The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
If I build it, will they come?
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Guru

Neal,

There are some great comments on here and really no ones is wrong.

Yesterday I got a call from a old buddy of mine that owns a printing company. He asked me to stop in and have an owner to owner to talk to bounce some ideas off of me (we do that from time to time). He started talking about how bored he has become with his company (kind of sounds like you) and how he was looking at getting this new press that he thinks is going to make his market much bigger (we are talking about a $600,000 press). We went back and forth with the numbers, marketing and so on, which all seemed to be inline. At the end I looked at him and said "If you buy this press will it make you want to come into work more?". With his head nodding yes I then said "Hell then you should do it because not only will it grow your market but you will be more motivated to work your company harder. End result is you will grow".

From everything I have read from you I think you understand the risk. If you think you can make it happen then I would go for it. Hell if nothing else you will go down trying. There are stupid risks and there are smart risks, but really only you can say which one that is. No company grows by sitting on there hands.

Glenn
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

We are in a small remote town (5000 pop) most are still tape or Akai /Roland/etc. DAW ...you have to look at the expense vs the clients budget. Our returning clientèle would never afford the more than $100 per hour..which is how we base are charges ..per the equipment we have installed...and the daily cost of overhead. Unless you don't plan to make a profit ~ for years to come Artist really never ask us a "list of gear" just the 30 years of recording experience.

Recording Studio
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddageek View Post
Bottom Line NO because if anyone else figures out that your marketing is the SSL all they have to do is buy one to cut into your market! (And are you sure you would be the only SSl in the market there jus might already be somebody whos been really quiet!
Evilg

I know some of the medium sized facilities in the Toronto market are all ITB. One well known facility in particular that I know has a control 24 in their main studio that none of the engineers use - most prefer just a mouse and a screen. The control 24 is there for show.

Most of your decent post clients are not going to know or care about an SSL. What tends to make a difference to these clients are a RELATIONSHIPS, cool environment, that is in an easy to get to location. These want to be schmoozed and catered to. Anyone with any abilities is going to be able to churn out decent quality, what else can you provide ?

The Post facility that i mentioned above spent just as much or more on interior designer, than they did on gear.

Good Lcuk
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfipie View Post
Neal,

There are some great comments on here and really no ones is wrong.

Yesterday I got a call from a old buddy of mine that owns a printing company. He asked me to stop in and have an owner to owner to talk to bounce some ideas off of me (we do that from time to time). He started talking about how bored he has become with his company (kind of sounds like you) and how he was looking at getting this new press that he thinks is going to make his market much bigger (we are talking about a $600,000 press). We went back and forth with the numbers, marketing and so on, which all seemed to be inline. At the end I looked at him and said "If you buy this press will it make you want to come into work more?". With his head nodding yes I then said "Hell then you should do it because not only will it grow your market but you will be more motivated to work your company harder. End result is you will grow".

From everything I have read from you I think you understand the risk. If you think you can make it happen then I would go for it. Hell if nothing else you will go down trying. There are stupid risks and there are smart risks, but really only you can say which one that is. No company grows by sitting on there hands.

Glenn
Haha. You all have made great points for sure. Glenn, I like your story the best. Guess I'm just stubborn. I also like to take calculated risks. I'd be interested to see how your buddy does with his new printing press.

Whatever I do, I will make sure that above all, it's a really nice place with a cool vibe that people are comfortable in.
I'm going to the AES in the fall to look at a few other alternatives to the AWS. D-Command, the bigger ICON, the Euphonix System5 all on the list. Can't wait.
Will I see any of you there?

Neal
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_G View Post
Haha. You all have made great points for sure. Glenn, I like your story the best. Guess I'm just stubborn. I also like to take calculated risks. I'd be interested to see how your buddy does with his new printing press.

Whatever I do, I will make sure that above all, it's a really nice place with a cool vibe that people are comfortable in.
I'm going to the AES in the fall to look at a few other alternatives to the AWS. D-Command, the bigger ICON, the Euphonix System5 all on the list. Can't wait.
Will I see any of you there?

Neal

I think I might be there. Not sure if I should put on my GIK shirt or Gearslutz shirt.

