The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bottom Snare Mic: Dynamic or Condenser Dynamic Microphones
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Maniac

sm7 on the bottom with presence boosted, I use sm7 on top as well, set flat. Gives me a great snare sound.
Old 23rd August 2007
so what kind of approach is 'micing the shell' good for....as in if you did mic the shell in lieu of the bottom, would you still do teh top mic per the standard angled near teh rim method that most people use? or would you mic the top differently to complement the shell sound?

Id try this myself but im not in a studio at the moment.
Old 23rd August 2007
Here for the gear

I rarely like the sound of a 57 on the bottom of the snare, I used to put it up "just in case", same thing with the hi-hat mic, but recently I tried a Fet47 under the snare pointed at the kick beater, 6 inches below the snare or so, and it picks up a ton of kick and snare. It sounds nice as long as it's in phase, doesn't quite address the same purpose as the under snare mic, but I find it's a nice way to add some extra attack to the kick and snare.

Also, nice idea with the sr77, I have an sr69 that I will check out for that.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Audix SCX-1. Mmmmm. Tastes like chicken.
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Maniac

KM-84. awesome.
Old 23rd August 2007
+1 for KM84 thumbsup
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protools Guy View Post
I've been using an SM-81 for my bottom snare mic.

What are you guys using?
i use a crown PZM30 on the floor in between the kick and snare. I like having the beater in there too.
sometimes if I am micing the beater separately (usually with a 441) i will use a Sennheiser e609 silver on the bottom snare. Its nice and small for when I'm trying to stuff the 441 in there on the beater.
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfreq33 View Post
Getting too fancy with it is like puting lipstick on a pig.
True dat. I use an Audix i5 on my pig.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

for snare i use : neumann kms-105, sennheiser 905, shure sm57
sometimes the 105 is top, sometimes bottom ...
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the replies chrisso and Musiclab

I recently just tracked drums in my new room as a test run. and i can actually hear the snare rattle coming from the overheads (and the squeaky bass drum pedal, but thats why my newest studio addition is a can of WD40).

Don't know if its the room, the mics, or my mic placement, btu i am very pleased with the results.

Buddy of mine used a Sennheiser MD 431 II through an API pre on top of the snare an man did it sound good.

I have been contemplating getting a beta 57 for the top of the snare in hopes of recreating similar results.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

I have been meaning to mic the bottom of the snare for some time now.

Well. That's not true.

Someday I'll mic it up.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Anyone ever tried a Beyer M201 for snare bottom?

Current favourite is the CAD M179, but I know I gotta check out the beyer someday too.
Old 23rd August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockManDan View Post
so what kind of approach is 'micing the shell' good for....as in if you did mic the shell in lieu of the bottom, would you still do teh top mic per the standard angled near teh rim method that most people use? or would you mic the top differently to complement the shell sound?

Id try this myself but im not in a studio at the moment.
Here's what I do, I take an AKG 460 and place it as if I'm micing the shell but I raise the mic so it's poking over the top, not point down on the head as it's usually back about an inch from the rim. Then the earthworks is pointed at the shell lower on the drum. Usually I use Daking 52270b's with no eq or compression on the way in
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for Jesus

Yea i like to mic the shell to, the EW sounds cool, i want to try that

My go to top and bottom snare mic is just a 57, works fine, if i want a different sound we switch the snare or tune it

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search