The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone use the FMR RNC and hate it? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

when i first got it i was ready to sell it. but now after when i actually learned how to play with it... it's actually getting better and better...
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

I think I'm by myself on this one. I like the RNC, but only for certain apps. I own a pair, and have extensive time on them, but I find that they suck some of the tone out of what I put into them. This is most apparent to me on thick guitar tracks, esspecially compared to other comps. That said, I use it often on string parts for R&B and Rap that I want tamed but easy to get out of the way of the rest of the mix.

At less than $200 for a stereo unit there's not much excuse not to give it a shot for yourself over a period of time you are comfortable with.

Grain of salt. Iced patron. Lime wedge.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-cue View Post
....but I find that they suck some of the tone out of what I put into them. This is most apparent to me on thick guitar tracks, esspecially compared to other comps.
That's what Ive been worried about. I've heard it dulls the top end, kills the low end, etc, etc, etc... I know the thing isn't a $200 GML (although I guess that what I was hoping for) I just wanted a few comps during mixdown that do subtle compression after writing fader automation for too long. I think I'm gonna give the thing a shot.

Thanks for the posts everyone.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC View Post
I've heard it dulls the top end, kills the low end, etc, etc, etc...
Well, it doesn't

Harvey has posted his findings and I, for one, 100% agree with them

it's a superb product - at any price
Old 22nd August 2007
I loev my rnc on vocals overheads snare. Anything that is not bassy. For bassy stuff I like RNLA
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Guru

imho the primary difference between the rnc and plugin compressors is that the rnc actually behaves like a compressor.

try this experiment: slap the rnc across a vocal, 6ms attack, 300ms release, 1.5:1, and dig in with the threshold until the softest parts are barely activating the first light on the GR meter; the louder parts will obviously make it light up more. now slowly increase the ratio, notice how the comp does what you'd expect: it digs in harder and harder, the GR lights up more and more, and the vocal gets more and more leveled, especially in the louder parts. you will also find that 8-10db of GR is probably enough to tame your vocal track.

when i do this same thing with a plugin comp, i always have the same experience. first, the compressor does not continually hit harder as i increase the ratio, it hits harder for a little then tops out, usually around 4:1 is where the sound stops changing. second, 8-10db of GR with a plug is nowhere near as controlled and levelled as it is with the rnc. in fact, no plugin comp i've ever used will tame a dynamic vocal satisfactorily, they just can't handle the transients properly.

i don't own any rnc's, but i wouldn't hesitate to use one if that's what i had, and i would certainly reach for it before anything in the daw. did i mention you can slap a cheapass eq in the sidechain and have yourself a damn fine de-esser?

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Addict

Has anyone else noticed that the RNC behaves a little weird compared to other outboard compressors? My feeling is that it operates like a parallel compressor, where it lets some of the dry signal through even when you have it inserted on a channel, and therefore, ALL of the audio should be affected by the sound of the compressor. The reason I believe this is because I have use to use a lot more gain reduction and higher ratios on the RNC than I would have to use on other outboard compressors in order to achieve the same sounding amount of compression. Maybe this is what some people would call being "transparent." Also, when I have signal running through the RNC and I turn the makeup gain knob all the way to the left, I still hear a little signal come through, when it should theoretically be silent.

All suggestions?

Thanks,
Rappy
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Addict

Funny how certain items pass in and out of vogue...When I bought the RNC it was being hailed as being an incredible bang for the buck (it is IMHO). I bought one, eventually paired w/the RNP and happily use the combo on tons of stuff and I'm happy w/the sound. That being said I don't use much compression at all while tracking, maybe 2-3 db in supernice mode, so different strokes I guess...
Old 22nd August 2007

I have two RNC's, one was a freebie that came with a used rackmounted RNP. So i use one to track through, and the other gets used in mixing or tracking from time to time. I think it's a great box. nobody likes wall warts, but once everything is tucked away and tied down, what's the difference?

I like the unit a lot, whatever the current hype or anti-hype may be towards it.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rappy View Post
When I have signal running through the RNC and I turn the makeup gain knob all the way to the left, I still hear a little signal come through, when it should theoretically be silent.

All suggestions?

Thanks,
Rappy
Uh, ever notice the labeling on the RNC makeup gain knob? It goes from -15dB to +15dB. Yes, it's kinda a volume control, but it doesn't go all the way off. If you turn something down 15 dB, how does that equal "it should theoretically be silent"?

Oh, and you're using higher ratios and more compression because the RNC IS TRANSPARENT. You won't hear it working till you start really abusing it. The markings on the RNC are accurate; I can't say the same thing for many other compressors.
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Addict

worst case scenario: you buy an RNC, you hate it, you sell it like hotcakes on a saturday morning for not too bad a deal; the loss you take is likely less than it would cost you to rent one to try out ....
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Gerst View Post
Uh, ever notice the labeling on the RNC makeup gain knob? It goes from -15dB to +15dB. Yes, it's kinda a volume control, but it doesn't go all the way off. If you turn something down 15 dB, how does that equal "it should theoretically be silent"?

Oh, and you're using higher ratios and more compression because the RNC IS TRANSPARENT. You won't hear it working till you start really abusing it. The markings on the RNC are accurate; I can't say the same thing for many other compressors.
Okay, thanks. I didn't realize that the makeup gain knob goes from -15dB to +15dB. Weird. A lot of compressors go to - infinity. Not that I would have to cut more than 15 dB with a compressor, anyway. My RNC is at the bottom of my rack so I can't see the markings on the knobs too closely.

Thanks,
Rappy
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Maniac

I had two for a while and they never once put a smile on my face so I sold them.
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Maniac

My brother tracks vocals with his RNC, and he is getting a way better sound than not tracking with a compressor. It seems to do a decent job of taming levels, etc.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear
I think that it's great for the price, but that it's impossible to buy a good compressor for that price.

