The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
If I build it, will they come?
Old 20th August 2007
  #1
Gear Nut
 
Evil_G's Avatar
 

If I build it, will they come?

Hello all.
I'm often looking for threads here about studio business advice, and there aren't that many. Here's what I'm thinking...

I run a small audio post facility. Been on my own for about 3 years, and it has been good, but things need to expand a little now so that I can compete with the big guys in town (where I used to work for a long time). Also glad that I have a good relationship with them now, it was a little rough at first.

Anyway, this is mostly a Pro Tools town, no big surprise there - but my question is for any of you SSL (particularly SSL AWS900) owners out there - is owning an SSL a big part of your marketing, or a big reason why people would come to you? There are no commercial post OR music facilities here with an SSL.
Having an SSL equipped room is a pinnacle I'm trying to reach, I guess I'm just wondering if clients really care. Was installing one a turning point , good or bad for your facility?

Of course, yes I know that anyone can buy gear and put it in the room - let's assume that I have a lot of experience and confidence in my abilities.

Some of the best studio business advice I've read was here - about owning the building your studio is in, if you can. I had never really considered that....

Any input apprecaited, positive or negative!

Neal
Old 20th August 2007
  #2
Lives for gear
 
lowfreq33's Avatar
 

Well, people will probably hate you for advertising yourself as an "SSL Studio" when you're "only" rockin' an AWS, but let em. If there's not even a 4000 series in town you'll have the hottest console on the block and a protools controller as well. All other things being equal (skills, etc.) the coolest gear wins. Just be sure the expense doesn't force you to price yourself beyond what your local market will bear.
Old 20th August 2007
  #3
Lives for gear
 
DSD_Mastering's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfreq33 View Post
Well, people will probably hate you for advertising yourself as an "SSL Studio" when you're "only" rockin' an AWS, but let em.
It's the same thing as studios advertising that they are a PT facility when they own an MBox!
But what you need is a niche and the SSL can be just the thing. If you're just doing Post, the 900 is perfect!

Regards,
Bruce
Old 20th August 2007
  #4
Gear Nut
 
Evil_G's Avatar
 

Yup, not even a 4000 in town. There is a 9000 , but it's in a music studio owned by a public broadcaster, meaning they are not allowed to 'compete' for outside work, they only do in house stuff. There is a Neve VR60 in a music only facility. They are busy.

I should have mentioned that I'm a musician as well, and have always wanted to do some music - mosly mixing - as well as post. I hear what you guys are saying about 'only' an AWS900 thouogh. A duality would be a dream come true but I don't think I could finance that.
Yet.
Thanks for the comments guys.

Any other thoughts?

Neal
Old 20th August 2007
  #5
Lives for gear
 
DSD_Mastering's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_G View Post
I hear what you guys are saying about 'only' an AWS900 thouogh. A duality would be a dream come true but I don't think I could finance that. Neal
Well at least it's a 900 and not an XLogic!

Regards,
Bruce
Old 21st August 2007
  #6
Gear Nut
 
Evil_G's Avatar
 

I have also noticed that most if not all of the AWS900 users on this site are using it for music. Any post users out there?

Neal
Old 21st August 2007
  #7
Lives for gear
1. It takes fives years to turn an opperative profit (ball-park figure). Can you aford to subsidise the business for five years?

2. The 900 is a producer's desk. OK for an existing business with little competition, but a J series it am not!

3. Used desks are very, very cheap right now.

4. Well, do you own the building?

5. Sorry, but a mortgage means the bank owns the building!

6. Why SSL? Do you honestly think your customers give a sh--t if it is a $500k Neve or done all-in-the-box?

7. Finance? I hope you do not intend to borrow money to bank-roll a recording studio!

8. "Having an SSL equipped room is a pinnacle I'm trying to reach" You have to decide NOW whether you are a geer geek (doomed to failure like all geer geeks that think they can make everybody think like them) or a businessman.

9. So now you are a businessman! OK, where's the business-plan?

10 and the in-depth market survey?

11. In the army, we used to say BS beats brains! Well, that goes for business too. Indirect lighting, big computer screens and a nice room with a grand piano is worth a great deal more than some mini-framed SSL producer's desk.

12. Henry Ford said "The secret of success in business is to find out what the customer wants and then to give it too them."
Old 21st August 2007
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Infernal Device's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre View Post
1. It takes fives years to turn an opperative profit (ball-park figure). Can you aford to subsidise the business for five years?

