to the close-miked snare sound.
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Nut

414 all the way.,.,.
Old 22nd August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by willerichey View Post

It's there primarily to pick up the snare buzz.
Sometimes (not ALL the time), micing just the top head results in a snare drum tone, but not enough buzz. It can even end up sounding like a crackier tom and hardly snare-like at all.
Most engineers add just a touch of bottom mic to introduce more snare rattle.
The bottom mic can sometimes sound more full too, especially if the drummer is pounding the snare with loud rimshots.
Old 22nd August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by willerichey View Post
I have never understood why you mic the bottom of a snare. One time I compressed th **** out of the bottom mic and applied reverb to a separate bus, but the bottom mic was barely in the mix and I feel that the crack in the OH's were probably sufficient enough already.

one reason would be if you were using alot of room mic in your mix and wanted to put back some snare. Usually if you mic the snare the way that they tell you to in the audio rags, and point the top mic down on an angle towards and in an inch you get alot of the sound of the top head and NOT alot of snares, so using an under the snare mic would help with that. Another would be you want to get some more top and snares no matter what technique you miced the drum with. For me I hate that under the snare sound,
I get a much more usable sound by micing the shell and by using a different approach towards micing the top
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

AT4041's are great under a snare. They are bright and voiced perfectly for it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search