The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
JCM 800
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Addict

JCM 800

Can anyone tell me the difference between the older JCM 800 2203's and the newer reissue ones, and how do they compare in sound? Any and all help is appreciated.
Old 21st August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicguitar View Post
Can anyone tell me the difference between the older JCM 800 2203's and the newer reissue ones, and how do they compare in sound? Any and all help is appreciated.
Hi
I can't answer your question but I'm sure someone will be able to do it here:
Amps and Cabs - The Gear Page
Old 21st August 2007
MGA
Gear Addict

I believe Marshall Amps released a few different JCM 800 (2203 - 2205 but I could be wrong here) but the 2203 seems to be the more favoured one 800 series. The only difference between a reissue and a vintage is the reissue has a series effects loop added to the amp. Sound wise......... well thats subjective. IMO they sound very, very close and you are probably going to be splitting hairs. Its like the old vintage Neve 1073 vs reissue 1073 thing in that the closest you'll get to the sound of the original will be the reissue. I'm sure there are others here who can elaborate more.
Old 21st August 2007
One with big hooves

Yeah, there were a few different revisions to the 800 series over the years... some small, some large. The big one was that for a few years Marshall was shipping amps with 6550 power tubes rather then 'the traditional' EL34's and at some point I think there was also an output transformer swap...

The EL34/6550 thing is pretty big though. EL34's have more midrange bark & presence... 6550's are quite a bit rounder & deeper/more extended on bottom. Any amp can be modded by a tech to run either type of tube.

This linkage might answer a whole slew of questions for 'ya ~ Old JCM800s - Seymour Duncan User Group Forums

Personally, I don't think there's a huge difference between a "new" 800 and an old 800 aside from 20+ year old components in the old ones, which should cause more "sag" or a be a bit looser. New filter caps would help even 'em out...

The old ones also tend to vary a bit from one to another even among the same model...probably due to age but even back in the day there was a good bit of varience...
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

the new ones have effects loops and the transformers are WRONG!!

No amp, ever made, can fuk with a 1980-83 vertical input JCM 800 100w. Especially when it gets modded by the right guy.... I have quite a few modded by quite a few different people, and they all sound like different amps, and all the ones I've kept are amazing. I have one I keep stock, never touched (other than retube) that still sounds great for somethings, mostly used cleaner and mixed with one of the modded more ballsy ones.

Warning: If you go on ebay and try to find one of these early 80s ones, you will be bidding against me and you will only raise your final price (that is, if you win). I have enough, and I am not that greedy, if you see one you want, please PM me. I watch them every week and bid on just about everyone that comes on. I win half the time. I will stand down if you see one. Just let me know. No use in raising the final number on each other. And yes, I am that obsessed with the early JCMs.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Kahrs View Post
New filter caps would help even 'em out...
that my friend, is the golden rule. ALWAYS change filter caps on all old amps.

I know a tech who has made a lot of people mystified with his work and 90% of the time it is the filter cap replacement that they are hearing and going bannanas over. He is talented and reallys does great work, but the filter caps in old amps is the secret to tonal revival.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

84K is spot on. They really tamed the beast after they made those changes.

84, any chance you are interested in selling one?

Old 21st August 2007
Gear Maniac

I think my buddy has an early JCM 800... from about 77 or so. It's still called a JMP but it is indeed the JCM circuit. I think he wants to sell it eventually, what are these things worth?
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah... the early ones sound amazing. Hard to beat. The only thing I have ever heard that I like better for that "JCM-800" sound is my Voodoo Amps modded JCM-900. Yes, you read that right.

I got this 900 for $350.00 (was too cheap to pass amp), and sent it up to Voodoo.

I told them what I wanted it to sound like and it came back sounding even BETTER than I expected. This amps kicks the butt of just about any Marshall I have ever owned or played (and that is a LOT, including some of the "magic" rental units that have been credited for some of the most famous rock records out today).

It does an AMAZING plexi thing at low gain setings. At moderate gain settings it is the best JCM-800 sound EVER. And at high gain settings, it is just a custom monster!! Amazing. I got the low boost feature, and that really fills it out more on the low end to give me that little extra thump that stock Marshalls never quite gave me.

Anyway.... check out Voodoo Amps. Their stock amps are amazing, or you can buy something and have it modded.

JMTC...
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

If I remember correctly, mine's an '82. Killer!

Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Mystic View Post
I think my buddy has an early JCM 800... from about 77 or so. It's still called a JMP but it is indeed the JCM circuit. I think he wants to sell it eventually, what are these things worth?
The late JMP<=> JCM 800 transition models are usually really effin loud amps. The price of them depends on the condition. They don't demand Plexi money (yet) but IMNSHO they kill plexi's.