2. The 900 is a producer's desk. OK for an existing business with little competition, but a J series it am not!

3. Used desks are very, very cheap right now.

4. Well, do you own the building?

5. Sorry, but a mortgage means the bank owns the building!

6. Why SSL? Do you honestly think your customers give a sh--t if it is a $500k Neve or done all-in-the-box?

7. Finance? I hope you do not intend to borrow money to bank-roll a recording studio!

8. "Having an SSL equipped room is a pinnacle I'm trying to reach" You have to decide NOW whether you are a geer geek (doomed to failure like all geer geeks that think they can make everybody think like them) or a businessman.

9. So now you are a businessman! OK, where's the business-plan?

10 and the in-depth market survey?

11. In the army, we used to say BS beats brains! Well, that goes for business too. Indirect lighting, big computer screens and a nice room with a grand piano is worth a great deal more than some mini-framed SSL producer's desk.

12. Henry Ford said "The secret of success in business is to find out what the customer wants and then to give it too them."
This is the best post ever about studio business.
Old 21st August 2007
  #9
Gear Nut
 
Evil_G's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre View Post
1. It takes fives years to turn an opperative profit (ball-park figure). Can you aford to subsidise the business for five years?

2. The 900 is a producer's desk. OK for an existing business with little competition, but a J series it am not!

3. Used desks are very, very cheap right now.

4. Well, do you own the building?

5. Sorry, but a mortgage means the bank owns the building!

6. Why SSL? Do you honestly think your customers give a sh--t if it is a $500k Neve or done all-in-the-box?

7. Finance? I hope you do not intend to borrow money to bank-roll a recording studio!

8. "Having an SSL equipped room is a pinnacle I'm trying to reach" You have to decide NOW whether you are a geer geek (doomed to failure like all geer geeks that think they can make everybody think like them) or a businessman.

9. So now you are a businessman! OK, where's the business-plan?

10 and the in-depth market survey?

11. In the army, we used to say BS beats brains! Well, that goes for business too. Indirect lighting, big computer screens and a nice room with a grand piano is worth a great deal more than some mini-framed SSL producer's desk.

12. Henry Ford said "The secret of success in business is to find out what the customer wants and then to give it too them."
Yes, you have some great points there, albeit a little harsh....

I am not really a gear geek. I have gotten by just fine with the tools I have for a long time. And it has been successful. I feel like I'm at the point now where I either do what I have always dreamed of doing,(an SSL room) or just forget everything and go do something else for a living. Yes, Control 24 and PT HD are fine. I'm just bored with it all. In (my) post audio world, an SSL900 is not a crazy amount of money. Just wondering how it has worked for others in a post capacity. Has it helped business?

And yes, it would be a mortgage. So the bank would own me.
Not being a smart ass, I actually DO own a baby grand piano and indirect lighting.
Thanks for your comments. Back down to earth!

Neal
Old 21st August 2007
  #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre View Post
1. It takes fives years to turn an opperative profit (ball-park figure). Can you aford to subsidise the business for five years?

2. The 900 is a producer's desk. OK for an existing business with little competition, but a J series it am not!

3. Used desks are very, very cheap right now.

4. Well, do you own the building?

5. Sorry, but a mortgage means the bank owns the building!

6. Why SSL? Do you honestly think your customers give a sh--t if it is a $500k Neve or done all-in-the-box?

7. Finance? I hope you do not intend to borrow money to bank-roll a recording studio!

8. "Having an SSL equipped room is a pinnacle I'm trying to reach" You have to decide NOW whether you are a geer geek (doomed to failure like all geer geeks that think they can make everybody think like them) or a businessman.

9. So now you are a businessman! OK, where's the business-plan?

10 and the in-depth market survey?

11. In the army, we used to say BS beats brains! Well, that goes for business too. Indirect lighting, big computer screens and a nice room with a grand piano is worth a great deal more than some mini-framed SSL producer's desk.

12. Henry Ford said "The secret of success in business is to find out what the customer wants and then to give it too them."
Number 4 and number 12 are tied closely.

They absolutely care. If they wanted ITB, they'd go to Guitar Center and then mix at home. You can't start a studio based on offering people something they already have.
Old 21st August 2007
  #11
Gear Nut
 
Evil_G's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Caffrey View Post
Number 4 and number 12 are tied closely.

