The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
If I build it, will they come?
Old 25th August 2007
  #61
Lives for gear
 
Jazzpunk's Avatar
 

Hi Evil,
I've been in post audio for the past 7 years. No offense but WTF do you need an SSL for?!

The type of clientele you are dealing with aren't going to know an SSL from a hole in the ground. You'll attract more biz in the post world if you install one of these;

http://www.coffee-makers-espresso-ma...antgarde-.html

Add some trendy furniture and wi-fi so they can e-mail non-stop while 'supervising' the mix and you'll be good to go.
Old 25th August 2007
  #62
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_G View Post
As far as the building goes, I'm actually thinking of something like you've got going there, byre. A post house in my house. Purpose built, live above or beside it. Not necessarily in the country though.
I think, given the above posting about the building and also given the condition and the fact (well, I think it's a fact!!!) that a new desk right now would not be the most logical thing to do, you are slowly answering your own question "If I build it, will they come?"

If what you have outlined here is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, then the answer has to be

Yes!

In other words, yes, you have to build it. The whole studio, that is!

How about a nice house ina nice part of town, with a three or four car garage that can be converted into a studio? Put the piano and all your favorite toys in there and use one room in the house as reception-office-green room.

Find something that has space and location so that you can expand the business.

Why not out of town and in the country? I assume producers, directors, creatives and the like have cars. It does not have to be far out in the boonies, just where the sky comes down to the green fields - and not to the roof of the house opposite. We are in the heart of the country, but just 12 miles from Inverness and 20 miles from the airport. That makes us 90 minutes from London.

If the place is big enough, you can expand the business by taking on some college leavers and watch them doing the work for you.

Just imagine, a nice and airy studio with large picture windows overlooking the countryside or even the sea. Instead of the silly cost of that desk, the DAW with four 30" screems and two TV monitors, all nicely recessed into a sexy wooden desk.

BS beats brains, remember?

A Herman-Miller chair (used off eBay of course!) and a big, sexy leather swivel chair for the producer, right next to the drinks cabinet.

"Please, go right ahead. Help yourself!"

600 sq ft is all you need for a good post room with foley room and machine room.
Old 25th August 2007
  #63
.

NOW we're getting somewhere with the advice...


and the BEST part of it all is,

you spend LESS money, so you're LESS stressed.



and the money you DO spend, is quality of life investment,

that, yes lo and behold, even YOU CAN ENJOY......

(f*ck the producers....)



...
Old 25th August 2007
  #64
Gear Addict
 
wildstar's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre View Post
I think, given the above posting about the building and also given the condition and the fact (well, I think it's a fact!!!) that a new desk right now would not be the most logical thing to do, you are slowly answering your own question "If I build it, will they come?"

If what you have outlined here is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, then the answer has to be

Yes!

In other words, yes, you have to build it. The whole studio, that is!
Just imagine, a nice and airy studio with large picture windows overlooking the countryside or even the sea...

..BS beats brains, remember?

...600 sq ft is all you need for a good post room with foley room and machine room.
+1

Old 25th August 2007
  #65
Lives for gear
 
HIGHENDONLY's Avatar
 

YES, They will come..
Old 25th August 2007
  #66
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHENDONLY View Post
YES, They will come..
YOU should run for president, if you haven't already...


.
Old 25th August 2007
  #67
Deleted bd1be4f
Guest
Neal,

One comment you've made a couple of times that set off alarms for me is when you stated that you were "bored" with your current setup. From a business perspective, that's a very dangerous reason for making major business decisions.

Sure, getting a new console or piece of gear, or what have you on a personal level will give you a jolt of excitement, but like a sugar rush it soon wears off. The fact that you've even mentioned getting out of the business and doing something else tells me that the bigger decision for you isn't about getting a console or new facility, but if you really want to continue to pursue this career. Because I can guarantee you that if somewhere deep down you're not digging what you do now, doing the same work with a fancier console or in a nicer space isn't likely going to make that feeling go away.

That said, if you DO want to stay in the game no matter what, you MUST approach these business decisions logically, not emotionally. That means doing a little market research and projections. You say that you've already got a good client base. What you need to do is analyze how many new clients you think you could reasonably take from the other facilities in town. This will go a long way toward determining how viable taking out a major loan would be for you and your business model.

Also, you stated you suspect that your clients aren't thrilled with the space you're in. Since you've already got a good client base, use them as part of your marketing research! Either ask them in person, or write up a survey and ask them to fill it out, and ask them things like whether a newer or nicer facility would have any impact on their decisions about who and where they work. Also ask them how much if at all the addition of a large format console would impact their decisions about where they'd choose to work.