Phrygian, is that an original early 70s slanted cab? Looks cool. The JCM looks great too!!
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyman View Post
84, any chance you are interested in selling one?

I love those things... If you have one, I'll buy it. None for sale tho. Sorry, but if you get one I know all the best mods.

Please everyone... remember I bid on all of them that are on ebay. I have for years now. Just let me know if you see one you want and I will back off. I don't want to get into an unnecessary bidding war with a fellow slut.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K View Post
Phrygian, is that an original early 70s slanted cab? Looks cool. The JCM looks great too!!
All original, but I think it may be 60's. It's a pretty rare cab, has the 30 watt celestion greenbacks as opposed to the 25's. Killer sound!

I had a second JCM800 (2204) but sold it a few years back. I may be getting it back though in a few months...hard to say!
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrygian View Post
All original, but I think it may be 60's. It's a pretty rare cab, has the 30 watt celestion greenbacks as opposed to the 25's. Killer sound!

I had a second JCM800 (2204) but sold it a few years back. I may be getting it back though in a few months...hard to say!
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I love those things... If you have one, I'll buy it. None for sale tho. Sorry, but if you get one I know all the best mods.
what kind of mods do you suggest? an 800 is on my list of things to buy.
Old 21st August 2007
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrygian View Post
If I remember correctly, mine's an '82. Killer!
It's also a Canadian version, marked by the toggles & small pilot light. Supposedly they're 'different' then the UK or US ones...

Anyway...the "true" Plexi amps weren't made after '69 or '70... anything from there upto the JMP series would technically be called a "metal front" or "metal panel" amp...

It's funny, about 10-12 years ago you couldn't GIVE the 800's away! I know a few guys who bought 'em for $300-400... A few years back I nabbed my 'loved' 50 watt for I think $450 and THAT was a deal. Crazy.
Old 21st August 2007
I have an 80's 50 watt JCM 800 and I think my Randall RM100 kicks the snot out of it
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Fatso View Post
what kind of mods do you suggest? an 800 is on my list of things to buy.
its not the kind of mod, it is the guy who mods them. I know 5 guys who all do great stuff and they all have their own sound. when you get one, let me know... then let me know what kind of sound you like. Then I will suggest someone to get the mod from.
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
its not the kind of mod, it is the guy who mods them. I know 5 guys who all do great stuff and they all have their own sound. when you get one, let me know... then let me know what kind of sound you like. Then I will suggest someone to get the mod from.
it will probably be a while but i will let you know when that day happens!
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Maniac

So 84K if I could snag it the JMP / 800 for $1200 USD... would that be a good deal or fair market value? I haven't been following the prices of Marshall's lately.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
I have an 80's 50 watt JCM 800 and I think my Randall RM100 kicks the snot out of it
Any 100 watt amp vs. a 50 watter is not quite a fair shootout. tutt

I'd love to hear my JCM 800 100 watters up against your Randall. Maybe I will try to get that Randall model on loaner.
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Kahrs View Post

It's funny, about 10-12 years ago you couldn't GIVE the 800's away! I know a few guys who bought 'em for $300-400... A few years back I nabbed my 'loved' 50 watt for I think $450 and THAT was a deal. Crazy.
In the early 90's I bought a 2204 sight unseen for $200. When the guy dropped it off during a session, the hair-band guitar player I was tracking, told me ever so matter-of-factly: "Your Marshall is a JCM-800. It's not any good."

Turned out he was wrong.

http://catamountrecording.com/
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
The late JMP<=> JCM 800 transition models are usually really effin loud amps. The price of them depends on the condition. They don't demand Plexi money (yet) but IMNSHO they kill plexi's.

I have a '77 JMP 100w with seimens valves and it is loud, very loud. At full tilt this thing will make your ears bleed.
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicguitar View Post

See this page:

The Marshall Shopper's Guide -
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Maniac

Thanks for that link, it was a good read!
Old 23rd August 2007
Quote:
Any 100 watt amp vs. a 50 watter is not quite a fair shootout. tutt

I'd love to hear my JCM 800 100 watters up against your Randall. Maybe I will try to get that Randall model on loaner.
I've played 100 watt JCM 800's and what I don't dig about mine is the same in the 100 watt amp.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
I've played 100 watt JCM 800's and what I don't dig about mine is the same in the 100 watt amp.
Well, there's no 'one amp' that works for everyone
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search