They absolutely care. If they wanted ITB, they'd go to Guitar Center and then mix at home. You can't start a studio based on offering people something they already have.
Yeah, that's what I think. I don't buy the 'no one gives a sh*t' argument.
Clients do care. If they didn't , then I would only have a keyboard, mouse, computer, PT LE and a Mac.

Neal
Old 22nd August 2007
  #12
Lives for gear
 
nukmusic's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre View Post

12. Henry Ford said "The secret of success in business is to find out what the customer wants and then to give it too them."
Old 22nd August 2007
  #13
Lives for gear
There is a lot of hard earned widsom in this post....I don't necessarily AGREE with all of it, but I certainly can't DISAGREE with it either.

Point one is a no brainer.

Point 2....I agree about the AWS900 being a producer desk....possibly not a client magnet. However, I have been saying for 15 years that openning a studio in hopes of attracting "clients" is a waste of time. The kind of studio you would need to build to attract upper eschelon clents would cost so much it would be doomed to failure. And by the way....those same clients will run you so ragged that in a year you might wonder why you bothered.

3. True...wanna buy one of mine? Personally, I think the best developement in audio in ages is the trend toward boutique boxes instead of consoles. Its much easier to move your money around in 3k chunks of gear rather than 50k and up.

4/5 I own my building and have a motgage....although the LTV is about 30% at this point. Paying a mortgage is not the end of the world if you have the cash flow. At least you are investing in a building you own. Unfortunately, studio build outs are both expensive and not very resellable. Tread carefully.

6. Totally true. The only people that have asked me about an SSL in the last 5 years were old line guys that tried to hook me into buying one...so they could use it. I tactfully suggested they buy their own. It doesn't matter any more. It DOES matter that it looks good, sounds good, feels good, etc. But IMHOP the only bankable name in gear right now is ProTools.

NOT to knock any other work station for quality of sound....but if you can't see the truth in that statement you have had your head in the sand the last few years.

7. If you plan on borrowing money you better have work committed from day one when you open. Otherwise an inheritance you won't mind going through like water.

8. The point of having an SSL equipped room is WHAT to you? An SSL is a tool...like a hammer, albiet a BIG hammer. There a re alot of SSLs still artound...most of them owned by seasoned, smart people that have clients and know how to get more. What aspect of having an SSL makes you think that that expenditure will pay for itself? I for one think it will be the expense that takes you down.

9/10. I never had a formal business plan and it didn't kill me. But you damn well better know your market. Making rekkids is the most fun and romantic part of the biz....it also is the most speculative. The single best pieces of gear you buy might well be a duping tower and color CD printer. They will make you money to paty the bills when the SSL sits idle.

11. Spot on.

12. i live by this. Make your clients your business partners. Be helpful, never petty.






Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre View Post
1. It takes fives years to turn an opperative profit (ball-park figure). Can you aford to subsidise the business for five years?

2. The 900 is a producer's desk. OK for an existing business with little competition, but a J series it am not!

3. Used desks are very, very cheap right now.

4. Well, do you own the building?

5. Sorry, but a mortgage means the bank owns the building!

6. Why SSL? Do you honestly think your customers give a sh--t if it is a $500k Neve or done all-in-the-box?

7. Finance? I hope you do not intend to borrow money to bank-roll a recording studio!

8. "Having an SSL equipped room is a pinnacle I'm trying to reach" You have to decide NOW whether you are a geer geek (doomed to failure like all geer geeks that think they can make everybody think like them) or a businessman.

9. So now you are a businessman! OK, where's the business-plan?

10 and the in-depth market survey?

11. In the army, we used to say BS beats brains! Well, that goes for business too. Indirect lighting, big computer screens and a nice room with a grand piano is worth a great deal more than some mini-framed SSL producer's desk.

12. Henry Ford said "The secret of success in business is to find out what the customer wants and then to give it too them."
Old 22nd August 2007
  #14
One with big hooves
 
Jay Kahrs's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Caffrey View Post
They absolutely care. If they wanted ITB, they'd go to Guitar Center and then mix at home. You can't start a studio based on offering people something they already have.
I call shenanigans on that one.

Hopefully, clients are coming to us for the skills of the driver & not just the car.

See number 8!

If everyone could track, mix...master on their own with NOTHING but a GuiTarget card then we'd ALL be out of work.

It's no different then building a house or a custom hot rod.

You could order a $200k worth of materials & tools from Home Depot but really, who's gonna design the place? Who's gonna make the cuts, swing the hammers and wield a framing hammer?

This a is "service" industry.

Gotta "serve" the clients needs.

