The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone use the FMR RNC and hate it? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Anyone use the FMR RNC and hate it?

The overall opinion on the RNC is that it's a colorless piece that does what it says: compress audio. I'm not looking for a "mojo" comp, just something that won't poo all over stuff I have tracked should I need a touch of compression. Since I haven't heard many people dump on it I'm wondering has anyone found that it degraded the sound at all? I will probably end up giving it a try. Just looking for a bit of pre-purchase insight.
Old 21st August 2007
MGA
Gear Addict

Hi Michael,

I had 3 of these at one stage sold 2 off and will probably sell my last one. Not that they are a bad compressor but I have others that get used more regularly and the RNC's were getting switched on less and less. Colourless? More or less. Boring perhaps unless they are in super nice mode and I like colour but for the money there's not much else out there that competes with it.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Maniac

they're hipper then a 3630 but i don't like the rnc all that much. lots of grab and not that transparent, i thought it'd be more invisible from the billing.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Nut

Transparent(ish) compression, yes, fine if you absolutely cannot afford to spend (a lot) more, but boring and slightly plastic tone - IMHO of course - but be warned I had a similar complaint with the CraneSong Trakker; so maybe I'm just being way too anal. Running a signal through any machine is going to alter the sound, if only slightly. And this is coming from more of a "mojo" guy. I figure if I can't hear a piece of gear adding something I like, why would I spend money on it? Doing nothing is free and compression isn't mandatory. There's also plenty of bland characterless plugins. I sold my RNC quick, but I didn't dislike it enough not to recommend it. For you (based on your post), it might be the right thing.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

I've never tried one, but lack of balanced i/o, and stated noise figures, mean I probably never will. Plus I hate external power supplies. If it had a classic sound to die for, I might consider it, but this is not what i've been lead to believe.

Buying anything on price alone is crazy. Good gear remains good gear, long after the price has been forgotten. Compromised gear remains compromised gear, long after the price has been forgotten.

IMO, software compression is getting so good, a hardware compressor needs to add some serious mojo to be worth bothering with.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

I bought 2 in a 'func rack mount' a couple of weeks ago.

I put one them on a bus out from C4 into my SU1J summing mixer.
It almost does not add anything to the sound, just tames the levels.

The other one is on the output from a sub mixer with external synths.
Where it is rather useful having a transparent comp.

The line between plugs and RNC is kind of thin, IMO.

I dont feel like I was hit by the "wow great with pro audio gear" feeling
when I tried them both out.

But I will probably keep them for fun....

Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

I didn't really get what the hype was all about. Sold it.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Maniac

got one here, and that´s definitily enough....it´s getting used every now and then if i need a simple ducking thing and if i ran out of any other options, which happens rarely...

yeah it´s cheap....that´s it....

i think it´s a great compressor for starters if they want to learn about compression and don´t have the pocket full of money....period....
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

I have one out in my "B" studio that I use to track through. People often compliment on the vocal sound we get out here (Rode NT-2, RNP, RNC). That's it, nothing else. I usually add a universal audio LA-2A plug-in, or the new URS Classic Console strip for the mix, and I am done. I love it for doing demo's.

I have a lot of high end stuff in studio "A", so it usually the Peluso 2247LE, or Nueman U87 into the LTD-1, or SCA N72, into the API 5500, into the Tube Tech CL-1B, or Distressor, or both up there, and that of course is a pretty marked improvement.

However, I think the RNC is a really great generic compressor. I am actually going to put 4 of them, and 4 RNLA's up in "A" because I have a few guys that want to compress EVERYTHING when they track, and these will be aimed at giving them a compressor in every track.

Hope this helps...
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

I found I could get them to sound like my Allison Research Gain Brains on drum tracks, which is far more than any of the other cheap units will do. I still never use it though; I use the Gain Brains. I find it very touchy to set up, and I can't get 'super nice' to release in a transparent manner 90% of the time. Gets used when I run out of other comps in a busy mix. In fairness, it's by far the cheapest and newest comp I own, so it performs well in it's class.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear
I like them. I own 2 and use them all the time. They sound transparent and no they won't poo all over your audio. I've used them on the mix bus in super nice mode and it worked great. If it sounded boring to begin with then it will probably sound boring coming out of this unit.....just a little more compressed. It wasn't designed to be a character comp. I think it's better than alot of software comps out there.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

When I got my first RNC, I ran it through a Neutrik test station and with 6 dB of compression, the specs were beyond ridiculously conservative. That was my first encounter with the RNC and I even called Mark McQuilken to find out if I was somehow testing it wrong because of the minimal readings I was getting. He assured me that flat out to over 100KHz response was normal, as was the under -100DB noise floor, and the ridiculously low distortion. We have about 15 FMR products scattered around three rooms, and they're used constantly.

No, the RNC doesn't have a lot of "color", but it won't **** up your sound.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mltamisin View Post
....If it sounded boring to begin with then it will probably sound boring coming out of this unit.....

heh heh

Yes, the unbalanced cord thing is pesky, but it's not really a problem. I suppose that's part of the reason mine's not hooked up right now, but it's a nice clean unit and it does its job well. Definitely not in the category of "mistake purchase."

Cheers.

Old 21st August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxpot View Post

i think it´s a great compressor for starters if they want to learn about compression and don´t have the pocket full of money....period....
I can attest to that...for me it is worth its price in learning...theres something about having a piece of hardware that makes it easier for me to learn than a plug...plus it sounds pretty good...YMMV
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

I don't understand some of the comments about the RNC. When I measured it at various settings, what went in came out exactly the same way, just lower in level. It didn't make the signal "fatter" or "thinner" or "warmer" or "colder"; it just compressed the signal. To me, that's what a compressor is supposed to do.

