The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Building my first "real" studio Modular Synthesizers
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Building my first "real" studio

Howdy!

Currently I'm preparing for building my first "real" studio and take my "home recording studio" project to the next level. I will buy myself a place somewhere and make it into a professional recording studio. Before I start looking for a place to buy I need to educate myself about studio contruction, how you know you've found a great core contruction etc. I also want to learn about investing in the music business. That's why I need some book recommendations from you guys! Thanks a lot!!
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Addict

http://www.johnlsayers.com/

Lots of good info. The big things to remember are a floating floor, and decoupling the different spaces via dead air space between walls.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear
I have put some book recommendations at the bottom under point five -

The truth is that neither I (and I have built several studios) nor anybody else can tell you how to build your studio. For example, the question of the floating floor - if you live in the city or near a highway, then yes. But, as an example, our studio is half a mile from the nearest road and that raod sees perhaps ten cars a day. The only outside noise we have to protect against is bird song, so we just have a dampened floor.

Then come budget constraints, locally available building material, the kind of work you wish to do, space available etc.

So here are some pointers -

1. All studios are different, so many 'rules' that self-styled experts lay down have to fly out of the window in some cases.

2. For that reason, no professional designer will give you black and white advice on a forum. Every studio build is a suck-it-and-see situation.

3. There are hundreds (possibly thousands) of self-styled 'experts' giving totally bogus advice on line and elsewhere.

4. There are no really good forums for this stuff.

5. You need to buy two books

Home Recording Studio: Build it like the Pros. by Rod Gervais. This brilliant little book costs just $24 and is a straight-forward account of how to build a professional studio within a limited budget. It it all hands-on and very US based (matterials, brands, building codes and laws etc.) It is also very well written!

Recording Studio Design. by Phillip Newell. This is a massive 600-page work thast goes into the physics and the theory of studio design and is a must-read for anyone spending serious money on building a studio. It goes into the theory of monitor design and covers such subjects as building mobiles and OB trucks in some detail. It costs about $70 and is worth every penny!

I wish you every success in your venture (God knows, you will need it!!!) and feel free to contact me. When I am not running a recording studio, I am a media and entertainment economist.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Head

Old 21st August 2007
Search the TAG's for "studio build"

In fact, click on that link above.

Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks guys for your help!

What's the best 3D recording studio space modelling software? I need to start forming a "real" picture of the final result as soon as possible.

If you have any pictures of creative recording studio solutions I would be glad to have a look at them.

BTW. Jules, I bet everything I need is under the tag you posted, great!! thumbsup
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre View Post
I

Home Recording Studio: Build it like the Pros. by Rod Gervais. This brilliant little book costs just $24 and is a straight-forward account of how to build a professional studio within a limited budget. It it all hands-on and very US based (matterials, brands, building codes and laws etc.) It is also very well written!

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
Amazon.com: Home Recording Studio: Build It like the Pros: Books: Rod Gervais
Old 21st August 2007
3d modeling software for studio visualization

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowStorm View Post
Thanks guys for your help!

What's the best 3D recording studio space modelling software? I need to start forming a "real" picture of the final result as soon as possible.

If you have any pictures of creative recording studio solutions I would be glad to have a look at them.
I used blender (blender.org - Home) which also happens to be free/open source software. It works on Linux, MacOS and even Windows.

Here's my result: Wes Lachot Design

Expect to break ground soon, operational some time in 2009.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Hi again, I just want to say thanks again for sharing these awesome recommendations! I am currently setting up my own SharePoint Content Management platform to be able to more efficiently use all the information tied to this project. It's quite a lot of work and I don't have the time, but it'll be powerful in the end, so it'll be worth it...

I saw some great studio construction maps in this thread:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-mu...ll-studio.html

I would love to be able to design the studio in this way... Do you know what 3D modeling software Pilchner Schoustal International are using?

Big plans, little time, now I have to get some rest. Take care!
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for Jesus

Sounds like fun !!

remember to get help hanging the drywall, and budget 3 times as much $$$ as you think you need

and the wiring is just as important as the acoustics

Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep View Post
remember to get help hanging the drywall, and budget 3 times as much $$$ as you think you need

and the wiring is just as important as the acoustics

What could you possibly know about building a studio?......Oh yeah...never mind....heh
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search