Of course, there are some people who have ABSOLUTLY NO IDEA what their needs are...
Old 22nd August 2007
  #15
Gear Guru
 
u b k's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre View Post
12. Henry Ford said "The secret of success in business is to find out what the customer wants and then to give it too them."

if he were alive today he'd say "the secret of success in business is to find out what the customer wants and then to give it to them, even if they don't want it."

also, to answer the original question "if i build it will they come" the answer is "no." they won't come just because you built it, you have to lure them there. you will be every bit as successful at luring them with an ssl as you were at luring them without an ssl. iow, the only factor in determining your eventual success is you. persistence is mandatory, gear is optional.


gregoire
del
ubk
.
Old 22nd August 2007
  #16
Gear Nut
 
Evil_G's Avatar
 

Indeed, there is a lot of hard-earned wisdom in this post, and I don't disagree with much of it. Thanks for all the insight so far - it's helpful.
I wouldn't dream of starting out with a studio with an SSL, I have 15 years of experience, clients, credits, and I know the market. I am also lucky enough to have been involved in building studios - from swingin' a hammer to soldering for months. That doesn't scare me in the least.

Given all that - I'm posing a question - if any of you were in a healthy post market where you only have one main competitor, you have business,clients and a good reputation, and there are no other SSL rooms around ...would you take the plunge? The message so far seems to be a resounding 'NO'.....

Neal
Old 22nd August 2007
  #17
Lives for gear
 
DSD_Mastering's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_G View Post
Given all that - I'm posing a question - if any of you were in a healthy post market where you only have one main competitor, you have business,clients and a good reputation, and there are no other SSL rooms around ...would you take the plunge? The message so far seems to be a resounding 'NO'.....
Neal
For Post?... Maybe. I'd look into either a 900, ICON or MC5

Regards,
Bruce
Old 22nd August 2007
  #18
Lives for gear
Well, whilst I wait for the phone to ring, I'll add a point or two -

Last night, when I wrote that lot, I was the better for a couple of beers (hence the extra 'o' in 'to') and was in the mood to be blunt.

Today the sun is shining, God is in his fermament and all is right with the World, but my opinion of an SSL room for post (and all that goes with it) remains the same.

We do some film and TV work, usually tracking for budget films, so I have some idea of the post market and right now the post market seems to be where the tracking market was five years ago - i.e. not in a good place and getting worse. The really good engineers are doing OK, but the facilities (at least here in the UK) are not.

I was talking to a media finance guy a few weeks back and he told me that he is seeing a noticeable increase in the number of post houses going bust.

The three letters S, S and L raised an alarm with me for several reasons.

1. Budget post is nearly all ITB.

2. The budget post market is not fussed how you get to a final product.

3. For the 'SSL' market, just the desk is not enough. Dolby en- and de-coders, monitors, outboard (e.g. Lexicon 960L etc., etc.) and 48 ADDA tracks of DAW.

4. At the SSL end of the market, you need nice green room, sexy building, etc.

5. At the SSL end of the market, you need THX certification for the room.

6. And last, but not least, at that end of the market, you need to be in a film-TV city (NY, LA, Chicago, London, Paris, Berlin).


On the Henry Ford thing, your next step would be to find out what the customer wants. That means doing a market survey. (Though, at the moment my 30 Cents would be that the TV and budget film post customer pays as little as possible. The golden days of plenty are so very over! There may be loads of work out there in media La-La Land, but the market is factured into hundreds of channels and 'narrow-casters' none of whom have real money. )

My advice -

In a city I know (sorry, no names here) there are two post facilities. One has the big SSL G+ desk, ProTools HD rooms, a lounge with a bar and a dolly-bird at the reception desk.

The other has four rooms with small Dynaudios, Soundscape, small Mackie desks and a coffee machine that is always on the go.

One of these facilities is always in work, one is struggling.

If I wanted to expand a post business right now, I would go down-market and not up.
Old 22nd August 2007
  #19
Gear Nut
 
Evil_G's Avatar
 

Ahh, that's a better mood.
I'll say it again, I have no interest in going "down market". I'd rather quit this racket and do something else. I know, budgets are getting smaller and smaller in post, and the bar is continually being lowered. I should mention though, 80% of my work is episodic television, although, yes, it is lower budget.

I am handling, by myself, all of the post work for three series per year, each with 26 episodes....and about 3-4 documentaries. There is more out there, but they are higher end clients and expect more.
Commercial clients too.