One thing I must tell you about my buddy. He has done VERY WELL, but he is also one of those people that has a "If I build it they will come" kind of way of thinking of things. I will say it does work for him.
Part of the story I did not tell you is I went back through his books and found just as much profit he is wasting as he would make with the new press. Meaning he could invest nothing, change a few things with his company and still make a TON. But like you (and me, may I add) it ain't all about the money sometimes. It is about getting to do what you really want to do in life and the money is only the "you did it right" sign of it all.

Glenn
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
I think I might be there. Not sure if I should put on my GIK shirt or Gearslutz shirt.

One thing I must tell you about my buddy. He has done VERY WELL, but he is also one of those people that has a "If I build it they will come" kind of way of thinking of things. I will say it does work for him.
Part of the story I did not tell you is I went back through his books and found just as much profit he is wasting as he would make with the new press. Meaning he could invest nothing, change a few things with his company and still make a TON. But like you (and me, may I add) it ain't all about the money sometimes. It is about getting to do what you really want to do in life and the money is only the "you did it right" sign of it all.

Glenn
Words to live by. Exellent!
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

If you build it, will they come?

Answer this : Why should they?

Because you have a small SSL, or because you are good at your craft? How is your business limited by the absence of the SSL? There is a very important distinction between want and need that you should acknowledge.

What about guys like Tchad Blake who are doing a good deal of mixing ITB now? The ITB/OTB debate might go miles on this board, but with clients it will go nowhere. They don't care as long as the product is good. Your biggest limitation is your skill set, truthfully.

This may not sound fair, but typically I'd assume someone with a desk like that and a limited portfolio is either rich or trying to compensate for a lack of skills. People have done great things on far lesser equipment for years. Gear lust is dangerous and unnecessary. We're all guilty of that to varying degrees, just by logging in here. The SSL is no replacement for mad skills, a client list and a good business plan. Don't put the cart before the horse. $0.02.
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Addict

I've been in post for 20 years now. 1st at big facilities and for the past 4 years running my own little shop. Recently I've been bored to death, been using AMS Audiofile and O2R forever. I've been neglecting the biz and just sort of maintaining the clients that I have. Then I bought a Euphonix MC and started running Nuendo with it - Now I look forward to going to work again. There's a lot to learn, I'm making marketing calls, putting the time in again. This is not an ad for MC or Nuendo, but rather an example of a tool or tools being worth more than the job they do - when you run your own shop, motivation is as important as anything.
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark714 View Post
If you build it, will they come?

Answer this : Why should they?

Because you have a small SSL, or because you are good at your craft? How is your business limited by the absence of the SSL? There is a very important distinction between want and need that you should acknowledge.

What about guys like Tchad Blake who are doing a good deal of mixing ITB now? The ITB/OTB debate might go miles on this board, but with clients it will go nowhere. They don't care as long as the product is good. Your biggest limitation is your skill set, truthfully.

This may not sound fair, but typically I'd assume someone with a desk like that and a limited portfolio is either rich or trying to compensate for a lack of skills. People have done great things on far lesser equipment for years. Gear lust is dangerous and unnecessary. We're all guilty of that to varying degrees, just by logging in here. The SSL is no replacement for mad skills, a client list and a good business plan. Don't put the cart before the horse. $0.02.
Yes, clients certainly don't care about ITB vs. OTB. But I am neither rich nor lacking in skills. The AWS900 just makes sense to me, and I know it makes NO sense to lot of people on this forum. After using the Control24 for 3 years, I am not particularly enamored with it. Good thing it didn't cost a fortune. Moving to another control surface seems like a step sideways to me. Yes, better control, and?

I used a Fairlight MFX3 with a Soundtracs DPC digital board for about 6 years previous to this. God, I miss the Fairlight so much some days. So. F*ing. Fast. Anyway, that was a great setup for post. Very flexible. Can I get by with what I have now? Yes.

As someone already pointed out, you can "get by" with a KB and mouse. But not if you have clients. I will never, ever be that guy : I know, I'll move the studio to my basement, buy a laptop and an Mbox. There. Easy. I am good at what I do and could make that work, absolutely. But I don't even want to attract that kind of mentality - that is, I don't want to work with clients who would even consider that. In fact , I turn away very low budget work often. Not worth it.
Anyway, sorry, I'm rambling now.
I feel kinda smug that my first thread on GS got this much attention. Thanks everyone!