Or to take it a step further, ask your clients if they wouldn't mind making up a "wish" list of amenities, gear, services or anything else they can think of that they'd like to see you provide that you don't already, or what things if any might persuade them to go work somewhere else. Since it stands to reason that your current clients are indicative of other potential new clients you'd like to acquire, info that they provide you will give you a great insight into what you could or should be doing to lure new clients over, not to mention make your existing clients even happier.
Old 25th August 2007
  #68
Lives for gear
 
Marjan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_G View Post
Good point, Jay. There IS the fact that I want it probably more than anyone. I've always been that way about slutty gear. It DOES inspire me, it DOES make me want to dig in more, it DOES make me want to come to work in the morning. I find it inspiring to work with good tools. Not a great business model, I know. But hey, this IS gearslutz, right?
Gear slutiness is great in many ways, but it's not real life, let alone successful business.

If gear was Alcohol, Gear Slutz would be Alcoholics Anonymous... and we the fuking boozers.
Old 25th August 2007
  #69
Gear Nut
 
Evil_G's Avatar
 

Hey guys. More great advice there. Yes, I agree - we seem to be getting somewhere now! The building/studio/rooms/location is the thing to focus on. I am trying to focus on finding a place in a nice part of town with about 500-800 square of useable studio space first. If that doesn't go well, then I start moving out, away from town, even considering building from scratch. Post and beam, on the Ocean/or Ocean view. Like everywhere, Oceanfront is expensive here, but it's not INSANE.

On a somewhat unrelated note, check out this place for sale - it's about a 20 minute drive from here. What a great studio this would make. And only $4M. In Malibou, this would cost $60M ! Don't get me wrong - waaaaaaaaaay outta my league.

http://www.whalesback.com/residence.html

OK, back to earth. Please note that I am in no way, shape or form involved with that place for sale.

OK. I am a little bit concerned about the idea of living where I work. Yes, convenient, but I imagine very distracting too. And it never goes 'away'.

Anyway, maybe I'm sending this thread all over the place, maybe time I stopped.
But I think there's been some great advice here so far, and I'm sure a lot of people are benefitting from it.

Cheers!
Neal
Old 26th August 2007
  #70
Gear Nut
 
Evil_G's Avatar
 

Bumpity bump.
Old 26th August 2007
  #71
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_G View Post
OK. I am a little bit concerned about the idea of living where I work. Yes, convenient, but I imagine very distracting too. And it never goes 'away'.

Anyway, maybe I'm sending this thread all over the place, maybe time I stopped.
But I think there's been some great advice here so far, and I'm sure a lot of people are benefitting from it.

Cheers!
Neal
Well...I hate to tell you this , but it never goes away anyway. I live about 100 feet from the studio... and often hang late in the studio because the AC is way better. People call at like....4AM like its a normal thing to do, lol.

Of course, they aren't as annoying as the ones that call that did a sinle session 15 years ago on 2" and want to get on PT, for free of course.
Old 27th August 2007
  #72
Gear Nut
 
Evil_G's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzpunk View Post
Hi Evil,
I've been in post audio for the past 7 years. No offense but WTF do you need an SSL for?!

The type of clientele you are dealing with aren't going to know an SSL from a hole in the ground. You'll attract more biz in the post world if you install one of these;

Jura Capresso IMPRESSA S9 Avantgarde Super Automatic Espresso Machine & Coffee Center NEW LOW PRICE! BONUS: 2 Pounds Coffee, Chocolate/Cinnamon Mills & Biscotti

Add some trendy furniture and wi-fi so they can e-mail non-stop while 'supervising' the mix and you'll be good to go.
Wow, that is a SERIOUS espresso machine. Awesome.

WTF do I need an SSL for?
Well, it doesn't HAVE to be SSL.
I HAS TO control Pro Tools.
I, unlike many others it seems, actually LIKE the small form factor of the AWS900.
It HAS TO do more than just be a control surface. I want a console because I want to do other things besides post. Music projects. And music mixing.
I HAS TO BE quality! It is depressing to work with a POS. Control 24 - POS. ICON - don't know yet, but man that's a lotta mushrooms, plastic, and smurf blue paint.
Maybe Euphonix?


Neal
Old 28th August 2007
  #73
Gear Nut
 
Evil_G's Avatar
 

bump!
Old 28th August 2007
  #74
Gear Guru
 
Glenn Kuras's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_G View Post
bump!
I just booked my room and flight for the AES show. Neal if you would like drop me a email at [email protected] and lets see if we can meet up for a beer.

Glenn
Old 31st August 2007
  #75
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_G View Post
WTF do I need an SSL for?
Well, it doesn't HAVE to be SSL.
I HAS TO control Pro Tools.
I, unlike many others it seems, actually LIKE the small form factor of the AWS900.
It HAS TO do more than just be a control surface. I want a console because I want to do other things besides post. Music projects. And music mixing.
I HAS TO BE quality! It is depressing to work with a POS. Control 24 - POS. ICON - don't know yet, but man that's a lotta mushrooms, plastic, and smurf blue paint.
Maybe Euphonix?


