The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help with highs
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Nut

Help with highs

Hello. Ive been observing my spectrum analyser while playing a variety of different genres lately. One thing I always notice is around 16k the amplitude drops significantly and looks kind of like an L. I am wondering how this is achieved. I've tried using a low pass filter on it but it doesnt have that brickwall look to it. It's more rounded. Any help is appreciated.thanks.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Usually the info in that range observed on an analyser is from hi-hats, shakers, etc. Maybe think about how loud you have those things mixed, and how they're EQ'd.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Don't worry so much how it looks. How does it sound?
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

You're not doing something stupid like analysing mp3's ... ?

The natural energy of most instruments falls off about there - you don't need to do anything special. Rolling off with a low pass filter would destroy any subtle harmonics.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Nut

MP3s do look like that....
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Nut

You're not doing something stupid like analysing mp3's ... ?

Haha! actually I WAS looking at mp3's. Thanks for clearing that up. I thought it must have been some cool mastering trick to make the highs wash better. I just looked at some wav files and what do ya know, no brickwall at 16k. Whew! Actually my mixes sound good but the highs seem a bit too bright at times. Kinda like the frequency is usable but "out of key' with the song. A little too pss pss and not enough shh shh. Does that make sense?
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Oh, I totally didn't catch that you were talking about a brick wall drop-off. Haha...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search