Neal
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAudioInc View Post
I've been in post for 20 years now. 1st at big facilities and for the past 4 years running my own little shop. Recently I've been bored to death, been using AMS Audiofile and O2R forever. I've been neglecting the biz and just sort of maintaining the clients that I have. Then I bought a Euphonix MC and started running Nuendo with it - Now I look forward to going to work again. There's a lot to learn, I'm making marketing calls, putting the time in again. This is not an ad for MC or Nuendo, but rather an example of a tool or tools being worth more than the job they do - when you run your own shop, motivation is as important as anything.
That's what I'm talkin' about!
Old 24th August 2007
Quote:
Yes, you have some great points there, albeit a little harsh....
Neal
ok, FIRST of all, his comments are HARDLY harsh.

HARSH is 15 years later when you're in DEBT up to your (i)balls,

and ALL your gear is OBSOLETE, and ALL the business in town is GONE,

because EVERYONE has IRS (iPhone recording studio - Version 7.1).

and THIS is harsh, and not because it's HARSH, but because it's REALITY.

now, i'm not saying you will FAIL, but i will say the CHANCES ARE YOU WILL FAIL.

(i understand FAIL is a funny word - it TOTALLY depends on WHAT the GOALS are).

if you have a REAL BUSINESS PLAN based in REALITY,

then you have a CHANCE to succeed.

you wanted advice, and you're getting it - going into lots of debt

to get into the music recording circuit in your area is a OBVIOUSLY a huge risk.

however, if it's your calling, and you can't HELP yourself,

you're doomed heh

good luck, whatever you decide.

just remember, DEBT is DEBT, and it mostly doesn't GO AWAY BY ITSELF...

it may not be the biggest deal when you're 20 or 30, even 35,

but god help you if you're STILL trying to play catch up with the cover of MIX

when you're 40 or 50.....unless you're the SH&T, by then...

if you have an UNDENIABLE business plan, you CAN WIN, even WIN BIG,

but where to get this plan......THIS is the question -

the ROI has to come from SOMEWHERE, no??

i would also recommend staying on top of the newest IRS software -

you know, just for TRANSFER PROTOCOL COMPATIBILITY...

Old 24th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye View Post
ok, FIRST of all, his comments are HARDLY harsh.

HARSH is 15 years later when you're in DEBT up to your (i)balls,

and ALL your gear is OBSOLETE, and ALL the business in town is GONE,

because EVERYONE has IRS (iPhone recording studio - Version 7.1).

and THIS is harsh, and not because it's HARSH, but because it's REALITY.

now, i'm not saying you will FAIL, but i will say the CHANCES ARE YOU WILL FAIL.

(i understand FAIL is a funny word - it TOTALLY depends on WHAT the GOALS are).

if you have a REAL BUSINESS PLAN based in REALITY,

then you have a CHANCE to succeed.

you wanted advice, and you're getting it - going into lots of debt

to get into the music recording circuit in your area is a OBVIOUSLY a huge risk.

however, if it's your calling, and you can't HELP yourself,

you're doomed heh

good luck, whatever you decide.

just remember, DEBT is DEBT, and it mostly doesn't GO AWAY BY ITSELF...

it may not be the biggest deal when you're 20 or 30, even 35,

but god help you if you're STILL trying to play catch up with the cover of MIX

when you're 40 or 50.....unless you're the SH&T, by then...

if you have an UNDENIABLE business plan, you CAN WIN, even WIN BIG,

but where to get this plan......THIS is the question -

the ROI has to come from SOMEWHERE, no??

i would also recommend staying on top of the newest IRS software -

you know, just for TRANSFER PROTOCOL COMPATIBILITY...

You're right, reality IS harsh sometimes. I am not discounting the byre's comments or yours - in fact, these cautionary tales are the ones that really sink in. Although I may seem optimistic, even naive, I fashion myself a realist.

