The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tell me what isn't a good front of kick (FOK) mic? Dynamic Microphones
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear
Tell me what isn't a good front of kick (FOK) mic?

I'm beginning to think that "it's a great FOK mic" is analogous to saying "she's got a great personality."

I have yet to hear any LD condenser that's not very good FOK. An old woofer can work. You can even use a 57 with enough low end gain and mid scoop. I wouldn't be surprised if someone has success with a piezo buzzer.

So stop telling me that your mic is great FOK, already!
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

what?
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

I once tried an Audix D2 as a front-of-kick mic -- actually it was right on the border between front-of-kick and inside-kick, but the result was: it SUCKED. Never again.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

I always thought of a FOK mic as "Front of Kit". I call kick mics "in kick" and "out kick".

So for me, if it's great LD - it will be great for FOK

Although it depends what you do with the FOK - sometimes I like ribbons

M. Wagener mentioned he likes his laptop mic as FOK sometimes. I'd do it but I can't justify the price of a laptop just for it's micheh

That's right...I really don't have a point, but I wanted to keep it on topicheh
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Nut

I've tried a couple of mics that I thought sounded too bright -- they picked up too much cymbal nastiness that didn't blend well at mixdown. Of course, I had the mic about 2 feet off the kick. That might have been part of the problem.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcollinge View Post
I've tried a couple of mics that I thought sounded too bright -- they picked up too much cymbal nastiness that didn't blend well at mixdown. Of course, I had the mic about 2 feet off the kick. That might have been part of the problem.
This is why I think ribbons work really well as FOK because it's like they already have a LPF applied, so all the cymbal sheen gets attenuated and all the meat of the kit prevails.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search