The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Groove Tubes GT44 - any good? Condenser Microphones
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Maniac

Groove Tubes GT44 - any good?

Hi everybody!
I got a chance for an OK deal on a new GT44 mic. I'm in the market for a SDC for my acoustic guitars - mainly my beloved Martin D28 Marquis. Right now I use a 451EB, which I like a lot, when the guitar is not featured that much and sit back in the mix. It would probably do better with a tube or a Neveish pre, but for now, a thing like that doesn't fit in my budget. You can probably imagine that a 451 going into an API312 is a bit on the bright/harsh side.
So - any experience on the GT44? Mainly for use on acoustic guitars, but other opinions are more than welcome. I will probably use it for banjo, mandolin, dobro and the occasional vocal, too, but guitar will be the number one application.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Guru

I have got nothing but love for the GT44s , i have a few of them and can be used on a lot of instruments, my favorite is electric guitar.
And yes they are great for acoustic guitars.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

I have a pair of GT44s thay I like quite a bit on acoustic guitar (D-35), but I would not pair them with a bright pre as it can get a bit zippy. When I paired mine with a Focusrite Red 8, it was almost painful. I had better luck with the Mackie d8b pres believe it or not. I am currently using them as room mics on the latest project, with good results. With the right preamp, I could see them on a vocal.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
I have a pair of GT44s thay I like quite a bit on acoustic guitar (D-35), but I would not pair them with a bright pre as it can get a bit zippy. When I paired mine with a Focusrite Red 8, it was almost painful. I had better luck with the Mackie d8b pres believe it or not. I am currently using them as room mics on the latest project, with good results. With the right preamp, I could see them on a vocal.

I will agree that a bright preamp with the GTs is not such a smart idea.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Maniac

Thanks for your replies - I would love to know how they compare with the Mojave MA-100, though, but since this one has only been available for a few months, there might not be anyone who is able to compare the two...
I would not consider the API a bright preamp, but it is fast and quite sensitive to transients.
Would you consider the GT44 as bright as the 451 (or CK-1), or is it more mellow? Given the tone of my D28, I'm looking for something to capture all the transients and overtones of the guitar, instead of emphasizing or exaggerate them.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringMike View Post
Thanks for your replies - I would love to know how they compare with the Mojave MA-100, though, but since this one has only been available for a few months, there might not be anyone who is able to compare the two...
I would not consider the API a bright preamp, but it is fast and quite sensitive to transients.
Would you consider the GT44 as bright as the 451 (or CK-1), or is it more mellow? Given the tone of my D28, I'm looking for something to capture all the transients and overtones of the guitar, instead of emphasizing or exaggerate them.
cannot asnwer your mic vs mic question but a GT44 + API is fine.
Old 10th July 2012
Here for the gear

I wonder if someone here can give me a suggestion what to choose between Mojave MA-100 or Sterling ST44 or AKG C414 XLS for drums overhead?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search