I bought and sold mine. Like other people, I never found a use for it.

I could hear it f***ing up the high end of my nice Millennia pre signals when inserted between the pre and the recorder.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confusionator View Post
it's impossible to buy a good compressor for that price.
nonsense

the only thing that is obvious is that there is a lot of overpriced gear out there
Old 24th August 2007
I have one RNC which I currently use on my main drum mic (running through an RNP) in SuperNice mode. I have a L/R/C setup in my room with a mic pointed at the guitar amp on the right and one pointed at the bass amp on the left, then one pointed at the drums in the center. The L/R mics give me some ambient feel, and the signal from the drum mic gives me good omph, especially when compressed a bit by the RNC. I want another to use on mixes, or maybe I'll get an RNLA and use that on drums and the RNC on mixes. I feel no desire at this point to build or buy a different compressor because the RNC does an excellent job. How they can make something that cool for so cheap is beyond me, I only hope to aspire to such engineering greatness. My only wish is that FMR make a Really Nice Equalizer.

Some of the applications I've used it for include compressing direct bass/guitar/keyboards, as a gentle limiter while recording piano and piano/violin, as a main buss compressor, and for tracking a quartet. If there were any faults, they were my own for not knowing how to use the thing properly. Even then, though, it never did anything horrible to the signal. I've never scanned Ebay before for used RNCs because I couldn't figure out why someone would sell one. I guess I should start looking.
Old 9th December 2011
They are just plain rubbish

Had two of them, flat, boring and then one died. Unbalanced i/o is a pain in the butt, no mojo and questionable build quality. My "Crappy" Pro VLA is still kicking along though, and it sounds reasonably good. My used Aphex 320 was a far better investment than the FMR's. At least it works.
Old 9th December 2011
Gear Addict

The RNC is ok and wont destroy your sound. I like the RNLA more, for what I do. I use that regularly.
Old 9th December 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGA View Post
Hi Michael,

I had 3 of these at one stage sold 2 off and will probably sell my last one. Not that they are a bad compressor but I have others that get used more regularly and the RNC's were getting switched on less and less. Colourless? More or less. Boring perhaps unless they are in super nice mode and I like colour but for the money there's not much else out there that competes with it.
Have had 3 and sold them all....useless as far as I'm concerned. I now have the Overstayer...MUCH BETTER and not that expensive....
Old 9th December 2011
Lives for gear
I have one. I guess my opinion of it is that it's very handy, works well on most applications/situations, and stays out of the way for the most part (not much mojo).

But, I don't ever get "excited" to use it. It's like a level in a carpenters world. You need it sometimes, it keeps everything in line, but it's not your power saw or nail gun...you just use it...but don't have much fun with it.
Old 9th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Gerst View Post
I don't understand some of the comments about the RNC. When I measured it at various settings, what went in came out exactly the same way, just lower in level. It didn't make the signal "fatter" or "thinner" or "warmer" or "colder"; it just compressed the signal. To me, that's what a compressor is supposed to do.

Yes, all these different toys are like a big box of crayons; just think of this one crayon's color as "clear".
Same here..it compresses a signal when I need to tame it. Doesn't screw up the sound. Is dirt cheap. What's the problem. Next..
L.
Old 9th December 2011
I had one here and played with it. It sounded too dirty for me. I ran it into the Audio Precision and it showed some weird stuff, like 4~5% THD in "super nice" mode and very strange compression curves, with weird stepping gain bumps, it was not musical to me.

I'll stick with the 4 Aphex 651's, those are .002% THD, direct coupled, 200k hz response with very predictable results, all scaled out accurately on the front panel nonclemature.
Old 9th December 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
I had one here and played with it. It sounded too dirty for me. I ran it into the Audio Precision and it showed some weird stuff, like 4~5% THD in "super nice" mode and very strange compression curves, with weird stepping gain bumps, it was not musical to me.
If the RNC is dirty, and has strange compression curves, then mine must be specially modified, cause it sounds like pretty clean and straight forward compression to me. I simply can't say, I agree with your "strange curve" assessment, but I'm not using my RNC with an Audio Precision, so that combo might sound weird, I am not sure.
Old 9th December 2011
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
You must have had it set up in a very interesting and unusual way to find 4-5% THD coming out of the thing... I'm sure its possible... I just don't know how. I'll be happy to send you one to see if you can recreate that kind of distortion -- if you're into it - please video the process so I can see how you set it up to do that... over the years, I've tried pretty hard to get that kind of distortion from one... unfortunately I lack your prowess in getting things to run that poorly.

Just curious... might your pre-disposal for the Aphex have anything to due with "through hole" vs. "surface mount" construction? It would seem like a logical extension.

Peace
Old 10th December 2011
Gear Maniac

The RNC is solid. It provides very respectable modern compression.

That being said, two thing stand out to me, unlike more expensive compressors it just won't enhance your sound. I'm not even talking about color per say, because even expensive colorless or transparent compressors will usually add some kind of gloss to the signal, even if it is subtle. The RNC doesn't.

The second thing is, it never stood out as a particularly versatile compressor to me. For eg, a Distressor can access every nook and cranny of a signal's dynamic envelope, the RNC just can't be tweaked to the same degree. So it has it's limitations....

....that being said, for the price how can you complain? If you're on a budget then the RNC is the best respectable compression in its price range, so buy it and feel good that you've got something decent that can more or less hang with the big boys. If you've got better compressors then the RNC is still a great secondary compressor, as in, it will handle duties when your goto compressors are tied up elsewhere. Seems like some people like its sounds as well, so, well, anyhow, the RNC is not flashy but it is definitely respectable. Anyway, my 2 cents.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search