Agreed, the room's gotta be really great. Agreed, need Dolby encoders and decoders. Got that already. Don't need THX certification. Don't do blockbuster films.

As far as the building goes, I'm actually thinking of something like you've got going there, byre. A post house in my house. Purpose built, live above or beside it. Not necessarily in the country though.

Neal
Old 22nd August 2007
  #20
Lives for gear
 
sleepwalker's Avatar
 

Massive monitors can make a difference. Two 30" LCD's run around $2500 or so. They provide an immediate functional improvement as well as some sluttiness. I think the 900 is too small to get people gaga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_G View Post
Yes, you have some great points there, albeit a little harsh....

I am not really a gear geek. I have gotten by just fine with the tools I have for a long time. And it has been successful. I feel like I'm at the point now where I either do what I have always dreamed of doing,(an SSL room) or just forget everything and go do something else for a living. Yes, Control 24 and PT HD are fine. I'm just bored with it all. In (my) post audio world, an SSL900 is not a crazy amount of money. Just wondering how it has worked for others in a post capacity. Has it helped business?

And yes, it would be a mortgage. So the bank would own me.
Not being a smart ass, I actually DO own a baby grand piano and indirect lighting.
Thanks for your comments. Back down to earth!

Neal
Old 22nd August 2007
  #21
One with big hooves
 
Jay Kahrs's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_G View Post
Ahh, that's a better mood.
I'll say it again, I have no interest in going "down market". I'd rather quit this racket and do something else. I know, budgets are getting smaller and smaller in post, and the bar is continually being lowered. I should mention though, 80% of my work is episodic television, although, yes, it is lower budget.

I am handling, by myself, all of the post work for three series per year, each with 26 episodes....and about 3-4 documentaries. There is more out there, but they are higher end clients and expect more.
Commercial clients too.
Not knowing the post market at all, being strictly a music guy... One can only wonder if adding an AWS will make YOU happy and increase your productivity to any degree.

And at that point, does it have to be an SSL or would a 48 channel D&R be just as groovy? The Cinemix is a beast of a desk... I think it's LESS then the baby SSL too.

Sounds like you want the AWS though...
Old 22nd August 2007
  #22
Gear Nut
 
Evil_G's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Kahrs View Post
Not knowing the post market at all, being strictly a music guy... One can only wonder if adding an AWS will make YOU happy and increase your productivity to any degree.

And at that point, does it have to be an SSL or would a 48 channel D&R be just as groovy? The Cinemix is a beast of a desk... I think it's LESS then the baby SSL too.

Sounds like you want the AWS though...
Good point, Jay. There IS the fact that I want it probably more than anyone. I've always been that way about slutty gear. It DOES inspire me, it DOES make me want to dig in more, it DOES make me want to come to work in the morning. I find it inspiring to work with good tools. Not a great business model, I know. But hey, this IS gearslutz, right?

Also, it was just a few years ago when $90k for a board wasn't that big a deal. A Fairlight EDITING system was that much. Yeesh. Gone are the days.

Neal
Old 22nd August 2007
  #23
Lives for gear
 

Clear title is the ideal of course. But IMO, any business worth getting into isn't viable if a couple of $1000/month overhead extra is a problem.

If it is a problem, the real issue lies somewhere else. Things like location, market, and most importantly YOU. The fact is, you have to be practical about your own situation and not let emotions get in the way of reality. It's a hard thing to do, as the saying goes - the road to hell is paved with good intentions. No one starts a business thinking they're going to be "dead".

Since you've already started building a client base there are a few things you can factor. #1, what is the rate your charging now and how much can you increase it without losing the existing client base. #2 is factor in how much business you have lost because your existing studio is less flexable than the one you plan on building.

With those two questions answered properly (and be hard on yourself) your well on the way in answering your original question.

Personally, I would look at your existing market and base the new studio on a "break even" situation based on existing volume. Your profit will come from a slight increase in rate (be carefull there) as well as attracting new customers due to the more flexable, and comfortable studio.
Old 22nd August 2007
  #24
Gear Nut
 
Evil_G's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats View Post
Clear title is the ideal of course. But IMO, any business worth getting into isn't viable if a couple of $1000/month overhead extra is a problem.
Agree. Some good points there. I like some of the wisdom in this thread. Keep 'er going!
Gotta say though, right now, the picture that's being painted ain't so beautiful.