Neal

Just to add to the debate here one thing that I feel needs to be said -

Right now is a very bad time to be buying new equuipment. And it is an even worse time for buying SSL stuff. The company is under new ownership and a whole new direction of targeting the upper-mid market is beginning to emerge. I expect Soundscape and products like the new C100 to feature in that strategy.

Simply - the market is about to move and change so much over the next 18 months, that EVERYONE should be sitting on their wallets and keeping their powerder dry.

BUT

right now is a good time to buy property in the US, so I assume Nova Scotia will be the same.
Old 31st August 2007
  #76
Gear Nut
 
Evil_G's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre View Post
Just to add to the debate here one thing that I feel needs to be said -

Right now is a very bad time to be buying new equuipment. And it is an even worse time for buying SSL stuff. The company is under new ownership and a whole new direction of targeting the upper-mid market is beginning to emerge. I expect Soundscape and products like the new C100 to feature in that strategy.

Simply - the market is about to move and change so much over the next 18 months, that EVERYONE should be sitting on their wallets and keeping their powerder dry.

BUT

right now is a good time to buy property in the US, so I assume Nova Scotia will be the same.
Real Estate is in a bit of a 'cooling down' period right now, after a good long run of 5 years or so of big gains. Strangely, the housing market here is in a better state than things are in the US, although if the bottom really drops out there, we will certainly be affected, as always. It has always been harder to borrow money in Canada than in the US, and it turns out that it's a good thing right now.

The next 18 months are going to be interesting, yes. I'd like to see a few things happen, like some serious Pro Tools competition. Logic and Soundscape, step up!
You mentioned new ownership at SSL - did anyone notice that ALL the top brass at AVID and DIGIDESIGN have left? Maybe some new direction there too?

Peace
Neal
Old 31st August 2007
  #77
Gear Maniac
Hi

I've became bored of mixing in the box / with mackie controls and bought myself a 40ch DDA DCM 232 fully refurbished with patchbay - i was aiming for a 4000 but i couldn't find a decent one at a decent price ( the DDA costed 5 times less than a ****ty 4000 and i've invested the rest of the money on outboard ), and then there's all the maintenance issues - btw, there's almost no technicians around here and the two that are have no experience with SSL...

At the moment i'm doing (re)construction work at the studio, so the console is just sitting on the lounge, waiting to be connected - but two things happened in the meantime...

First thing is that i've had more bookings since i have the console (despite the fact that the studio will be in construction for 2 or 3 more months and the console isn't really connected... !!!) - it isn't terrible huge but it is a full size console and it does have the woah! factor.

The second thing is that most of those people say "oh, you have an SSL"... they honestly don't care if it is a SSL, DDA or any other brand with 3 leters. These are, of course, the same people that think my logic system is pro tools - and if you say "no, it's logic" they'll just say ok and carry one living without thinking much about it.

The thing is, if you really want a console, buy one that suit your professional needs - that's the main thing, or at least one that you lust. Not a lot of people NEED an ssl, particulary an AWS - from my point of view the biggest advantage of a ssl is the dynamics part in all channels, one thing that the AWS doesn't have, or the fyling faders thing - wich i personally don't care.
Bottom line is, not a great deal of studios have a LARGE format console these days and, like it or not, for the average person is always impressive, just cause they're not used to be hanging around stuff like that...
Oh, and, as someone else said, consoles are dead cheap these days....

just my 2 cents (of an euro)
Old 3rd September 2007
  #78
Here for the gear
 

How about this instead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_G View Post
Wow, that is a SERIOUS espresso machine. Awesome.

WTF do I need an SSL for?
Well, it doesn't HAVE to be SSL.
I HAS TO control Pro Tools.
I, unlike many others it seems, actually LIKE the small form factor of the AWS900.
It HAS TO do more than just be a control surface. I want a console because I want to do other things besides post. Music projects. And music mixing.
I HAS TO BE quality! It is depressing to work with a POS. Control 24 - POS. ICON - don't know yet, but man that's a lotta mushrooms, plastic, and smurf blue paint.
Maybe Euphonix?


Neal
Hey Neal,
I was scratching around looking for some info and come across this thread So I joined this rather interesting site so I can (may) be of some assistance Have you heard of the Smart av This is an absolute magic thing and you may want to take a look at their site It seems to fit into your scheme of things as it can do a hell of a lot
I am an analogue guy so it is of no more interest than a whaaa! factor You may be already aware of it's existence but it does not seem so by following the thread through
There is guy down under that has three of them in his place doing audio, as well as Visual, at the same time Smart AV - Home
Here is the link any way
Cheers
Chris
Old 3rd September 2007
  #79
Gear Guru
 
u b k's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjan View Post
If gear was Alcohol, Gear Slutz would be Alcoholics Anonymous... and we the fuking boozers.

no, if gear was alcohol gearslutz would be the anti-AA, a place where we get together and encourage others to drink, while trying to convince them that the booze we prefer is the one they should be abusing.

"what's the best fortified flavored wine for under $2?"


gregoire
del
ubk
.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Forum Jump
Forum Jump