Being a newbie on this forum (not an audio newbie), I am trying to be respectful of everyone, and I'm treading lightly.

I too, have known a business or two who have lost everything and gone chapter 11 trying to keep up. But I also have friends who run their own businesses who have taken huge risks and they have paid off. They are an inspiration. Not in the post/music biz, but nevertheless, tons of advice. They tend to be cautiously optimistic.
A common denominator : solid business plan.
Cheers,

Neal
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear
Hi Neal, me again (trying to keep it short, as it is nearly beer-o'clock).

Tread lightly? Sometimes this lot needs someone to put the boot in!

1. I absolutely agree with the sentiment of buying nice kit to motivate me to work. After all, it is the person who is the biggest investment and cost factor, not some silly box. That person has to be happy. Tools, chairs, lighting, beer.

2. I don't like the desk. Technically, it's brilliant and mechanically it is very well built. But I don't like it from a business point of view. For what you are doing, I think it costs too much. And in this age of falling prices for post work, keeping costs down is everything.

3. I'm seeing a big growth in so-called micro-projects in film and TV just lately. Film made on digital cameras and with budgets South of $1m. These are action and story driven and often those involved are working for points. And the people doing this stuff are not who you think (i.e. students and out-of-work actors and directors) but people with serious movie credits.

4. Many many years ago, when I was a struggling freelancer, I did a gig at one of the top studios in Europe. The guy who owned it told me proudly how much the new SSL had cost. "Wow!" I said, impressed. "That's rather expensive!"

"For me," he said, "The equipment cannot be expensive enough!"

A few years later, he leased two Sony Oxfords and two 48-track DASH recorders. That lease, together with the mortgage on the building and all the other debts he had piled up, all became one big stone for Sisyphus to push up the mountain. When the local broadcasters stopped using him and went to someone cheaper, the whole house of cards came crashing down and he was bankrupt.

My studio is half the size of his place, but it is mine. It took me twice as long to get there and the studio is half the size, but NOTHING belongs to the bank or to a leasing company. I am not Sisyphus and I do not have a rock to push up a mountainside.

That means, if the weather is good and I want to fiddle with one of my old cars, I hope that the customers stay away (or we have a lock-out of course!) I can go riding or talk to the dogs or drink beer, or better still, do all three at once.

5. Think about those micro-budget films, often sponsored by the government. Now think about the guy with four small rooms (Soundscape, Mackie etc.) He employs college leavers and they do a great job, working on minor TV work, local films and that sort of thing. He's developed quite a business!

6. I went to Germany on business a few months back and visited a sound design studio. I thought that they would have at least an Icon or two and some nice live rooms, given the projects they were working on. All they used was cheap mics, four-channel Soundcraft Spirits and M-Boxes with PCs. The studios were just ordinary offices with acoustic foam on the walls.

Over all the 40-something years I've been in this business (taking time out to study economics, play at being soldiers and do jobs like truck-driving to put food on the table) I have been told many times that I should 'take the plunge' and 'risk it all' etc., etc.

I have watched others do just that and end up with massive studios, almost overnight. The money poured in, but the money poured out as well.

I'm still in business and so are a few people who started out at the same time as I did. We jokingly say to one another that we've known each other since we had hair.

But everywhere I look, I see bailiffs putting coloured stickers onto SSL desks and writing lot numbers down in a book.
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre View Post
Hi Neal, me again (trying to keep it short, as it is nearly beer-o'clock).

Tread lightly? Sometimes this lot needs someone to put the boot in!

1. I absolutely agree with the sentiment of buying nice kit to motivate me to work. After all, it is the person who is the biggest investment and cost factor, not some silly box. That person has to be happy. Tools, chairs, lighting, beer.

2. I don't like the desk. Technically, it's brilliant and mechanically it is very well built. But I don't like it from a business point of view. For what you are doing, I think it costs too much. And in this age of falling prices for post work, keeping costs down is everything.

3. I'm seeing a big growth in so-called micro-projects in film and TV just lately. Film made on digital cameras and with budgets South of $1m. These are action and story driven and often those involved are working for points. And the people doing this stuff are not who you think (i.e. students and out-of-work actors and directors) but people with serious movie credits.