After 15 years, maybe it's time to hang up the hat so to speak and do something else.
If nothing else, the studio biz has toughened me up a bit. By comparison, doing something else - like manufacturing - seems simple and straightforward, although I know that's not the case.

Neal
Old 23rd August 2007
  #25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Kahrs View Post
I call shenanigans on that one.

Hopefully, clients are coming to us for the skills of the driver & not just the car.

See number 8!

If everyone could track, mix...master on their own with NOTHING but a GuiTarget card then we'd ALL be out of work.

It's no different then building a house or a custom hot rod.

You could order a $200k worth of materials & tools from Home Depot but really, who's gonna design the place? Who's gonna make the cuts, swing the hammers and wield a framing hammer?

This a is "service" industry.

Gotta "serve" the clients needs.

Of course, there are some people who have ABSOLUTLY NO IDEA what their needs are...
I think most clients aren't qualified to evaluate the skills of the engineer. Many are, but most go either on superficial things or personality and how comfortable the feel with the people they meet when they take a tour. Since they know they don't know what they really need to know, they choose to work with people they think they can trust.
Old 23rd August 2007
  #26
Lives for gear
 
The MPCist's Avatar
 

FWIW, I would never build a studio and then hope that they will come.

Built up a clientele first using what studio you have or an outside studio before you spend alot of major bucks into a studio. Clients follow talent (engineer, arranger, producer, whatever) so build up a list of clients and they'll work with you whether it be in your living room, garage, or new recording facility.
Old 23rd August 2007
  #27
Gear Maniac
 

Hey Evil G,

Where are you located? just reading threw this post and reading all your posts, your reminding me of one of my instructors from my first term of my engineering program. His name was Neal, last name started with a G, worked post at the only large post facility in town, and now has his own business doing series and documentary's.

Peace,

Rob
Old 23rd August 2007
  #28
Quote:
Originally Posted by The MPCist View Post
FWIW, I would never build a studio and then hope that they will come.

Built up a clientele first using what studio you have or an outside studio before you spend alot of major bucks into a studio. Clients follow talent (engineer, arranger, producer, whatever) so build up a list of clients and they'll work with you whether it be in your living room, garage, or new recording facility.
Me either, except currently, I think that's the only way to do it. 5-10 years ago, no and maybe again 5 years from now, but currently you're going ot be subsdizing recordings for a bit to get into the business and even that's not a guarantee.
Old 23rd August 2007
  #29
Gear Nut
 
Evil_G's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Caffrey View Post
Me either, except currently, I think that's the only way to do it. 5-10 years ago, no and maybe again 5 years from now, but currently you're going ot be subsdizing recordings for a bit to get into the business and even that's not a guarantee.
I hear what you all are saying....but I AM in the post business and have been for a long time. I do have clients, I do have a good reputation, I have credits and skills. Perhaps my title of the thread is a bit misleading.
Surely, there have been some of you out there who have reached the point I am at right now: stay where you are, doing what you're doing, somewhat bored by the mundane-ness of it all, or move up and take a big plunge into something much more. Something that you own. And, if that plunge is taken, will it all be worth it in the end. I know, I'm looking for a crystal ball.
I'm not getting frustrated, just want to clarify: if you could be THE ONLY SSL - equipped facility around (entire east coast of Canada) would you do it? The question has already been answered by a few.....
Neal
Old 23rd August 2007
  #30
Lives for gear
 
ddageek's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_G View Post
I hear what you all are saying....but I AM in the post business and have been for a long time. I do have clients, I do have a good reputation, I have credits and skills. Perhaps my title of the thread is a bit misleading.
Surely, there have been some of you out there who have reached the point I am at right now: stay where you are, doing what you're doing, somewhat bored by the mundane-ness of it all, or move up and take a big plunge into something much more. Something that you own. And, if that plunge is taken, will it all be worth it in the end. I know, I'm looking for a crystal ball.
I'm not getting frustrated, just want to clarify: if you could be THE ONLY SSL - equipped facility around (entire east coast of Canada) would you do it? The question has already been answered by a few.....
Neal
Bottom Line NO because if anyone else figures out that your marketing is the SSL all they have to do is buy one to cut into your market! (And are you sure you would be the only SSl in the market there jus might already be somebody whos been really quiet!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
jahtao / So much gear, so little time
3
jarbar / Geekslutz forum
9
MACHINE / Music Computers
3
006productions / So much gear, so little time
6
elder rookie / Geekslutz forum
11

Forum Jump
Forum Jump