The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
6.1, 7.1, 9.1 !!! whats it going to be? Studio Monitors
Old 10th April 2004
Lives for gear

6.1, 7.1, 9.1 !!! whats it going to be?

it seems that all new (consumer) a/v receivers are supporting at least 6.1 and 7.1, and there are receivers that do up to 9.1!!
7.1 seems to be a manufacturer specific adaption of 6.1 (dolby digital ex, dts es). don't know if 9.1 is 'sdds' or some manufacturer based 'enhancement'.

most studios still seem to be doing 5.1. i'm wanting to know how many clients are already wanting their mixes in more than 5.1 channels? i'm planning on a multichannel mix room (the focus being on non 'big screen' work), whats the standard i should want to consider to protect my investment for say, 10 years... whats going to be the strongest multichannel standard to emerge in the next few years?

self.
Old 10th April 2004
Gear Addict

stereo is still the standard but 5.1 i believe is next in line..most consumer systems are becoming 5.1 . personally i think it's time for 12.1 or better yet 24.1 . just think of all the fun comming up with a agreed format...i would be willing to bet that right now the only multichannel dvds selling to the point of profitability are the ones compatable with todays dvd players...then the question is will consumers be happy to hear music on their surround system while the television stays black....?
Old 10th April 2004
Lives for gear

so Magic Alex was right!
Old 10th April 2004
Lives for gear

150.1 would be the best.... I think we could just live in a room full of baby monitors with out any gap .... oh yes.....
Old 10th April 2004
Lives for gear

TomHolman...whose initals make up THX...has an amazing 10.2 evolution...initally used in performing spaces...who knows if it will filter down to consumers
Old 11th April 2004
There is only one

it will be 5.1 in homes for a LONG time. if thats what you are mixing music for, shoot for that. im more perplexed because im goign to move over to film mixing [i LOVE movies and sound design and have been doing something similar in animation and short films] and im ONLY going to do independant films.... BUT some [most] will certainly go to DVD so 5.1 is the call... but for the few that make it to a big screen even for a festival [which a few might] what do i mix in for that?!? anyone know this?

are there ANY film/post/scoring people here, or is it ALL music guys? i wish we could get a film thread... for scoring ideas to mix formats to foley work to sound design.
Old 11th April 2004
Lives for gear

people don't even know how to set up 5.1 properly
Old 11th April 2004
There is only one

the problem with 5.1 AUDIO. the specs are all wrong. they must adapt to film setups which are sub sat with a 4 LRSS and center channel in dappolito usually with sub.

not the 5 equal full range speakers plus sub like audio calls for.
Old 11th April 2004
2.1 is multichannel right?

I prefer that.

2.0 is even good with the right set of speakers.
Old 11th April 2004
There is only one

all i got to say is when i was at wireworld doing a surround mix on ADAM S3A's in 5.1,,,, OMFG i have never had a better time mixing and the result would KILL the stereo version.
Old 11th April 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by C.Lambrechts
people don't even know how to set up 5.1 properly
That's the truth. Not to mention that each format has it's own speaker placement. One has 2 surrounds facing forward, another has 2 surrounds facing each other on the sides of the listener, another has them at an angle facing forward from the corners.

Also most people's houses aren't set up for proper surround. People put speakers wherever they can fit them into their decorations. I think most people aren't concerned with turning their living room into a theater. Sad as the power of 5.1 is incredible and I feel is in it's infancy.
Old 11th April 2004
Gear Nut

i can see 5.1 being the consumer standard for quite some time. other formats will emerge (mainly for theatres), but most will be matrix encodeds, and the source material will still be discretly mixed in 5.1.

sure ... we can fantasize about 126.2, etc .... but can you even IMAGE mixing to 126 discrete channels!!!! LOL!! Would certainly want to have an advanced matrix that encodes most of the spatial enhancement for you.

Currently my favorite 5.1 music mix is Porcupine Tree's InAbsentia -- was mixed by Sheiner. GreatMix!! But not in high resolution ... just 24/48k (i wonder why).

Anyhow ... you may find some short-term answers here::

http://www.wired4music.com/surround_faqs.htm

Wolfgang
Old 11th April 2004
Lives for gear

Nice link
Old 11th April 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
all i got to say is when i was at wireworld doing a surround mix on ADAM S3A's in 5.1,,,, OMFG i have never had a better time mixing and the result would KILL the stereo version.
I wish everybody here could experience mixing their own material with this setup (not just listening to your favorite 5.1 recording, but actually mixing). I bet a lot more engineers would get excited about the format.

I just finished up another music for DVD project about a month ago, ground-up 5.1 surround. Now I gotta go back to stereo for an album. That's the problem,
going back to stereo after working in surround is like putting on clothes that don't fit anymore.

Still, I use the S3A's for stereo too, so it's not too bad heh
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search