4. Many many years ago, when I was a struggling freelancer, I did a gig at one of the top studios in Europe. The guy who owned it told me proudly how much the new SSL had cost. "Wow!" I said, impressed. "That's rather expensive!"

"For me," he said, "The equipment cannot be expensive enough!"

A few years later, he leased two Sony Oxfords and two 48-track DASH recorders. That lease, together with the mortgage on the building and all the other debts he had piled up, all became one big stone for Sisyphus to push up the mountain. When the local broadcasters stopped using him and went to someone cheaper, the whole house of cards came crashing down and he was bankrupt.

My studio is half the size of his place, but it is mine. It took me twice as long to get there and the studio is half the size, but NOTHING belongs to the bank or to a leasing company. I am not Sisyphus and I do not have a rock to push up a mountainside.

That means, if the weather is good and I want to fiddle with one of my old cars, I hope that the customers stay away (or we have a lock-out of course!) I can go riding or talk to the dogs or drink beer, or better still, do all three at once.

5. Think about those micro-budget films, often sponsored by the government. Now think about the guy with four small rooms (Soundscape, Mackie etc.) He employs college leavers and they do a great job, working on minor TV work, local films and that sort of thing. He's developed quite a business!

6. I went to Germany on business a few months back and visited a sound design studio. I thought that they would have at least an Icon or two and some nice live rooms, given the projects they were working on. All they used was cheap mics, four-channel Soundcraft Spirits and M-Boxes with PCs. The studios were just ordinary offices with acoustic foam on the walls.

Over all the 40-something years I've been in this business (taking time out to study economics, play at being soldiers and do jobs like truck-driving to put food on the table) I have been told many times that I should 'take the plunge' and 'risk it all' etc., etc.

I have watched others do just that and end up with massive studios, almost overnight. The money poured in, but the money poured out as well.

I'm still in business and so are a few people who started out at the same time as I did. We jokingly say to one another that we've known each other since we had hair.

But everywhere I look, I see bailiffs putting coloured stickers onto SSL desks and writing lot numbers down in a book.
Great post! OK, you're starting to make more sense.
But I can't be talked out of an awesome room!
I wish I could join you for that beer...

Neal
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Maniac

East Coast of Canada eh Evil G?

The clues to your identity are piling up, and i think i know you.

Rob
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefirehooligan View Post
East Coast of Canada eh Evil G?

The clues to your identity are piling up, and i think i know you.

Rob
Umm...I'm not trying to hide....it's me, Neal Gaudet.
Rob....Rob....who? Where are you? How do I know you?

Neal
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Guru

Neal maybe you don't want to answer this, which I totally understand, but lets cut to the cheeze.

1) How much of a investment would this be?
2) What is your break even at this point?
3) Would you buy it right out or lease it and if leasing how much are the payments?
4) What is your yearly revenue?
5) How much would you need to increase in revenue for this new piece?
6) How much are you HOPING to increase with this new piece?
7) With all things equal, if you do not increase in revenue can you still make a go of it? Meaning would it break you if nothing else changed in your place.
8) Are there any other upgrades you need to make in the next couple years and how much of a impact will that have on this purchase?

BTW, you really sound like the kind of guy I would like to hang out with. Your kind of like me, you listen to everyone.
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Maniac

I didn't say you where hiding, i just don't like using other peoples real names on the internet thats all.

I'm Rob Barron, you where one of my instructors at CATAC for my first semester. I think it was DSO100. You gave us the Matrix trailer to add sound effects to. Im easy to remember, i wear think framed glasses, and have bigger dreams then money seems to allow me to accomplish.

Rob
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Neal maybe you don't want to answer this, which I totally understand, but lets cut to the cheeze.

1) How much of a investment would this be?
2) What is your break even at this point?
3) Would you buy it right out or lease it and if leasing how much are the payments?
4) What is your yearly revenue?
5) How much would you need to increase in revenue for this new piece?
6) How much are you HOPING to increase with this new piece?
7) With all things equal, if you do not increase in revenue can you still make a go of it? Meaning would it break you if nothing else changed in your place.
8) Are there any other upgrades you need to make in the next couple years and how much of a impact will that have on this purchase?
Yep, those questions have to answered, and I'm in that process. Rather not answer them on a public forum though. I can say that I will need at least a 50% increase in revenue. No small feat. There are other upgrades that I need as well.