Yes, all these different toys are like a big box of crayons; just think of this one crayon's color as "clear".
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

The RNC is one of the best bargains in pro audio. I have one. I never track through it but it ends up being part of every record I make. In mixes I use it for parallel compression in Super Nice mode all the time. When I am mixing, the compressors I use are two distressors, A Manley Vari-Mu and an RNC. I would hate to give up any of them.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

I agree with not using it for tracking. It always did something to the sound which made it not as pleasing and difficult to fit in a mix. For mixing, it had some uses. In the end I sold mine.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

i've got one. i can't say i hate it......but i've never been completely in love with it. i've always found "supernice" to be too aggressive for my tastes and like the "regular nice" a lot better. i've never been bothered by the unbalanced connections.

i don't track with it and i do use it in mixing on occasion. but for the most part it stays off. one of these days i'll probably sell it. i'll use it on vocals, backing vocals, occasional acoustic guitar, mandolin and that sort of thing.

it's a useful enough tool....but i don't find myself reaching for it all that much.

my symetrix 425 and cl150, though.......i always reach for those. the 425 is magic on acoustic guitar and the 150 is great on snare and electric guitar. both were very cheap.

cheers,
wade
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

I've got 3 and a LA and love them. They sit, heads held high with the likes of various TubeTech, Dakin, Drawmer etc...etc...

Brilliant wee boxes
Old 21st August 2007
The RNC is a wonderful tool, regardless of its price. In regular mode, it is the best "ducking" compressor I have ever used. I use it regularly to duck the kick drum out of the snare mic (send the kick into the sidechain, snare through the audio circuit, fast attack and release). It literally removes the kick from the snare track. I've also used it the other way around, pulling snare out of an outside kick mic.

It's also useful in taming the snare on a pair of overheads with a hard hitter. Fast attack and release, threshold and ratio set so that it reduces 3-5 dB only on snare hits. It's magical.

I also use it in super nice mode to lightly compress stereo backing vocals and group vocals. It does a wonderful job of effortlessly and gently leveling things out without any artifacts. I also use it in super nice mode on acoustic guitars in dense rock mixes. The key to super nice mode is to keep reduction below 6 dB. I find that it starts to sound like it's trying too hard when compressing any more than that.

i have one and it's all i need. I would actually prefer if it was built into a 1u chassis with an internal psu.

mike
Old 21st August 2007
RNC & D&R Dayner

I like the D&R Dayner & the RNC's on busses. Gives me the chance to use compressors on channels too.

Muziekschuur
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

I honestly can't stand these things. I feel like I twiddle endlessly with it's twitchy knobs and get no where.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

I've got one and I use it lots.

As Harvey said, it's not about being a mojo piece but helping to control levels and that's why I use it.

Sure it ain't a 1176 but neither is a Distressor. Nor is it an LA2A but then neither is a CL1B.

In fact I LIKE the fact that I don't really hear it and that it's not coloring everything.

Take care,

R.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

I like it on clean and just breaking up electric guitars. Miced and or DIed. Mostly when recording picking parts. Evening out the picking volume in a good way.

It can give the sound of a good compressor pedal. Vintage MXR Dynacomp etc. I have the pedals and sometimes the RNC works better for the specific job.

Peace Todd
Old 21st August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Gerst View Post
I don't understand some of the comments about the RNC. When I measured it at various settings, what went in came out exactly the same way, just lower in level. It didn't make the signal "fatter" or "thinner" or "warmer" or "colder"; it just compressed the signal. To me, that's what a compressor is supposed to do.

Yes, all these different toys are like a big box of crayons; just think of this one crayon's color as "clear".
I think many folks don't like it because it is not "cool" anymore.... I could be wrong.

I do know that when someone with Harvey's resume shows up and says "We have about 15 FMR products scattered around three rooms, and they're used constantly" that leads me to believe there is either some anti-hype going on with the folks who don't like it (for whatever reason) or maybe they didn't try it out enough?

I just can't imagine that a unit that "sucks" would get "used constantly" at Harvey's place.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiburger View Post
IMO, software compression is getting so good, a hardware compressor needs to add some serious mojo to be worth bothering with.
please do tell...
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new View Post
I think many folks don't like it because it is not "cool" anymore.... I could be wrong.

I do know that when someone with Harvey's resume shows up and says "We have about 15 FMR products scattered around three rooms, and they're used constantly" that leads me to believe there is either some anti-hype going on with the folks who don't like it (for whatever reason) or maybe they didn't try it out enough?

I just can't imagine that a unit that "sucks" would get "used constantly" at Harvey's place.
Well, Steve Albini has four of them and his comments are here:

Electrical Audio - Equipment -
Old 21st August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Gerst View Post
Well, Steve Albini has four of them and his comments are here:

Electrical Audio - Equipment -

There you have it then, thanks Harvery. Oh and of course people around here think Steve sucks so what do any of us know right?

Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

it's hard to really knock it for how cheap it is, but in the year I had one, I almost always took it out of the chain. Always seemed to thin things out a little in a way I didn't like. For the super-slight, clean compression I'd use it for, I found I could replace it with plugins I already had, which were equally unexciting but already had them and could put as many of them as I needed/wanted (very few) in a session. I paid less for my Symetrix than I did my RNC, and though it's a different sort of beast, I can get it to do things plugins never should, as well as covering more transparent duties. I'd pony up for two 501s over an RNC in the budget category.
Old 21st August 2007
I only have one RNC and one ART PRO VLA. I think the PRO VLA sounds better all around, but I really liked the RNC for electric guitar and as an alternate vocal sound. Really haven't been able to get it to sound good on drums yet.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search