You know, the thing I miss the most about working at my previous job (big post house) is NOT actually the gear, it's working with other good people. I am all alone here, just me and the gear most of the time. In my new place, if there ever is one, I look forward to working with a team again. Yet more costs there, obviously.

But if I had an editor with "mad" skills, I could double the amount of work going through here. That would do it. 2-3 more docs and 2-3 more series a year would be perfect.

Glenn, if you're going to AES, then PM me closer to the show and let's have a beer.

quote: "BTW, you really sound like the kind of guy I would like to hang out with. Your kind of like me, you listen to everyone. "

I have been told many times that I am diplomatic . Not sure if that is good, bad, or indifferent in this industry....

Cheers

Neal
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
I didn't say you where hiding, i just don't like using other peoples real names on the internet thats all.

I'm Rob Barron, you where one of my instructors at CATAC for my first semester. I think it was DSO100. You gave us the Matrix trailer to add sound effects to. Im easy to remember, i wear think framed glasses, and have bigger dreams then money seems to allow me to accomplish.

Rob
Oh, right! Hi Rob. You're a car nut too, right? Or, in GS-speak, a carslut? How are things? Saw some of your other posts, looks like you're keeping busy in post and music. Bigger dreams than money will allow is the way it is. At least you've got some skills and you're motivated, and that's a good combo to have this early in your career.
Best,

Neal

Last edited by Evil_G; 24th August 2007 at 07:40 PM.. Reason: forgot to add something
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Hey Neal,

Well, im actually a recovering Carslut. I had to choose between car or audio, and last time i checked a career in audio post was more tangible then feeding my family from racing cars. I still test drive and tune cars, but ive slowed down alot, i have a Mitsu Evo 9 in my parking garage right now thats going back to Maine tomorrow since im done tuning it now.

Im slowly building up a home set-up, along with working on alot of Hiphop with the local crews. Making Pizza to pay my way threw school. Learning to write and read music and play instruments for real.

Thanks for the kind words, im working hard on the skills and trying to learn as much possible, and im about to start working on some Demo reels for when im done school. And im Engineering/Producing/Writing an RnB album with a friend if mine.

Oh and if your ever looking for an Intern, I work for free or should i say experience.

Just a thought on the thread at hand though. I know your working in Protools, possibly threw your Digi002, maybe not, its been awhile since we have spoke. But have you thought about a MCU with a pair of extenders, and some outboard Pre's or channel strips and a summing box or 2? could tailor your sound, and save some cash at the same time.

But then again, the SSL is hard to beat. Like you said, it would be the only SSL around i think, in a commercial facility anyways. closest thing around is the Neve at the Temple, But they dont do any post work at all.

Thanks again,

Rob
Old 24th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAudioInc View Post
Quote:
That's what I'm talkin' about!
I agree, for my studio there was nothing like a new piece of gear to boost morale...

But these days you could limit that to a new plug in every now and then...
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Hey Neal,

Well, im actually a recovering Carslut. I had to choose between car or audio, and last time i checked a career in audio post was more tangible then feeding my family from racing cars. I still test drive and tune cars, but ive slowed down alot, i have a Mitsu Evo 9 in my parking garage right now thats going back to Maine tomorrow since im done tuning it now.

Im slowly building up a home set-up, along with working on alot of Hiphop with the local crews. Making Pizza to pay my way threw school. Learning to write and read music and play instruments for real.

Thanks for the kind words, im working hard on the skills and trying to learn as much possible, and im about to start working on some Demo reels for when im done school. And im Engineering/Producing/Writing an RnB album with a friend if mine.

Oh and if your ever looking for an Intern, I work for free or should i say experience.

Just a thought on the thread at hand though. I know your working in Protools, possibly threw your Digi002, maybe not, its been awhile since we have spoke. But have you thought about a MCU with a pair of extenders, and some outboard Pre's or channel strips and a summing box or 2? could tailor your sound, and save some cash at the same time.

But then again, the SSL is hard to beat. Like you said, it would be the only SSL around i think, in a commercial facility anyways. closest thing around is the Neve at the Temple, But they dont do any post work at all.

Thanks again,

Rob
Hey man. Wow, you are busy! That's great, there aren't a lot of students with who are that keen. Keep it up! I don't have anything for an intern yet, but I'll keep you in mind.
I don't use a Digi002 at work. It's PT HD2 Accel. Need it for the kind of work I do.
At home, I have a Digi002 and a Dual G5 with some other humble toys that I use only for music projects - I do a bit of music writing for TV on the side. The slutty-est thing I have at home is Yamaha Baby Grand (my wife is a full time music teacher, from home).
As far as the MCU goes, yes I have tried that unit, and there's nothing wrong with it, it's just a coke vs. pepsi thing if you compare it to what I already have. No better, no worse, just different.
I am going to make a prediction that someday, we will all look back at this flaming debate over ITB vs. OTB and laugh. "What would we do now, without BTB ?". Insert your own acronym. I like "Between the Box". Or "Beside the Box". Yeah. That's it.

Best,
Neal
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
I agree, for my studio there was nothing like a new piece of gear to boost morale...

But these days you could limit that to a new plug in every now and then...
I guess so. There's always a Duende. 1/45th the price but 1/2 the sound! That's really quite a deal when you think about it...

Neal
Old 25th August 2007

yes, if you build it, "they" will come.

just make sure "they" are clients who are good people w/ money

and are not:

broke clients calling favors
repo men
IRS, or other national equivalent
debt collectors
bankruptcy lawyers
etc.

if you focus on the business plan, you should be fine...

financial statements and balance sheet w/projections
with a plan for future growth, knowlege of your market,
an ear to the streets,
a crystal ball, rabbit's foot, and several chicken feet,

and plenty of luck and joi de vivre,

and you should be all set.

income and expenses, at the end of the day....

i wish you the best.

Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

What I've learned from my studio -

If you build a REPUTATION - they will come regardless of the equipment.

To address another theme of the thread - I find that when I get a new piece of gear that re-energizes me - I spend a WHOLE lotta time remixing stuff that amounts to zero billable hours.... doesn't mean I don't pick up new gear all the time - just seems like I spend a measurable amount of time on things that don't pay for the gear.

If you build it - they might come - but they'll still be $20 short at the end of the session............

cww2
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

In a word "no" You have to sell them on why they should come. And that is getting the person the sound they are looking for. Most people have no idea what great gear is they care about how things sound. If you get kick ass results with a $500 setup and people want that sound, you're the guy.
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
But like you (and me, may I add) it ain't all about the money sometimes. It is about getting to do what you really want to do in life and the money is only the "you did it right" sign of it all.

nicely put thumbsup.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cww2 View Post
What I've learned from my studio -

If you build a REPUTATION - they will come regardless of the equipment.

To address another theme of the thread - I find that when I get a new piece of gear that re-energizes me - I spend a WHOLE lotta time remixing stuff that amounts to zero billable hours.... doesn't mean I don't pick up new gear all the time - just seems like I spend a measurable amount of time on things that don't pay for the gear.

If you build it - they might come - but they'll still be $20 short at the end of the session............

cww2
Totally true....NUT folks will always be looking around for the next cool thing, and you have to kep your spot fresh or they might find it.
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Nut

I probably should have mentioned earlier...the place I'm in right now is miserable. Old old building, and not a remodeled , cool funky kinda vibe, just old and crappy. I'm still attracting some clients because they like my work, but deep down, I can tell they are a little bummed out about the space too. My home studio is waaay nicer as far as space.

So looking forward to a new place as much as some new gear.
It's so hard to find that perfect spot. More than one producer I work with says they want to sit on the couch and look out the window to an expansive view of the harbour while doing VO sessions. Yeesh. I'd love that too.
It's been said many times in this thread already: give 'em what they want - I can say that 'they' want a room that belongs on the cover of Architectural Digest. Gear is , indeed, secondary to that. And really, a nice space probably does as much for morale as any piece of gear. So the trick is to find that balance....I'm working on it.

Thanks all,

Neal

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search